GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way home tonight I got queued up in traffic for a few minutes because of an accident. When I got let through by the Police and Ambulance services I saw a transit positioned unusually with it's rear facing a ditch, after passed a few parked cars in a queue, the one at the front had a mangled and crushed front wing, door, bonnet, bumper etc. These sights always bring back the reality that cars aren't as tough as we think they are.

What really hit home was when I saw two children standing near the damaged car and one of the girls was holding their hand to their head, clearly upset.

Anyway, the point of posting this story was to volunteer a pledge as a member of this group that I hope others may wish to join in with.

I'm hoping that as GT86 owners we can swear to drive well and considerately, not take chances that'll potentially cause us or others harm and damage our new pride and joy cars. Let's keep ourselves and our cars safe so we have many years to enjoy them.

You get the idea.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Count me in as well...

Can I start something as well?

Is there a way that we can all tell who has what car or something like that as I know at some point some low life will steal one of our pride and joys and it would be nice if as a group we could help each other when needed coz lets face it the police won't care !
Any suggestions please?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I remember once joining the Type R owners club for a jolly setting off from the Humber Bridge. I drove a Civic Type R GT FN2 at the time. The club dished out before the start do's and don't's regarding speed limits, particularly in 30 and 40 mph areas, reckless overtaking, etc, etc. Great, I thought, a sensible club. Wrong! From the off it was reckless driving, overtaking opposite junctions, excessive speed, breaking all speeds through built up areas. With 20 Type R's all driving like idiots around the Hull area I quickly departed and never rejoined them for a club run out.

So, going back to the OP's initial comments, I completely agree it's a great thing to suggest but there are idiots in every club. I hope one day we can have regional club runs out and enjoy the social side of enjoying driving our great cars.

Just my 2p worth.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
How about starting a database of who Owens what car with chassis number kept on file and reg and colour as might help a need full member in the future ?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Its a good thought but is it ok to have all that info on a open public forum?

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Keethos said:
Not really, no.

Whilst I have nothing against the sentiment, I'm not convinced its particularly useful in practice.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Keethos said:
No, that is a professional car thieve's wet dream, particularly if they want to start ringing cars. One thing I've already noticed on here is that there are a fair number of registration numbers being posted up so if I was of a devious nature there would be plenty for me to choose from if I wanted to get some false plates made up and go for a high speed cruise through Gatso central.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The only ones getting a record of my reg number, chassis number, colour and model are :-
insurance company
MOT tester
service garage
police
etc

Dangerous to give out "personal" details about your car to all these days.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Martin F said:
Keethos said:
No, that is a professional car thieve's wet dream, particularly if they want to start ringing cars. One thing I've already noticed on here is that there are a fair number of registration numbers being posted up so if I was of a devious nature there would be plenty for me to choose from if I wanted to get some false plates made up and go for a high speed cruise through Gatso central.
How many potential thieves see you number plate on you drive to work? And when its parked somewhere?

I understand about other details but reg number are out for the world to see

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Ok was just trying to see if we could all be of help in a bad time that's all

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
GT86Owner said:
Martin F said:
How many potential thieves see you number plate on you drive to work? And when its parked somewhere?
A slight misunderstanding, with the reg I don't mean thieves so much as unscrupulous owners e.g. I've ordered a black GT86 and if I wanted to go on a midnight run through Gatso central all I need to do is take a look, from the comfort of my sofa, on this forum for a black GT86 reg number get some plates made up and fix them to the car and away I go. May seem far fetched but it does happen.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Martin F said:

Though I wouldn't be giving out VIN plate numbers to public forums, I think it's no problem to post number plates. They are after all on display 24/7 on your car and are visible to all and sundry. I've never disguised my plates and I've yet to receive one speeding ticket, well apart from the ones I earnt of course!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Martin F said:
GT86Owner said:
Martin F said:
A slight misunderstanding, with the reg I don't mean thieves so much as unscrupulous owners e.g. I've ordered a black GT86 and if I wanted to go on a midnight run through Gatso central all I need to do is take a look, from the comfort of my sofa, on this forum for a black GT86 reg number get some plates made up and fix them to the car and away I go. May seem far fetched but it does happen.
Ok I see your point amtad happen I suppose. At the same time if your at home and have witnesses your car was home you could prob argue that it was hijacked plate...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts