GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who can go the furthest away from the car when it is running with key on them ...will it stop or not?

I went into house and car still ran...about 20 feet away inside house...?

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Well, just start your engine, or better still let your wife go for a drive whilst you keep your key in your pocket.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
DING.

You could get a measuring tape, start the engine and start walking down the road.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Lauren said:
DING.

You could get a measuring tape, start the engine and start walking down the road.
Unless you get so far away that you can't hear the engine running... or your tape runs out.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Not tried it, but a similar system is included on the Ducati Multistrada. On the 'bike the fuel filler still uses the mechanical key. Journo' admitted he left the key on the fuel pump after filling up and then riding off. 120 miles later after a shandy and showing off the 'bike to his mates at his local, he realised what he'd done and obviously it wouldn't start!
Experiment carefully....

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'm pretty sure my Clio warns me that the key is not in the car while making blipping sounds, but don't think it stops it from driving.....then again, never really tried....I've jump in and out of the car to post things while leaving the car on and the key on me but never got anyone to drive off without the key.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good point but would have thought that if the key is more than a certain distance from car then the car should at least stop....

in south africa cars are always stolen from traffic lights so if someone tried to steal your car and you had to get out fast are we saying that they can still just drive it away even if you have key in you pocket...have to say i am not happy with that one

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Guys, I have had this system on my IQ for the last three years. Once the car has started it will not look for the key fob. Only if you try to start it again will it beep or if you try to lock up with the key inside.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The key doesn't have to be far from the car for the door not to unlock. It happened to me earlier today. Tried to open the door....nothing. Turned around so that the pocket with the key was closer to the car and 'hey presto!' door unlocked. Looking at the car manual, the region of key detection is pretty small.

As to getting car-jacked at the lights in South Africa, click the 'lock' switch once you are in the car and no-one can get in. Another option is to hit the Stop button and run away. The jackers will think they have a free car until they sit in it and realise there's no key.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.