GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you'd all be interested in some information I came across today.

I was in my local Toyota dealership, looking at used IQ's for the Mrs and heard a guy enquiring about the GT86. The dealers response was (and I'm not sure if he was spinning a yarn) "The GT86 is coming out in July, the UK will be getting 640 cars to cover approx 180 Toyota dealers. We've already taken 7 orders from customers who haven't even seen the car so if you're interested you'll need to move quick because once the first batch has gone there will be a big gap before the nextarrive."
When I was out having a test drive of the IQ (and a clever car it is) I asked the salesman (different one) has the dealershiptaken any orders for the GT86 yet? He said "Yes, two, a black one and an orange one. We'll be getting two demo's and then see how they sell" No mention of limited supply.

Anyone else heard anything?

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I was in my local dealer, RMB Toyota Stockton, the salesman said that they were getting 24 cars this year, 1 will be a showroom model and another a demo.

He also said that about 30 people had booked a test drive. At the time I was the first to place an order.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That allocation of 24 seems to blow the salesman's theory i heard, i still believe my salesman was just drumming up custom.

What colour and spec have you opted for? Manual or Auto?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Orange, manual with black sports seats. Didn't go for the sat nav option because it's supposed to be a drivers car and would only mean more driving if i get lost!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Butski, if that was RMB Toyota at Preston Farm, they are lying! I ordered the first one. Put a deposit down in December and registered my interest the day after the FT86 II concept was unvelied.

So I better be getting the first one lol.

They told me they were getting 12 in the first year and had sold 7 including the manager who had put his name down for the demo model. I think there are a few porkies being told here. Lets keep in touch and see about us both getting the best deal? I will be looking to finance about half the cars value, possibly through the dealer if they are competitive enough.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Also, the sat nav (I was told) is installed by the dealer as a sotware mod. The manager told me this. But the salesman didnt have a clue what I was on about and claimed it was an entirely different head unit fitted at the factory. I think they should chuck it in for free if thisit is just a mod;) £750 is A LOT for a sat nav upgrade.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Its a crazy amount for a software mod, but unfortunately people are willing to pay that much for it.. me included......

My Dealer in Bedford said I was the 1st on 2/12/2011 to place an order but now they have two other orders for the Car in the Steven Eagell Group of 6 dealers.....

They said they had alot of interest but most people want to try it first...

He went on to mention its likely that all orders will be fufilled before the dealers get demo cars. Toyota policy apparently....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hmmm interesting. If pre orders arent filled that gives us a bit of bargaining power when it comes to purchasing (trade in values, discount on options, free service etc etc etc). Im going to keep in touch with another local dealer closer to the time. TBH I will be test driving before signing on the dotted line though lol.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I placed an order and put down a deposit at the end of April, but haven't had a ballpark delivery date confirmed yet.
I too heard at one small single garage franchise that they had an allocation of 5 cars and three had already sold. But a large multi-garage franchise told me they had only 3 orders. A liitle fib going on I suspect. So who knows what the actual allocations and current order numbers are.

Yes I agree with a posting that satnav at that price isn't worth it. Mind you one salesman told me not to go for it anyway (even before I formed an opinion), as it was standard Toyota satnav and in his opinion a bit "Mickey Mouse", advising me to get a Garmin or the like.

·
Registered
278 Posts
jonnykool said:
Also, the sat nav (I was told) is installed by the dealer as a sotware mod. The manager told me this. But the salesman didnt have a clue what I was on about and claimed it was an entirely different head unit fitted at the factory. I think they should chuck it in for free if thisit is just a mod;) £750 is A LOT for a sat nav upgrade.
I was told that all cars come into the UK as the same spec and are modified with extras etc AFTER port of entry.

·
Registered
278 Posts
For info, just received from Toyota:-

<?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape></v:></v:shape>

Mr xxxx Our ref xxxx

14 May 2012

Dear Mr xxxx

Thank you for your email { } and for taking the time to contact us.

Having spoken to our Vehicle Supply Department, I can confirm that delivery dates for the new Toyota GT86 orders are unlikely to be available until July 2012.

Please accept my sincere apologies that I am unable to provide you with the information you have requested.

In closing, I would like to thank you once again for taking the trouble to contact us. I hope you enjoy your new Toyota GT86 and I am sure the Toyota Centre will keep you updated and informed once further details are known.

Yours sincerely

Oliver Tiley
Customer Relations Executive

·
Registered
480 Posts
I always think that it would be better for a resale - I could be wrong it all depends on the
individual I guess. The 2 that I have sold have both had nav. We've been allocated 14 and sold 3 just to give you an idea - different centres different allocations I guess.

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the inside info Steve. I agree that satnav could help with resale, but im not paying £750 for something thats already on my phoneor I could get a good TOM TOM etc for just over £100. The cost just doesnt stack up. If they offered it at say 50% off, then yeah id take a punt.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Oh by the way the above letter regarding delivery dateswas receivedfrom Toyota direct, and NOT from a dealer.

Doesn't sound good for "early" delivery dates...

Edited by: Speedymurr

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I had an email from my Toyota dealer yesterday. They still no absolutely nothing!

I emailed mentioning that if I was to get it in early july, then it should have been built now since it takes 6 weeks to ship over. If what I have heard about them adding the options at the Port is true, then it is likely they just ship over a bunch of cars and when they arrive, they will fit them out and send to the dealers. So this could mean we might not know until a few weeks before! :(

Im going to silverstone this year, it would be cool to drive to the F1 in my new GT 86!

Edited by: GT86Owner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts