GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would post something regarding batteries and in particular a replacement battery for the GT86. First port of call would be a replacement from the dealer if the vehicle is under warranty, however if you choose to look outside the dealer network then you could get a Yuasa.

Some of this is information is readily available online, some of it you may already know, but putting it in one place may be helpful.

Online you have many options for purchasing a battery, however some outlets only list the battery for the LHD cars and this puts the terminals on the wrong side so make sure you check the part numbers.

Yuasa have 4 main categories of automotive batteries but only 2 are available for the GT86, the 3000 and 7000 series. One is considerable better than the other but both are better than the standard 45ah that some cars have.

3000 series
Part number YBX3014 4 year warranty
Dimensions (mm)L - 232, W - 175, H - 225
15.5 kg
Capacity at 20-hour Rate (Ah): 60
500 Cold Cranking Performance
Wet flooded battery up to 30,000 starts.
Maintenance free

YBX3014 PDF

7000 series EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery)
Part number YBX7014 4 year warranty
Dimensions (mm)L - 232, W - 173, H - 225
17.3 kg
Capacity at 20-hour Rate (Ah): 65
Cold Cranking Performance 620
Enhanced Flooded Battery up to 270,000 starts
Maintenance free
Lithium carbon additive for improved charge acceptance and performance
40% lower discharge than normal wet flooded
Produced with car manufacturers for stop start cars and low state charging

YBX7014 PDF

Key Points:
Batteries don’t like it too hot or cold, and many new cars come with battery covers to try to limit or isolate the battery to help longevity. Excessive heat is also a big killer of batteries so even before you get to winter the damage may be done. For the winter bare in mind that at 0c a battery loses 30% of its cranking ability. And finally if your battery gets down to 11v, even if you charge it, and think its fine, its gone past the point of no return.

Any other information please share

DATA for light weight option suggested by Jim theo

5000 series TERMINALS ARE ON THE WRONG WAY UNLESS YOU REVERSE MOUNT
Part number YBX5056 5 year warranty
Dimensions (mm)L - 187, W - 137, H - 225
9.4 kg
Capacity at 20-hour Rate (Ah): 40
360 Cold Cranking Performance
Wet flooded battery up to 50,000 starts. (on correct applications but as not recommended for GT86 not sure)
Maintenance free

YBX5056

*Btw I don't work for Yuasa :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Excellent information! Nice one :cool: I thought it would be worth pointing out another key point (for completeness) that a physically dirty battery leaks current (called "surface drain" -- 1:34 onward on the below video for demonstration). So ensure your battery is kept clean. Important if the car is left sitting for a while too.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhnVZ7ZPunw"]Battery Care[/ame]

·
Registered
943 Posts
I thought I would post something regarding batteries and in particular a replacement battery for the GT86. First port of call would be a replacement from the dealer if the vehicle is under warranty, however if you choose to look outside the dealer network then you could get a Yuasa.

Some of this is information is readily available online, some of it you may already know, but putting it in one place may be helpful.

Online you have many options for purchasing a battery, however some outlets only list the battery for the LHD cars and this puts the terminals on the wrong side so make sure you check the part numbers.

Yuasa have 4 main categories of automotive batteries but only 2 are available for the GT86, the 3000 and 7000 series. One is considerable better than the other but both are better than the standard 45ah that some cars have.

3000 series
Part number YBX3014
Capacity at 20-hour Rate (Ah): 60
500 Cold Cranking Performance
Wet flooded battery up to 30,000 starts.
Maintenance free

7000 series EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery)
Part number YBX7014
Capacity at 20-hour Rate (Ah): 65
Cold Cranking Performance 620
Enhanced Flooded Battery up to 270,000 starts
Maintenance free
Lithium carbon additive for improved charge acceptance and performance
40% lower discharge than normal wet flooded
Produced with car manufacturers for stop start cars and low state charging

Key Points:
Batteries don’t like it too hot or cold, and many new cars come with battery covers to try to limit or isolate the battery to help longevity. Excessive heat is also a big killer of batteries so even before you get to winter the damage may be done. For the winter bare in mind that at 0c a battery loses 30% of its cranking ability. And finally if your battery gets down to 11v, even if you charge it, and think its fine, its gone past the point of no return.

Any other information please share

*Btw I don't work for Yuasa :)
Great initiative and if possible could you also add dimensions and weight please.
[MENTION=624]Deacon[/MENTION] had posted about his recent battery upgrade and I used his image. Might be worth adding its specs too, for choice. Screenshot_20200114-210711.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weights, dimensions and warranty added

EFB and AGM
New EFB batteries are similar to AGM but obviously without the Glass Mat inside, and both for the newer generation of cars with stop start but can be used on our cars for greater longevity. AGM would be used for cars with regenerative braking systems in their original application. AGM has been used in motorbike and industrial applications for a long time so not sure why its taken so long to get to cars, but they are **** heavy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
On Monday, I replaced my May 2017 Toyota 65aH Battery with a new Yuasa 60aH 3000 battery, old battery had never been right since full service just before Christmas and out of warranty :-(

Can't remember if this is third or fourth battery I've had in 5 years, others were under warranty but had to pay for latest, also half the price of what the dealership were quoting.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I replaced mine with https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e24/
Terminals

BrandVarta
Product CodeE24DIN570 413 063
RangeVarta Blue
Voltage12 Volts
TechnologyWet
Capacity (C20)70 Ah
CCA (EN)630 A
Length260 mm
Width173 mm
Height inc. terms225 mm
Other References570413063
Guarantee4 Years
Barcode (EAN)4016987119709

·
Registered
21 Posts
I changed mine with a Yuasa YBX5056, 40Ah-340CCA and works fine, minus 4Kgs total weight (from 13,9 to 9,2Kgs). Of course our ambient temps play a role but even in Japan Subaru uses in special models 30Ah-290CCa battery with only difference from our cars been the heated seats!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I changed mine with a Yuasa YBX5056, 40Ah-340CCA and works fine, minus 4Kgs total weight (from 13,9 to 9,2Kgs). Of course our ambient temps play a role but even in Japan Subaru uses in special models 30Ah-290CCa battery with only difference from our cars been the heated seats!
This is the thing! If you are into higher CCA and want to have a long lasting battery life, then you will add weight. The initial cars did come with a 45Ah battery which was a lot lighter (circa 3KG, presumably based on your specs). The upgrade was a 75Ah battery. So both work, just that the latter should last longer and hold charge for when you are not able to start with one press of a button and need more juice to try a second, third time.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
This is the thing! If you are into higher CCA and want to have a long lasting battery life, then you will add weight. The initial cars did come with a 45Ah battery which was a lot lighter (circa 3KG, presumably based on your specs). The upgrade was a 75Ah battery. So both work, just that the latter should last longer and hold charge for when you are not able to start with one press of a button and need more juice to try a second, third time.
The upgrade from the dealers was 65ah (what I've just replaced)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
This is what Toyota upgraded me with:

As it's made in the Czech Republic it's likely to be a re-badged Varta.

·
Registered
943 Posts
This is what Toyota upgraded me with:

As it's made in the Czech Republic it's likely to be a re-badged Varta.
Interesting. I checked mine and it's a Panasonic 65 Ah. So i stand corrected, not 75 Ah. Toyota do seem to not use the same supplier as Subaru on this one then. Generally they just put their stickers on a Subaru part number.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you drive it once per 7-10 days there is no problem with this battery I bought and worth the 6Kg weight difference high in the engine bay...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts