GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

GT86 and the coming winter

7K views 89 replies 26 participants last post by  MikaelSE 
#1 ·
Question for all you lucky GT86 owners, will you be driving your car this winter ? lets all pray we don't have a bad winter (no snow)

#8 ·
Of course ill be driving it in winter, counting on tons of snow, and loads of fun... no weight on the rear wheels? It has more weight on the back than my old MX5 did, and that was stable as
when needed in snow. Just do yourself the favour of ditching any idea of all season tires, and go for some decent snow tires. Makes a ton of difference

#10 ·
MikaelSE said:
Of course ill be driving it in winter, counting on tons of snow, and loads of fun... no weight on the rear wheels? It has more weight on the back than my old MX5 did, and that was stable as
when needed in snow. Just do yourself the favour of ditching any idea of all season tires, and go for some decent snow tires. Makes a ton of difference

3-4 months of < 10c cold weather Vs. 2 weeks of snow.. It's not logical to me to get snow tyres.

#11 ·
Well, cold weather performance is also WAY better on real winter tires. Basicly, as soon as the temp is below 4-5c in the time u use the car, winter tires have more grip, and gets worn down less.

So having 2 sets of wheels, only makes sense with summer tires on one, and winter on the other. All season on the second set would be a waste of money in my opinion.. :)

That said, summer driving on winter tires can be fun too, hehe, just wears them out way fast... lol

#12 ·
Mikael, unlike Sweden (I was there a few weeks ago) we are having Winter in Britain, almost 12 months a year!

#13 ·
Lol true, u do have a bit more rain... hehe. My point is tho, that it doesnt have to be snow and ice on the roads for u to save money, and be safer, on winter tires... :) Normal summer tires gets harder in the compound when temp drops under 4-5 degrees celsius. Hence, u get safer driving, and less wear on the tires on winter tires. Ofc, in the end it comes to how much you are willing to spend, and how safe u wanna go. You could easily go a full winter on summer tires, and have nothing happen. Personally i just prefer not to be invlved in that accident, if i can avoid it for such a small amount of money.

Besides, in sweden, its compulsory to have winter tires on between december 1 and march 1. So, not much choice, hehe. (Just wish those old farts would learn that studded tires are useless in south sweden.)

#15 ·
gt_sjo said:
MikaelSE said:

3-4 months of < 10c cold weather Vs. 2 weeks of snow.. It's not logical to me to get snow tyres.

You're slightly missing the point - they're mud & snow tyres and the softer compound and more sipes means winter tyres are far better in the cold, wet and greasy conditions too. Which is about four months, usually.

Listen to the Scando - they know all about this sort of stuff and make the greatest rally drivers.

Plan is to equip UZU with a set of Winter Sports - they were fantastic on the Civic VTi.

#16 ·
Nick Graves said:
gt_sjo said:
MikaelSE said:

You're slightly missing the point - they're mud & snow tyres and the softer compound and more sipes means winter tyres are far better in the cold, wet and greasy conditions too. Which is about four months, usually.

Listen to the Scando - they know all about this sort of stuff and make the greatest rally drivers.

Plan is to equip UZU with a set of Winter Sports - they were fantastic on the Civic VTi.

So you're stating that winter tyres will out-perform all-season tyres in winter, but non-snow conditions?

#18 ·
MikaelSE said:
Senna said:
Mikael, unlike Sweden (I was there a few weeks ago) we are having Winter in Britain, almost 12 months a year!
Where in sweden mate?

I was in Stockholm.
In April I was in Malmo, & Helsingbourg.

#19 ·
gt_sjo said:
Nick Graves said:
gt_sjo said:
MikaelSE said:

So you're stating that winter tyres will out-perform all-season tyres in winter, but non-snow conditions?
Excactly Mate. All season is like a bad compromise. And if plan on having 2 sets anyway, why have good summer tires, andsomehting-in-between for winter use? Price difference wont be that big anyway.

#21 ·
MikaelSE said:
Excactly Mate. All season is like a bad compromise. And if plan on having 2 sets anyway, why have good summer tires, andsomehting-in-between for winter use? Price difference wont be that big anyway.

Decent winter tyres are 50% more expensive than decide all-seasons, hence the query :)

I dont want to pay 50% more for a benefit 5% of the time.

#22 ·
I have been in the car accesory/tire business for 15 years, and never seen anyone regret my advise to switch their crappy all seasons for real wintertires. But yea, they do cost alittle more, but in my opinion, you just put down alot of money for a car, the small extra for decent tires for winter use, is a tiny fraction... And im pretty sure, when it gets time for new summer tires, you will go for named brand tires, that win tests... so why skimp on the winter ones? :p And trust me, with wear and tear, in the end the price difference WILL be minor, as all season is only good in the beginning and end of winter, and will be crap in mid winter, and wear more than real winter tires, so in the end, you save close to nothing.

Problem ofc is that you need to do the payment now, for 2-3-4 years use. Thats what makes most people buy a single set of allseason for most cars. Cheaper here and now, but worse traction all year long.. :)

#23 ·
The Michelin Primacy tyres standard on the GT86 are not up to winter driving even without the snow.

Also pretty useless in wet weather IMO.

Change them to a softer compound! More grip, better direction changes...and you can still powerslide if you really want to. (TC off!)

"Do What Must be Done, Lord Vader"...

Edited by: Senna

G
#26 ·
Senna said:
The Michelin Primacy tyres standard on the GT86 are not up to winter driving even without the snow.

Also pretty useless in wet weather IMO.

Change them to a softer compound! More grip, better direction changes...and you can still powerslide if you really want to. (TC off!)

"Do What Must be Done, Lord Vader"...

Contisport Contacts on my E46 330 Coupe were lethal in ice & snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.