GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I own a smart roadster coupe with approx 100 bhp, have had it since new for 9 years and am looking for something to replace it with, with at least the same "fun factor".
I really love the smart but I want a car that I can rely on and I think it is getting too old now and too many kilometers (> 100 000 km).

I've been considering a GT86 for a few months now, have been to the dealer to testdrive it twice (once with the missus) and love its appearance, the interior and the feel of it.
TBH it doesn't take a lot for a smart roadster owner to get impressed by quality sincethe smartis crap in terms of "quality feel".

The drive itself was enjoyable, if not overly impressed by its performance but thats not what the car is about I guess. One of my concerns is the fuel consumption, what will you get from it driving "normally". The smart gives me down to 4,5 liters/100 km and normally 5,5 l/100 km (eq6,3 mpg & 5,1 mpg ifmy calculations are correct). I do understand that the GT86 is a bit thirstier but what is your normal consumption?

Since I am used to the smart, every other car use to feel really big, so does the GT86, but it has the same nice low driver position and both the steering wheel and gear box feels great.

I will use it all round the year and here in Sweden we tend to get some snow during the winter, any thoughts on that? The smart is excellent in the snow as long as you don't turn the ESP off, then it goes ballistic on you (yes it is also a RWD but has the motor in the back and almost no weight on the front wheels)

I am not quit "there" yet in my decision process and would appreciate any help in getting to a final decision.

Edited by: JanneB

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
... and while I'm at it:
is the back seat at all useable? I tried it with the missus when the car was in the showroom and it seemed as if you push the passenger seat a lot forward you can sit in the back if you are a normal height adult.

It's not as if I am planning for long trips with four persons in the car but we are 3-4 persons at work that use to go to an indian lunch restaurant in somebodys car, a 5 km trip so it's OK if it isn't very comfy as long as it is doable.

As of today the others drive all of the time since I can never fit more than one passenger in my car (which is very economically but doesn't make you very popular in the workplace
)

What is your experience (of having more than one passenger in the GT86 I mean, not going to indian restaurants for lunch)?

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Fuel consumption will depend on your typical use case. I'm averaging around 30mpg with a mixture of 30/40/70 mph roads doing around 40 miles per day. At 70mph with the cruise control on you can get high 30's.

Fitting people in the back depends on the size of all participants. I'm a fat 6'1" so my drivers seat is all the way back. Noone with legs is sitting behind me. I've heard reports on this website of some 5 foot somethings being able to get people in the back, particularly on the passenger side.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hej Janne.

I just passed 2000km in mine, so starting to be run in, and so afr average about 7.5L/100km mixed driving. I do drive with enthusiasm tho.. :)

Should be able to get it down to 7/100km or so, but never as frugal as the smart, but ill promise u will forgive it, for the creature comforts over the SMART, such as less noise, trims, stereo, heater..:p (kidding) hehe

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I can live with 0.75 l/10 km, I don't do that many kilometers per year that it will be a big issue.
I guess noone has any experience of the GT in the winter yet...

Another thought: the tires fitted on the GT are supposed to offer less grip to enable more oversteer (as I understand it). Does this reduced grip mean longer braking distance?

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Hi Janne
I had the same dilemma as you, as I had a Smart Brabus Roadster, but being a disgraceful English CAD (a fellow of low-ethics) I managed to persuade my wife to 'buy it off me' so we now have both!

I must say that I do like both cars, but the GT feels a lot more of a mans car if for no other reason than he gearbox (I have a manual) but even the auto GT would be better in this area.

...This is what we call 'having your cake and eating it'!

Welcome to the forum!
Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I forgot to add...

I changed the Std tyres for the much gripper Continental Contisport Contact 5.

I think they would suit you too (apart from snow, off course!)

GT86 brakes way superior to the Smart even with the crappy Michelins on...Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
malcolmgt86 said:
Does it have the same semi automatic box as the little Smart?
Yes, - damn it!

(It's quite a slow, jerky change will only rev to 6k revs).Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Senna, great to hear from a soul mate. Actually, the same thought has entered my mind since my missis drives a smart fortwo, it would be better to sell her fortwo and keep the roadster.
She actually sits besides me now and laughed when she saw your cars since this is exactly what we've been talking about. However I would prefer a black one with silver stripes, just like my Smart Roadster. And I would definitivly go for the manual gear box! Your red GT looks great!

Are you active on TheRoadster.net?
Your Brabus roadster also looks great btw, you must be a lucky guy!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hej, Janne.<div id="LCS_336D0C35_8A85_403a_B9D2_65C292C39087_communicationDiv">

I once drove my X-1/9 into a gate due to snow-induced terminal understeer! I'd recommend winter tyres...even Volvos were RWD once.

Like my Prelude (which is much roomier than a GT86!) it's only really a three-seater due to rear legroom; you can squash the front passenger up, but not really the driver.

But it's far roomier that either of your Smarts back there!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Nick. Actually, I once had three passengers in a Smart fortwo, none of which were sober but thats an entirely different story ;)
I asked the dealer and I think they will let me have a set of winter tyres included in the price!Edited by: JanneB

·
Registered
855 Posts
Janne, i got a set of winter alloys with brand name winter tires for 6000sek, and a 10k discount on the car. Should be able to make a deal with the sales guy.. :p

If youre in the south, and want experiences give me a holler, and ill help out from my own experiences with the car as i can... im in malmø :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Mikael, nice to hear from a swedish GT86-owner! How long have you had yours? For how long did you have to wait for it after ordering it?

<SorryForTheSwedish>
Själv bor jag i Göteborg, är tyvärr sällansöderut (även om sambon och ibland jag är och hälsar på hennes morsa i Svalöv). Vet du om det finns nån svensk GT86-community?
</SorryForTheSwedish>

·
Registered
855 Posts
Had it for about 1½ month now. Was supposed to wait almost 3 months, but the dealer called me after 2 weeks, and asked if i wanted it sooner.. :p So picked it up 10 days later.

Regarding the winter, i have absolutely no fear of that, on winter tires, after my fast run tonite on the small back roads of my childhood, spooky how well it stays on the path, even in sport mode, it kicks out alil in 60-70mph fast corners, and hard braking from 120-40mph on entering town zones is no trouble at all, way better brakes than on my Mx5.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just read that Subaru will release a turbo version of the engine producing 280 bhp within a year, sounds real interesting.
Hope it will be fitted in the GT86 aswell.
Wonder what the price tag will be. I will definitivly wait for some more substantial info about this before I order any GT86.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You might have to wait a while, and I suspect it will never happen

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
JanneB said:
Just read that Subaru will release a turbo version of the engine producing 280 bhp within a year, sounds real interesting.
Hope it will be fitted in the GT86 aswell.
Wonder what the price tag will be. I will definitivly wait for some more substantial info about this before I order any GT86.
Still only speculation

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.