GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my GT 86 scheduled for delivery on the 29th September
, it is time to sort out insurance. I phoned Toyota Insurance to activate the free 3 day 'drive home' insurance, and they gave me a quote for 12 months insurance - £</font></font>402
</font>. I then did a search on a comparison web site, and can get fully comprehensive insurance for the car from £</font></font>186 (through LV)</font>! When I phoned Toyota back, they were not prepared to lower their quote, and their only justification for their price was that, should the worse happen, the car would be repaired by a Toyota approved shop, using only genuine Toyota parts, and that any remaining warranty would be fully protected.<div sab="847">
<div sab="848">My question for the collective wisdom of the forum is - is the additional cost of insuring through Toyota worth it? I also tried Sky Insurance, and they were a joke, despite the 'club discount' the best they could come up with was ~790 pound

<div sab="850">
<div sab="851">Dave

Edited by: Pitman

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got a card when I pitched up mine and was told to ring the number on it if I had an accident and they would liaise with my insurance company to make sure it goes to an approved Toyota centre and gets genuine Toyota parts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ces17 said:
I got a card when I pitched up mine and was told to ring the number on it if I had an accident and they would liaise with my insurance company to make sure it goes to an approved Toyota centre and gets genuine Toyota parts
Thank you for the reply. So that means that, who ever he insurance is with, you are assured of getting genuine Toyota parts used? If so, the extra cost of Toyota Insurance does not seem to be justified.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Its just scare tactics to get you to go with them - if insurers do not repair cars to the required standard then the liability for the repairs/subsequent failures lies with them

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
cleloid said:
Its - if insurers do not repair cars to the required standard then the liability for the repairs/subsequent failures lies with them

But they won't take on any remaining warranty previously covered by Toyota.

I think this is actually an interesting point. If you had a big shunt and 'Joe Bloggs' insurance company repair your car then normally in the small print it states they will use OE spec parts, not necessarily original parts. Now consider the possible scenario that some of the parts they have replaced are suspension parts and then a few months later something else fails on your drive train, would Toyota still cover it?

Could be a bit ofsticky situation and something you may want to bear in mind if you are(in the unfortunate situation of) having accident damage repaired.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
On a somewhat related note, I contacted Toyota UK and asked for a detailed copy of the warranty T&C's to be sent to me - they replied and told me to speak to my dealer! Very helpful!!

(infact that's the second time they've done on the only two issues i've raised with them, piss poor if you ask me)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Martin F said:
cleloid said:
Its - if insurers do not repair cars to the required standard then the liability for the repairs/subsequent failures lies with them

But they won't take on any remaining warranty previously covered by Toyota.

I think this is actually an interesting point. If you had a big shunt and 'Joe Bloggs' insurance company repair your car then normally in the small print it states they will use OE spec parts, not necessarily original parts. Now consider the possible scenario that some of the parts they have replaced are suspension parts and then a few months later something else fails on your drive train, would Toyota still cover it?

Could be a bit ofsticky situation and something you may want to bear in mind if you are(in the unfortunate situation of) having accident damage repaired.

In your example the failure would be down to the root cause/attributable part so the Insurer would still be liable - the problem is proving it. If you deal with a decent insurance company they will usually use approved centres (both motor industry & insurance) probably the same centers that Toyota use for their insurance,I'm not sure who underwrites thier products.In any case you could ask them to use the same center (or at least a quote) to do repairs. TBH I think we would have heard much more about this issue if it was a problem as Toyota have a big reputation to protect Edited by: cleloid

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
cleloid said:
In your example the failure would be down to the root cause/attributable part so the Insurer would still be liable - the problem is proving it.

Sorry I disagree, if the accident repair centre replaced a strut and say a lower wishbone (with OE spec parts) at the front of the car, and then later on the diff gave up the ghost i'd say that the liability should be with Toyota. Now they could wriggle and say there is evidence of the car not being maintained with original parts which is a requirement of the warranty.

The same applies to those modifying their cars, but as you imply you'd like to hope Toyota will be reasonable in their judgement in warranty situations. In fact the warranty description in the service book does not seem to be as hard and fixed as you'd perhaps expect, IIRC it says something along the lines of 'attributable to the use of non-original parts'

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Manufacturer insurance schemes are always a rip-off.

Whoever does it will be using Subaru parts anyway

·
Registered
223 Posts
Martin F said:
cleloid said:
In your example the failure would be down to the root cause/attributable part so the Insurer would still be liable - the problem is proving it.

Sorry I disagree, if the accident repair centre replaced a strut and say a lower wishbone (with OE spec parts) at the front of the car, and then later on the diff gave up the ghost i'd say that the liability should be with Toyota. Now they could wriggle and say there is evidence of the car not being maintained with original parts which is a requirement of the warranty.

The same applies to those modifying their cars, but as you imply you'd like to hope Toyota will be reasonable in their judgement in warranty situations. In fact the warranty description in the service book does not seem to be as hard and fixed as you'd perhaps expect, IIRC it says something along the lines of 'attributable to the use of non-original parts'

I agree with you - there is no relationship or reasonable realtionship betweenthose parts and that would mean Toyota should be responsible under warranty - like me replacing the petrol cap with a third party product and then the engine blows up and toyota try and get out of the warranty
. If it was however an engine part - say a gasket or something - then they would probably be within their rights to refuse warranty as its not approved part and could lead to serious damage.

Its all designed to ensure that they get as much return as possible - as is everthing these days

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rob275 said:
Well i would love a quote that low... My current insurer has refused to insure me,and my cheapest quote is £1141.89. Not that i'm moaning, good price really :)
<div sab="839">
<div sab="840">Being officially 'middle aged', plus 9 years+ no claims helps

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the replies! Have a few days to make my mind up, so all opinions gratefully accepted!

G

·
£186? I'd bite their hand off!I was pretty pleased with my c £250 - full NCD, 50 yrs old, decent post code and history of RWD sports cars. £186 is a bargain!
Toyota are not competitive insurers, they're [shifty] car salesmen/dealers.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
lordgrover said:
£186? I'd bite their hand off!I was pretty pleased with my c £250 - full NCD, 50 yrs old, decent post code and history of RWD sports cars. £186 is a bargain!
Toyota are not competitive insurers, they're [shifty] car salesmen/dealers.
Im not sure abotu bite their hand off, more like snap!

I thought £470 was good!! Its 1.7% the value of the car!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lordgrover said:
£186? I'd bite their hand off!<div sab="839">I was pretty pleased with my c £250 - full NCD, <u sab="848"><strong sab="849">50 yrs old[/b][/u]</font>, decent post code and history of RWD sports cars. £186 is a bargain!
<div sab="840">Toyota are not competitive insurers, they're [shifty] car salesmen/dealers.
<div sab="844">
<div sab="845">That is where your problem is - you have to be middle aged http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19622330in order to get my type of quote

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Under £190 ? Bargain ! do it !

I paid £340 and thought I was GT86 Insurance champion... now I discover I am in fact an also-ran...even Sir Grover gave me a pasting !

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whitey83 said:
Has anyone had a quote off the car club insurance company that posted on here last week?
<div sab="839">
<div sab="840">If you are refering to Sky Insurance, I did - 790 pound! Totally rediculous

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.