Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOT OFF THE PRESS - SPACE SAVER
I attended the GT86 launch at my local garage tonight. Myself and another guy looking at the car figured that if the tyres on GT86 are the same as a Prius then surely the space saver of a Prius should fit. So, we took the space saver out of a Prius and took the polyestirine storage out of the GT86 and BINGO it fitted in perfectly (and screwed down with same nut) to GT86 and carpet sat nice and flush.

So, if you want a spare, buy a Prius spare. Dealer couldn't quote a price but thought approx £150-£200.

I assume stud pattern is the same on all Toyotas?

Edited by: en8wall

·
Registered
480 Posts
Why didn't you say i would have told you that a few weeks ago - I cant remember the price of the spare wheel but I can get this for you. I'm off until Friday if you can hang on

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SteveP said:
Why didn't you say i would have told you that a few weeks ago - I cant remember the price of the spare wheel but I can get this for you. I'm off until Friday if you can hang on
That would be great if you could price me the wheel, tyre and screw thingy that holds it down in boot. At the lauch event tonight the dealer was passing people to me to let them know how it drove as I knew more than them and could give a balanced view.

·
Administrator
5,772 Posts
SteveP said:

Would you be able to do a group buy or something to get prices down..... or just do some club discount?

I'd definitely be interested in a space saver and I'm sure there'd be a fair few more thst would be!

·
Registered
278 Posts
more and more manufactures are not providing a spare these days. Customers need to get used to having no spare wheel, the very real practical alternatives and remembering that a puncture doesn't happen every few weeks not making a spare a daily relied upon equipment item.

Think it through. £200 for a spare gets you maybe 3 years full AA cover. And having AA cover gives you recovery for ANY type of breakdown, in ANY vehicle.

It's a bit like satnav. Pay £750 for a built in system that can't be moved from vehicle to vehicle and is not as good as a £200 Garmin or TomTom. And you see the purchaser cost simply disappear when the car is eventually resold.Edited by: Speedymurr

·
Registered
480 Posts
I can have a word for you? I guess it would depend on how many we're sold?? Like I said I'm off till Friday but I'll ask and see what I can do!?

Out of interest how many people are we looking at that would one??

Cheers
Steve

G

·
Speedymurr said:
more and more manufactures are not providing a spare these days. Customers need to get used to having no spare wheel, the very real practical alternatives and remembering that a puncture doesn't happen every few weeks not making a spare a daily relied upon equipment item.

Think it through. £200 for a spare gets you maybe 3 years full AA cover. And having AA cover gives you recovery for ANY type of breakdown, in ANY vehicle.
Yep. It may sound a little pedantic, but the cost of fuel to carry about a spare wheel and tyre may be tens of pounds a year for most. It may not be a fortune but it all counts.
I've removed any spare from my cars for many years, just carry a can of goop, unless on a long journey.

·
Registered
739 Posts
en8wall said:
I assume stud pattern is the same on all Toyotas?
NO

the GT86 is the only 5x100 Toyota

·
Registered
135 Posts
But does the prius space saver fit onto the GT86? Is the stud pattern the same? Does it clear the brake calipers?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Matt said:
But does the prius space saver fit onto the GT86? Is the stud pattern the same? Does it clear the brake calipers?

No, it's been tried. You need something off an early 2000s Legacy or Forester

·
Registered
119 Posts
Or get a 16" steel rim as fitted to the GT86 in other markets (I think the Toyota part number SU003 - 00758, available from CTP in the Traders section), pop on a budget 55 profile tyre (to get the rolling radius up to that of the standard alloy/primacy combination) and for about £130 you have a brand new full size spare. Downside: it takes up a fair bit of the boot space.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The space saver from a 2007 3.0L Subaru Legacy fits hub and boot perfectly.
Edited by: Qu1ckn1ck

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote from my dealer:"I have had a price back from our Parts team for the Wheel.
For a Space Saver Wheel/Tyre and all tools its £315.00"

Errrrr, think I'll leave that!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is an obsolete thread, there's a more complete one which I'll find and bump.
Mods...can you close this thread as obsolete. ThanksEdited by: en8wall

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
ApexAssassin85 said:
why have a space saver anyway Toyota have left it out on purpose to make the car lighter that's why some of the body is light weight aluminium.
To make the production cost of the car lighter. They could always have included the wheel and the client can decide to take it out.

Maybe I should try one of those tyre plug repair kits. I've repaired enough tyres on my bicycle, how much harder could it be :)
http://www.shopciscos.com/products/TUBELESS-TIRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-KIT.html

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thats what I will use, I carry them on my motorbike with a very small compact foot pump. Easy to use and works well. Got me and others out of trouble on a few occasions so will be putting a kit in my GT86 when it eventually arrives

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Itch45 said:
Thats what I will use, I carry them on my motorbike with a very small compact foot pump. Easy to use and works well. Got me and others out of trouble on a few occasions so will be putting a kit in my GT86 when it eventually arrives

Won't be much use in the event of a blow out

·
Registered
244 Posts
For long journeys I have a full size wheel as a spare and short hops a space saver.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
en8wall said:
This is an obsolete thread, there's a more complete one which I'll find and bump.
Mods...can you close this thread as obsolete. Thanks
Thread locked at request of origininator.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.