1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I love the remark about being similar to the Elise. My Dad used to have an original Elise, oh what a great car!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
en8wall said:
I love the remark about being similar to the Elise. My Dad used to have an original Elise, oh what a great car!
Yeap great drivers car. For me, the GT86 stikes the perfect balance of drving experience vs creature comforts.

I had a friend who wrote off his Lotus Elize after owning it for 13 years because he overcooked it comming off a round about. Thank God for Stability/traction control!

Edited by: GT86Owner

G

·
I'd not consider either of the others as competition with the 86.No idea about the TT and I've not been in a 370Z, but I have a 350Z - completely different car altogether. I'm sure I'll miss it but the whole reason for swapping to the 86 isBECAUSEit's completely different - they can't be compared in any meaningful way.
IMO should be considered alongside BRZ (obv), MX-5, 125M, SLK 200, Elise?, etc.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lordgrover said:
I'd not consider either of the others as competition with the 86.No idea about the TT and I've not been in a 370Z, but I have a 350Z - completely different car altogether. I'm sure I'll miss it but the whole reason for swapping to the 86 isBECAUSEit's completely different - they can't be compared in any meaningful way.
IMO should be considered alongside BRZ (obv), MX-5, 125M, SLK 200, Elise?, etc.
Whilst I agree with the above list of car, is the 370Z not RWD and a similar price(£30k)?

I suppose one could argue that it should be compared to every car in the 20-30k region. But at least narrowing down to RWD sport cars is a start? Perhaps I am missing something: Why is the 350Z completely different?

I could understand is it was an astra VXR.

G

·
The Zed is olde-fashion'd muscle car stylee. Weighs the same as a small moon and uses 300BHP to overcome this handicap. It's a Grand Tourer in the traditional sense - while it's swiftish in a straight line it's just too heavy to be a sports car per se.Point and squirt in the twisties it is not.
Consider - it was conceived and designed in the depths of the Japanese depression and austerity of the late 20th century. At the time, Nissan had no money to refine or even finish it properly. Look at the ridiculous great big and heavy rear strut which takes up 50% of the boot - it's there to stiffen it up on the cheap, but at what cost to practicality and weight?
I love it and will miss it but it's time for a change.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lordgrover said:
The Zed is olde-fashion'd muscle car stylee. Weighs the same as a small moon and uses 300BHP to overcome this handicap. It's a Grand Tourer in the traditional sense - while it's swiftish in a straight line it's just too heavy to be a sports car per se.Point and squirt in the twisties it is not.
Consider - it was conceived and designed in the depths of the Japanese depression and austerity of the late 20th century. At the time, Nissan had no money to refine or even finish it properly. Look at the ridiculous great big and heavy rear strut which takes up 50% of the boot - it's there to stiffen it up on the cheap, but at what cost to practicality and weight?
I love it and will miss it but it's time for a change.
Ok, I take your point. If you were to go one step further than just filtering by RWD and 20-30K region you might pick out the lighter more nimble models for comparision. I though the Zed was supposedly a good handling sports car. I vaguely remember Top Gears review (prob a bad thing I remember Clarkson rattling the vents) and they quite liked it I think. It was few year back and during my uni years, which means alot of my memories from then are a bit murky to sa ythe least!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts