GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody :)

We have plans to produce in the next few months a GT86 specific 17" wheel that will be 7.5kg. A full 2kg less than standard!

How does this sound? Like a cunning plan?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are in line with our other wheels, there wont be a premium for his wheel over any others :)

It will be £549 inc. VAT for the set of 4 with the forum discount :)

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Is this proposed wheel currently in use on any track cars?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Rarerims said:
It will be £549 inc. VAT for the set of 4 with the forum discount :)

That's very cheap for a set of 4 rims. I'm assuming they are cast, if so how are they cast and how does the quality of alloy compare with the OEM rims? Do you do any strength testing?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All wheels are fully JWL and VIA tested with the testing data available :)

I am not 100% sure which wheel they have in mind, or if it will be a whole new one - I will try and grab some more information today.

As with the OE wheel it is cast. The vast majority of wheels are cast and it is not something to be concerned with. I could bore you all with hundreds of pictures of the wheels in action on all sorts of track cars, but I am sure you dont want to see that. Needless to say we have total confidence in them, have sold thousands and never had a single fairlure from manufacturer or material defects.

We have been told of failures from 'small offs' before, when we have later found a picture of the 'small off' being an impreza wrapped round a lampost with the wheel and whole suspension pushed back into the bulkhead...

Currently Rota wheels are the control wheel for the Ma5da Racing championship where 100+ MX5s decend on a track each weekend and go literally wheel to wheel - they stand up well to the abuse they through at them, as well as the abuse virtually every top flight drifter in the UK can offer up, and those guys also are not known for mechanical sympathy!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
sounds good to me ...will they be in several colours?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They will likely be available in most of our colours - you can count on:

Gunmetal
Bronze
Flat Black
White
Steelgrey

I would say those are a certainty - we are open to suggestion however.

Also keep in mind we already stock loads of wheels that fit the cars and are lighter than the standard ones! These are just some new ones we have in the pipeline :)

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
i will be after black gloss with orange on wheel somewhere...any suggestions for what type of wheel to look for?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gloss black and orange? That might be a little bit of a challenge, but is certainly something we could add to the list! I would think most likely the plan would be to get a gloss black wheel and use the rim tape available to get the orange around the lip.

There's a few options available such as the force and GRA that are multi-spoke, or the Grid that is 6 large spokes, that we currently have available in the correct fitments similar to OEM, so not filling the arches any more or anything like that, would be the ones to look at :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ben my old Rota Grids are pretty battered now. Have Rota started to sell the paint yet for Matt Bronze?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's still no paint here at present :(

We have had some success with bodyshops matching wheel colours, some have gadgets to measure paint colour these days.

I think I will find one of these places and take a load of wheels to be measured like this and put up a reference list to save waiting further - I'll pop a new thread up once I have got this done!

·
Registered
619 Posts
thanks my R32 GTR looks ugly with scraped rims

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Rarerims said:
Gloss black and orange? That might be a little bit of a challenge, but is certainly something we could add to the list! I would think most likely the plan would be to get a gloss black wheel and use the rim tape available to get the orange around the lip.

There's a few options available such as the force and GRA that are multi-spoke, or the Grid that is 6 large spokes, that we currently have available in the correct fitments similar to OEM, so not filling the arches any more or anything like that, would be the ones to look at :)

cheers for that much appreciated

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The black rims with the red on the lip looks good (keys in nicely with the red stitching etc in the cabin imo). I'd like to see those with an orange lip to compare, though I suspect they'll get lost amongst the overwhelming orangeness of the body.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Haha i just feelembarrassedwhen anyone sees it.

Its a shame Rotadon'tdo more for the BMWotherwiseiwouldn'thave to run Dare rims on the BMW Turbo.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts