GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like some FRS owners aren't that happy. Do we get a few coats more for the 50% or whatever extra a GT86 costs?

Any signs of swirls? I've told my dealer to basically not touch the paintwork (or put any dealer stickers anywhere) when it lands but who knows if that'll happen (or not happen)!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Never understood all this

What are you going to do when a bird sh*ts on it or when it gets peppered on the average uk road trip?

Not judging, just fascinated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what you're asking really!

My last new car was swirly from the word go - may not have been the dealer but best to remove them from the equation, I doubt they take much care ...

Bird muck - remove it!

Chips - get grumpy. But it's going to be worse the thinner the paint, so just wondering how it looked on those that have theirs. 'Course, not everyone has a paint depth gauge. I don't, by the way

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Going to park mine in front room and play fora on Xbox from front seat so as to not ruin my cars paint...also great fuel economy too... Wwwooo hhhooo

·
Registered
469 Posts
lukester said:
Not sure I can. As wise man once said: You tried, and failed miserably. The lesson is - never try.
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
Homer Simpson

G

·
I have foam lance & PW at the ready.Wash, rinse, dry
Then iron-x
Wash, rinse, dry
Then clay & lube
Wash, rinse, dry

Polish
Wax
Shine

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ed im doing it as mine is going straight to Robbie at Valet Magic to ensure its protected. I dont trust an 18 year old trainee washing my new car.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've rejected the dealers kind offer of Supaguard and going to be trying to get a coat of Permanon on my car as soon as i receive it. Have the clay, buffer and polishes at the ready to prep the surface!

As to why, well I guess it's a case of wanting the car to look as nice as possible most of the time, but practically it can help with resale at some point in the future if the paintwork has been looked after.

In my own personal case, this is the first new car i've ever had so there have always been some sorts of imperfections on my previous cars (scuffed alloys, car park dings, etc) so this is an opportunity for me to try and keep it in A1 condition as much as I can on a daily driver.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Celica66 said:
Going to park mine in front room and play fora on Xbox from front seat so as to not ruin my cars paint...also great fuel economy too... Wwwooo hhhooo

Actually, just to be anal, you will get 0 mpg if you don't ever drive it anywhere

G

·
ICantAffordAnLFA said:
Never understood all this

What are you going to do when a bird sh*ts on it or when it gets peppered on the average uk road trip?

Not judging, just fascinated.
It's an art all of its own. A great time-wasting man-hobby.
Once you've properly detailed your P&J it's so much easier to keep pristine too. Bird sh*t & grime 1. often unable to 'get a grip' as the surface is like glass 2. way easier to clean off because of 1.
Twice a year I do the full-on detail, every two months a wax and weekly wash, dry and detail spray. May vary a little according to conditions.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
A good detailer (maybe even ourselves) taking the time and trouble to work on a car can pay dividends.I got my guy to do my Honda S2000 and got the full price I paid for it ater 7 months ownership!

Then in March he did my wife's Honda Accord Tourer (the wench cost me £200!) but we sold the car for £1800 more than book value!
Might sound impossible, but the first buyer who saw it loved the condition car and 'had to have it'!
He had seen several cheaper cars but nothing compared to ours. (It was a black beauty).

Detailing is a great investment if you look after your motor... Or why not even go further?

...I had my 2008 Seat Leon Cupra protected by Paintshield film (the whole bonnet, front wings, bumper) so no visible lines in the film. It effectively froze the paintwork in time in brand new condition. I got £1900 over list when I sold it after 3 years (albeit just 8000 miles on clock!)

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's the difference between this:

and this:

A friend of mine is a detailer and did this to this TT - the difference is huge!

If people clean a car and dont use the right tools the swirls can quickly appear. A dealer with a buffer can leave buffer trails and really ruin your enjoyment of a car like this.

The ones I looked at in the metal had not been prepped much by the dealer, and the finish wasn't bad - but to be top notch would probably have benefitted from a professional detail to get the paintwork perfect and protected I would say. It's the same with most cars - it's not cost effective for a dealer to spend 2 days making each car perfect when most of their customers wont notice, care or look after them :)

For the picky among us, there's no substitute for taking the extra time however - especially on black cars!

·
Registered
619 Posts
We had this issue when the R35 GTR was released. The thin paint meant a lot of them developed swirl marks very early on. If i can protect mine from this happening then i will.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.