GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

What brand & grade of Petrol do you use in your GT86?

• BP Ultimate 97

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Esso Super unleaded

• Cheapest available Supermarket petrol

1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are we putting in the tank ?

And why?

Should be interesting...

Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
485 Posts
Tesco 99 - due to price and recommendations from other car "nuts". My Subaru always ran well on it and when I was a member of the classic car club in london they also recommended it for their cars. 750 miles on the GT86 with it so far.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Generally using Morrisons or Sainsburys regular, although there has been the occasional splash of super unleaded go in.
This is my daily driver, hence why 2000 miles in less than a month, so it gets whatever is convenient.

The Supra only ever gets VPower ashigher octane fuels are more important in turbo charged applications.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cleloid said:
We need an option for premium(97 Ron)-whatever is available

Done.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Butski84 said:
I've just been putting supermarket pump fuel in it, mainly because I forgot we were supposed to put higher octane fuel in it.

1500 miles so far and no issues (touch wood!)

I will pray for your eternal soul...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Bog standard Esso Unleaded (95Rons???) is the cheapest in my area week to week so that's what goes in. It complies with the Toyota owners manual and makes the car go.

What more is there to it? As points about better lubrication, higher octane vs performance are irrelevant as I'm not using the car for racing.

·
Registered
887 Posts
since I'm running in and hence can't use full power anyway I've been using the local Asda and regular 95...Also, the engine is new so, no deposit build-up to remove and I hope to move onto higher quality fuel once it is run-in and I'm into enjoying driving even more at 7,000 rpm...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Tesco Momentum for me, mainly for the extra Tesco Club Points on my Tesco Credit Card and they're in a pretty good location for me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
did anyone see the fifth gear fuel test a couple of weeks ago? they tested numerous hi octane fuels against normal supermarket fuels, conclusion was nothing really from a power gain point, but these fuels aren't only about power they claim to have engine cleaning properties as well??? only time will tell on that point. But with the cost of fuel nowadays is it really worth putting the premium stuff?

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fuel cap states 98 RON minimum !

Hope you don't have to explain this to Toyota you bad boys!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My dealership today advised me to use super unleaded and not to remove the green gunk on the engine

I've been using various supermarket supers so far and now it's run in will ensure I stick with the stuff

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
AFAIK all cars sold in the UK have to be perfectly OK running on 95 RON, albeit at a slightly reduced power output.
Edited by: gt_sjo

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Subaru clearly intended the engine to run on the higher octane..

You pays your money, but if you can afford to drive a GT86, you can afford super unleaded.

Why would you want less power form a car with modest 200 Bhp, just to save a couple of quid?

Get a Yaris !
Edited by: Senna

1 - 20 of 305 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.