GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Received mine last week, (black with black leather). Very responsive and I have enjoyed driving around the twisty, fairly empty roads of Beach Head, Eastbourne  near my home town. The manual says no more than 4000 rpm for the first 1000, but its still great fun handling even so. It makes a nice change to all the Audi tt's around here. Of course its not as powerful but so much better than my old Celica and more economical. As a former very contented Celica driver this is an ideal replacement. I've found the engine pretty quiet, with just enough growl to make it fun and engaging. The sound pipe for the engine noise into the cockpit isnt particularly deafening as expected. I was expecting an old MR2 mark 1 "engine in the cockpit sound" but its far less ear shattering. Both mph gauges work well. I was warned the dial mph speedo hardly moves which isn't true. I find its accurate in itself, though I rarely refer to it. As a Grand Tourer its surprisingly comfortable and a good place to sit for long journeys. Good suspension on the frankly poor roads of Britain. I'd like to try it out on Welsh or French roads where potholes aren't really as much of an issue.
For me it will be a fun and enjoyable car until the new Supra finally makes it to the showrooms, if indeed it ever does. However, so far I might be loathed to part with this responsive and fun car.
I've got to say it looks better in person than most of the photos of it posted on various sites. A very nice design, gearstick and brake all feel well aligned and the right height. The interior I find alot  better than the Celica, but not the old Mk1 (with all that leather). Love the body design and the bluetooth facility.
One criticism I read was that the satnav was poor and too small to be used practically. Its great. I used to have a TomTom and no complaints about the Toyota satnav at all The settings are clear and simple.
There have been mixed reviews of transmission feel and change. The worst I read was a critical Auto Car review that described it as "notchy". I've found it pretty smooth compared to the more clunky Celica gear box. It perhaps could be fine tuned for my tastes with a higher clutch setting, but its early days yet, a minor quibble, and it still needs to settle in. So far a very happy customer.
UPDATE: Only about 200 miles in now and the gear change is really first class and smooth! Did I say the clutch needed adjusting I was wrong!!!

Edited by: arcanus

·
Registered
223 Posts
Welcome
- you summed that up well and its pretty much the same from my perspective - I also have black with black leather. I also came from a 53 plate Celica and to be honest this is more than enough power for me at the moment. I've just got over the 1000 mark and I have to say this really steps up the satisfactions levels! Out of interest is there really a speaker bringing the engine noise into the cockpit?

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
There's a tuned pipe from the engine to the cabin. Similar to what's in the Ford Focus ST.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Welcome, welcome, welcome.
It's bad enough waiting 10 days for a new GT 86 to arrive for me to drive away, so please don't start talking about that elusive Supra Mk5 which may (or may not) appear any day (month, year) now!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.