GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

How Toyota fixed my alarm

924 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MR2 
#1 ·
The alarm in my 2016 gt86 had been doing my head in since February and I couldn't figure out why. Basically when I would open the driver door to get into the car, obviously with my key with me, then when I push the start button or depress the clutch, the alarm would start going off. My neighbours probably hate me because this has happened on numerous occasions and also late at night. I searched all the forums but didn't see anyone with a similar issue and couldn't find a fix for it. I just thought the alarm was too sensitive, or the batteries in my keyfob were dead so I replaced them to no avail.

But then I realised something else was broken and it was the window on my driver side door. Usually because of the frame less doors when you open the door the window goes down a bit to allow the door to open easily. I noticed this stopped working on my drivers side door, but it was fine on the passenger side.

Luckily I still have a couple of months left on my 5 year warranty, so I took it to Toyota and they figured it out. Basically the door switch was broken, which was preventing the window from automatically going down when the door was opened, and it also meant the car thought that the door was closed even when I opened it. And because of that the car thought somebody was trying to steal the car when I tried to turn it on, and so the alarm was going off. Replacing the door switch did the trick, killed two birds with one stone.

I'm glad they figured it out because it was absolutely driving me nuts. If anyone has a similar issue then this might be it.

Anyway thanks for reading this long anecdote!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.