GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to say with recent events, I've been reconsidering how long I intend to keep my GT86. Originally thought, as this was my first ever new car, I'd be keeping it between 3 and 10 years but I'm thinking now that it'll definitely be closer to the 3, perhaps less.

But I'm very likely to be trading it in against another GT86... unless something more tempting appears on the market (I doubt it) and who knows, in 3 years there's likely to be a slightly remodelled version 2 available from Toyota.

How long are people thinking they'll keep their latest pride and joy..?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Someone on one of the American forums suggested he'd keep it till he died and passed it onto his son. He was looking forward in his later years to being that cool old dude with the quaint historic sports car, that you had to check out all the period mods on it. Even still got original parts to bring it back to proper concourse! But get this.... it still ran on gasoline!!

Personally don't see much point of swapping a 3 or 5 or 7 year old car for an identical new one. Will look hard at the last of normally aspirated ones if they follow the herd and go small turbo engine or the next model goes bigger n' heavier, though.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Kept my Celica T-Sport for 8 years from new

until the '86 came out there was nothing else I wanted

intend to keep this one for a similar sort of time

Alec

p.s. the Gen 7 is still gorgeous !Edited by: keelerad

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I am undecided on my situation, - it's not my daily drive, just a 'qualifying' car so unless something really stellar comes out, I may keep it for 5 years.

I won't put a big mileage on it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Can't say for certain whether I'll keep it beyond the 3-year finance period - 11k is quite a huge balloon payment. Besides, the RX9 will probably be out by then and I know I'll want one of them!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Prolly gonn keep mine around 4 years, as that will have payed off enough of the finance to allow a trade. Unless i stumble on somethign really fun, and get too hooked... again... :D

Only thing right now i can see replacing it, would be the drop top version when it comes out... :)

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
The Alfa 4c comes out next year, that will be £40k...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting responses, seems most of us intend to keep for a good 3 years or so. The soft top option would be interesting and I wonder how that would look in reality.

If I had to look into the crystal ball, I'd expect the next version GT86 to feature some minor cosmetic tweaks, different style alloys, slightly different spoiler and possibly a few extra BHP. Doubt they'd do much more at the moment but that's largely based on memory of how they tweaked the three versions of the Mk2 MR2 over it's lifespan.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Senna, can I enquire what the recent vents you refer to in your OP are? What has given you cause to change your mind?

Personally I can never predict when I'll get bored with a car, usually happens around 12 months, but I had my Volvo S80 V8 for three years. Testament to that car really. I should think the GT86 has a max shelf life of 2 years for me. That said there isn't much I want to replace it with (Alfa DOES look good of course..)

I will not sacrifice the sheer fun of driving for any old thing though.. One which I know is not to everyone's taste, but I like very much is the new Morgan. http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/morgan-eva-gt

·
Registered
855 Posts
Im still dreaming of a Porsche Cayman S sometime in the future, but for now the Gt does it for me just fine, and if i get money to trade in the first few years, ill be getting a MV Agusta F3 to suplement the GT... :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tend to keep my cars for a while. Didn't trade old car in as worth so little. Followed the 86 from concept. First time I bought a new car and I own it. It is sufficiently interesting that I will still have it 10 years hence. If I am bored I will strip it out, cage it and track it, or buy a second hand example to do the same. The reviews do suggest this will be a bit of a classic, even if a gen ii comes out, they could ruin it rather than make it better, enhancing the status of what we now own.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mikael - nice choice!! I inow someone who has just got one of the originals, fully race spec - got 200 ponies!!! Same as our cars!!
Cost him £20k even though it's now 8 years old. Apparently they've solved the F3 fuelling issues now...

Can you imagine giving that bike the beans with so much hp going through 2mm of road contact... jeez. I'm going to get a CBR600 when the weather comes back next year, that'll do me.

Triode - reckon you're right about the future classic. In the ilk of a Mk1 Golf or a MX-5 mk2.5. Not quite up there with an e-type, db5 or healey 3000 etc though!! I like to think the Japanese have taken influence from early british sports cars with the gt86 though, could be seen as a little arrogant, but part of what drew me into it! I have also been following it for some time since Autocar started talking about it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yea Pt, i saw the F3 about 1 year ago, and fell i nlove instantly. Was looking to the Triumph Daytona at the time, for power, driveability vs price, and the F3 is excactly the same price, but with ALL the extras, cassete gearbox, drive by wire throttle, mapable etc etc, and it looks AWESOME... specially the ORO version, but dont really fancy putting down double money for that.. hehe

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.