GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone actually know what the button for VSC/Sport Mode does when you press it

Seems to sound better as well?

·
Registered
855 Posts
From what i can read, it allows a bit more drift before traction control saves u, sharpen throttle, and mayhaps a bit more sound.. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
VSC Sport has absolutely nothing to do with the sound of the engine or throttle response,it's a VSC setting that sits in between VSC ON & VSC OFF,

IE As follows VSC ON= Very little traction loss before throttle is reduced. VSC SPORT=Rear tyres will loss traction to a degree before throttle is reduced & finally VSC OFF=Bloody hell I'm heading backwards into a hedge or even worse a SOLID object!!!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kodename47 said:
Dave I thought you were actually in trouble mate!

Does it really change the throttle response? I thought it was all to do with the VSC and TCS!
Just curious as been playing

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GT Lover said:
VSC Sport has absolutely nothing to do with the sound of the engine or throttle response,it's a VSC setting that sits in between VSC ON & VSC OFF,

IE As follows VSC ON= Very little traction loss before throttle is reduced. VSC SPORT=Rear tyres will loss traction to a degree before throttle is reduced & finally VSC OFF=Bloody hell I'm heading backwards into a hedge or even worse a SOLID object!!!
Ah ha

That's why I did not need reverse then

He he

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
I noticed in my friends car that VSC off (ie sport mode) hardly allows any slip before it reigns it in. Was hoping it would allow a bit more play. It would seem that the only way to really play is to turn everything off.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thats really a matter of control.. Learn to drift in sports mode, and u can handle it off too, try to learn with it off, and u will meet a tree rearend first.. :p I've been doing some nices slides so far, with sport on, and it does manage rather nicely before it cuts power

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Think I'd just prefer to learn with it off. None of my previous cars have had stability control, I'm not a fan of it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Turn it off then.

On balance you'd be hard pushed to argue it hasn't moved car technology on

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
I would add that I think it's a far better bet to get some tuition on track on or an airfield as I don't think you can learn to drift or slide the rear end around without learning how to balance throttle and steering inputs.

I think that even using hte sport mode, it doesn't allow much slip and though I guess one could learn a little about steering input, the system won't let you modulate the throttle as it does it for you.

I think stability control is more to stop the masses going into hedge backwards, but I guess we should be thankful that in some ways it does allow manufacturers to still produce fun handling cars (once the nannying bad aids are off of course).

·
Registered
93 Posts
I found this demo on YouTube that gives some indication of the differences.

I wanted to try it myself but there were too many kidsplayingin the town centre fountain to do it safely.[TUBE]http://youtu.be/j8qggahGNH0[/TUBE]

Edited by: Sean_C

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Yeah that's the video that's stopped me turning the VSC fully off, that and the Yank on the FT86 forum who trashed his F-RS on a corner he knew well and decided to have a go with it fully off.

When the VSC really counts is when something suddenly happens that you weren't expecting and you have to make sudden large steering movements.

Had it happen in the Celica when someone started to pull out into the lane I was overtaking them in (I was going considerably quicker!) it went into a massive tank slapper, without the VSC I doubt it would have stayed shiny side up and between the barriers.

Turn it off if you want to play drifting, but I'd recommend leaving it on most of the time as you never know when it might save your arse.

Alec

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I love VSC Sport, it's one of the first buttons I press whenever I drive my car. Sometimes when I've forgotten to turn it on I find myself approaching a corner and think sh*t and turn it on quickly. Full traction control is too restricting!

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
A question: does the VSC Sport light come on with the TC off sign ( car skidding symbol) at the same time ?

I was playing this morning and thought I had the VSC Sport light came on its own on , then only the two were on, - I am confused - help! ?
Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
655 Posts
I cannot drive the bloody thing without the button down - mostly because it b uggers up the throttle response and my gearchanging goes all to rats'. AND it's far too nannying anyway, I agree.

I can almost guarantee that the VSC will save a LOT of souls inexperienced with RWD once the weather gets a lot wetter and colder. You can still cross it all up & nothing will save you if you're really daft though, so it's no panacea.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
It's the fully off mode that I'm suggesting is not a good habit to get into doing all the time. I tend to drive with the Sport mode on most of the time.

It's just the idea of how bad things could have been in the Celica on that one time I really needed it, at least if you do turn it fully off it resets when you restart the car.

Alec

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.