GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"ve just been watching the Richard Hammond TV prog about Bond Cars . Sean Connery drove a Toyota 2000 gt with the roof sawn off . This car is a predecessor to the GT86 which means technically you are all driving Bond cars. . Also for the film Toyota converted the Gt into a convertable in 2 weeks as Connery was too tall to fit in. So please could Toyota do the same for me if I buy a gt86 :)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I've just watched this as well, got to say, the 2000 GT is a rather stunning looking car!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Good God! Don't sound so surprised. The 2000GT is a well known 60s sports car and well known for appearing in You Only Live Twice.

Toyota have said a lot about how they used elements of this car as inspiration for the GT86 design.

Oh and I've owned a couple of Renault 11s in my time. So have genuinely owned a couple of bond cars.
Edited by: Targ86

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Regrettably, 007 didn't actually drive the Toyota GT ... He was merely given a lift in it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Senna said:
Regrettably, 007 didn't actually drive the Toyota GT ... He was merely given a lift in it.
True. Passenger in car fiddling with the small sony tv screen.

[A car chasing Aki and Bond gets picked up by Tanaka's helicopter and gets dropped into the ocean.] Tiger Tanaka: How is that for Japanese efficiency? Bond: Just a drop in the ocean.

A drop in the ocean is also the name of the John Barry track from the film.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Oldboyracer said:
Or a bright orange Bond Bug perhaps ?

I am very impressed with the 2000gt - I just wish that Toyota had incorporated Pop up headlights into the GT86 design .
Are pop up headlights allowed anymore? Didn't they get removed from a lot of cars eg MX5 as they cause more injuries to pedestrians (apart from being hit by over a ton of steel at 50mph that is)

Alec

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
a18ttc said:
Senna said:
Oooh, was it a Sony TV, I didn't notice

Its funny how long ago product placement started in films

Alec

·
Registered
655 Posts
keelerad said:
Oldboyracer said:
Or a bright orange Bond Bug perhaps ?

I am very impressed with the 2000gt - I just wish that Toyota had incorporated Pop up headlights into the GT86 design .
Are pop up headlights allowed anymore? Didn't they get removed from a lot of cars eg MX5 as they cause more injuries to pedestrians (apart from being hit by over a ton of steel at 50mph that is)

Alec
<div id="LCS_336D0C35_8A85_403a_B9D2_65C292C39087_communicationDiv">

Indeed - about a decade ago.

First part of the anti-Darwin legislation that makes most moderns look like they were designed by Cyrano de Bergerac that you can't see out of properly so are more likely to hit stuff in.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
As an 'Old Boy Racer' you don't need any mods to the GT86...

I will admit it took me a few minutes to modify the passenger compartmentto accomodatemy colostomy bag.. and the wiring iscomplex if you need a medi-pump for maintenance chemotherapy..

.. but my Toyota dealers (and the NHS) rose to the challenge! As did Sky Insurance!

SpecK

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that's a really heart warming story - i"m very pleased to hear your car has been modified to your needs . I admire what you"ve done - I hope you get many years of pleasure out of your gt86

·
Registered
25 Posts
a18ttc said:
Senna said:

[A car chasing Aki and Bond gets picked up by Tanaka's helicopter and gets dropped into the ocean.] Tiger Tanaka: How is that for Japanese efficiency? Bond: Just a drop in the ocean.
Another interesting fact is that Aki didn't know how to drive and it's Hiroshi Fushida and Tomohiko Tsutsumi, Toyota test drivers (wearing wigs!) who take her place for the scenes when the car was moving.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pop up headlights were outlawed in 1999 in Europe & US because of pedestrian safety. Only a few manufacturers continued to make cars with them for a short time. Mazda for example, made the RX-7 (FD3S) until 2002 (For Japanese market only). It's gotten ridiculous these days. R35 GT-R's have explosive bonnet struts which will raise the bonnet in the event of a small frontal impact... Even a minor nudge & this can cost thousands for a minor impact as a result.

Too much safety rubbish on cars these days, IMHO. If I were a pedestrian about to get hit at 50 mph I wouldn't be the least worried about whether the car had pop up headlights or not!

·
Registered
71 Posts
There's a beautiful 2000GT with a cross-cut engine beside it on display at the Toyota museum in Nagoya (Japan).A stunningly beautiful car close up. I have pics, but unfortunately on my laptop only which isn't with me for another couple of weeks.... !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.