GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to the site, currently looking to change my car in the near future. The gt86 is one of cars on my list, was speaking to Ian litchfield this morning who confirmed supercharger, and said should be up and running middle of next month. This has getting my even more tempted but how would it compare to the likes of an exige s do you recon

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
It won't be as quick or as agile as an Exige S. But it's a much better prospect as a daily, obviously.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Welcome!

I've never driven the exige S but have drvien a few Elise's. I dont think the GT86 is quite as raw as the lotus's but it compared favourably in terms of driving experience. I dont know how the supercharger will upset the balance though, might be a bit tail happy
The GT86 is definitly very well kitted out and is OK to use on long journeys and have lovely comfy seats (if you get hte leather upgrade)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have owned Elise variants and unless you have test driven over roads you intend on using - preferably with bumps, with someone in the passenger seat, you will never appreciate how compromising they are.

Mine was lovely, the sound of stones hitting the undertray was wonderful, hearing the gear change with its snack as it hits home, the steering was just so, the responses exactly as they should be for a sports car etc. But, and it's a BIG BUT, if you are driving it as an everyday car you'll soon tire of the clattery noises and rattles from the less than perfect trim adding to the general NVH and useless air con (keeping you hot). And they are not easy to keep looking clean inside in my experience, listening to the stereo is a no no etc...

I went for the GT86 as it is a compromise. Not quite as good to steer, not as quick, but infinitely more usable as a daily car and with the handy child seats in the back not to mention a decent boot.

If you only intend for your next car to be a weekend toy, and don't have kids to consider, go for the Exige S every time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep I agree with that haha, got to say I like toyotas last Toyota I had was corolla compressor a few years back. I then seen that Toyota had stopped making anything sporty so when it was time for a change I got a ford focus st spent couple thousand on it and seen dramatic changes in power. Since then though now have BMW 1 series 120d m sport coupe and got to say lovely car in everyway except no fun factor, with girlfriend getting a car now no longer need to do all miles hence looking to change to something sportier again.

Ian litchfield said there car is available for text drive in mid October so might try get drive of normal one and that see how they compare

·
Registered
655 Posts
You'd really have to compare the 86 to the Evora 2+2.

The 86 is a lot cheaper and it has a better boot.

I think it's more fun to drive, too. The Evora is much faster, etc, but the engine lacks character.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
As I have mentioned on my Car thread. I think the GT86 is the perfect compromise between driving and comfort. Its nice to be able to go out for the day with the wife in a nice, comfortable, air conditioned, reasonably quite cabin while still being able to have fun and not make it too uncomfortable for the passenger...

·
Registered
566 Posts
These my thoughts exactly. This is a practical 2+2 for commuting and distance driving. Fuel economy is sensible. PLUS the character and fun factor everyone is going on about (can't confirm this as not picking mine up until the weekend). Some say it is "affordable" too, but I'm still not sure best part of 30k is that affordable....

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Mine is mostly a trackday car that needs to be able to do the odd bit of road duty.

Hoping to have Litchfield's supercharger on for Spa in November, or ideally Silverstone a week or two earlier.

Have to say, 300 bhp, weight flat, should be a pretty quick car.

Exige S challenger; I'd say so

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
ob1kxb said:
gt_sjo said:
and you won't stick to them in the hot weather!
main reason why i went with cloth. scorching hot when left in the sun, freezing cold in winter. no thank you. some nice cloth will be fine then

They only have leather bolsters!! the middle bit is alcantara!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.