GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered

Registered
I actually checked recently for GT86 crashes, expecting a good deal of them but found few references. That might be because they only get discussed on facebook. The GR86 might be worse in that respect though on the other hand its niche may even be smaller.

In general I don't mind that there are young people mostly using their cars to show off. What annoys me more is the general shift towards intolerance combined with a security obsession and an inability to drive. Skill comes with play, and play comes with a risk factor, be it a tiny or a large one. We're becoming a society that prioritizes safety over play instead of striking a balance. As a parent I am aware I am part of that evolution and I tell myself to worry less.

Registered
We're becoming a society that prioritizes safety over play instead of striking a balance. As a parent I am aware I am part of that evolution and I tell myself to worry less.
I'm not a parent, but I do have a 馃惐.

It's quiet around here with plenty of gardenspace to explore, even so we have got in the habit of keeping him in late afternoon when the traffic's slightly busier. Perhaps I'm part of that evolution too 馃

Registered
I'm not a parent, but I do have a 馃惐.

It's quiet around here with plenty of gardenspace to explore, even so we have got in the habit of keeping him in late afternoon when the traffic's slightly busier. Perhaps I'm part of that evolution too 馃
I know of too many cases of cats with very short lifespan so I see that slightly differently. They tend to cross right in front of cars. But we are shifting a lot in our perception of how much risk is acceptable.

Super Moderator
If this thread had been on Facebook, several things would have happened:
Lots of profanity.
Questioning of parentage,intelligence,anatomy and taste.
Admin would have gone into overdrive with the ban hammer!

Registered
Yep, seeing the kids in their stanced GT86 is making me think about getting a Lexus LC500 (plus pipe and slippers).
But even an LC500 can look amazing Stanced out :ROFLMAO: Plus they have a v8 so lovely exhaust note when given a pipe of its own.

Registered
Loved reading this. Exactly how I feel about most facebook groups, its borderline toxic.

Ive always driven Land Rovers, and still do, for the past 10 years (30 now). At the start it was meeting up with other people that loved off roading and the like, met a lot of really good friends as well. I loved reading through peoples build threads on forums which taught me everything I know about mechanics now. Then built two of my own.

However since Facebook took over from forums its just horrendous, seeing people buying rotboxes for pennies and "sending it" on farmers land, or trashing anything that looks remotely off road.

Same as the "i fitted blingX part" then you mention, supporting mods are needed and get shutdown for it.... Then you find the same person a few days later asking for help.

I love cars, i love driving, fixing, tinkering and modding. I like to make things bespoke and individual to me. Generally any time I do modify something it serves a real purpose.

Ive always wanted something sporty and more of a drivers car, was fortunate enough to buy an 86 at the end of last year. Couldnt be happier, lovely car in everyway. Very different to my Defender 馃槀

I also love the car community, just a wave at the lights from someone else in a slightly modded car or stopping to check up if your broken down. Always good.

On top of that always prefer forums, the information stays in a thread. Easy to reference and doesnt dissappear in a pile of nonsense on FB

Registered
I do like a bit of Irony.

This once quite busy forum - now quieter thanks to Facebook - has just had its most animated discussion for months - all thanks to .........馃槀

Registered
BRZ (MY2016), Caterham 7
Great thread! I'm 37 now so still just an apprentice old git, but I completely understand where people are coming from. The 'stanced' thing with big wheels and silly camber is blatently dangerous and needs to stop, regardless of what car it's on. Never understood that trend.

As it would happen I took my BRZ to a JDM car meet yesterday, with an old school friend and his MX5. Back when we were kids we would attend the night-time meets in retail park car parks which were usually also attended by plod and could get a bit... interesting. Even back then we tended to park in the corner and look on from a safe distance. The Max Power days were fun in a way but even then of course drew the ire of most people.

The meet yesterday was eye opening, reassuring, and worrying. Some of the modifications people are doing don't make sense to me and don't seem worth the effort - 750hp in a Civic - what use is that going to be? The positive take away was a large group of people who are enthusiastic about their cars, and that's always a good thing in my book. Today's folk who are interested in one silly thing can easily be tomorrow's folk who've learned how suspension works and how to setup a car. The sad thing though was still the need for people to show off when leaving - be it skids or making a racket with their exhaust. I doubt that will ever change.

I love my BRZ. It's really surprised me since I bought it on a bit of a whim in 2020. It has genuine chassis balance and aside from some minor niggles it's a fantastic car to own. Easy to work on, comfortable for long distances, and reasonably practical. I'm possibly on the other end of the spectrum to most people here - my goal is to keep it as standard and as mint as I possibly can. It's garaged, doesn't go out in the wet or salt (unless I really need to), and is always kept spotless inside and out. It's both a nice thing to own and enjoy, as well as a bit of an investment. But it's probably a good thing I also like walking.

My other car is a Caterham which I've owned since 2007. There's absolutely nothing standard about that anymore and it gets the ever living snot kicked out of it whenever it's used, usually on track. It's weapons grade entertainment and means I can enjoy the BRZ as a pure GT cruiser.

Facebook and Instagram - neither of which I partake in anymore - just seem to be about making as much noise as possible with the aim of one day getting your 5 minutes of fame. There's a living in it for some people of course, but a lot of other people I suspect naively see it as being easy and wasting a lot of time and energy taking to 'make it'. Young people don't want to be engineers, designers, actors, or vets anymore - they just want to be influencers. Having the ability to see everyone else's every move is not natural and as a society we've got some big problems ahead.

Registered
Hi Shad, welcome to the forum.

You might want to throw up a thread in the Newbie section, but there again hardly seems essential, I think that stands as a pretty great intro post anyway. 馃檪

Registered
Great thread! I'm 37 now so still just an apprentice old git, but I completely understand where people are coming from. The 'stanced' thing with big wheels and silly camber is blatently dangerous and needs to stop, regardless of what car it's on. Never understood that trend.

As it would happen I took my BRZ to a JDM car meet yesterday, with an old school friend and his MX5. Back when we were kids we would attend the night-time meets in retail park car parks which were usually also attended by plod and could get a bit... interesting. Even back then we tended to park in the corner and look on from a safe distance. The Max Power days were fun in a way but even then of course drew the ire of most people.

The meet yesterday was eye opening, reassuring, and worrying. Some of the modifications people are doing don't make sense to me and don't seem worth the effort - 750hp in a Civic - what use is that going to be? The positive take away was a large group of people who are enthusiastic about their cars, and that's always a good thing in my book. Today's folk who are interested in one silly thing can easily be tomorrow's folk who've learned how suspension works and how to setup a car. The sad thing though was still the need for people to show off when leaving - be it skids or making a racket with their exhaust. I doubt that will ever change.

I love my BRZ. It's really surprised me since I bought it on a bit of a whim in 2020. It has genuine chassis balance and aside from some minor niggles it's a fantastic car to own. Easy to work on, comfortable for long distances, and reasonably practical. I'm possibly on the other end of the spectrum to most people here - my goal is to keep it as standard and as mint as I possibly can. It's garaged, doesn't go out in the wet or salt (unless I really need to), and is always kept spotless inside and out. It's both a nice thing to own and enjoy, as well as a bit of an investment. But it's probably a good thing I also like walking.

My other car is a Caterham which I've owned since 2007. There's absolutely nothing standard about that anymore and it gets the ever living snot kicked out of it whenever it's used, usually on track. It's weapons grade entertainment and means I can enjoy the BRZ as a pure GT cruiser.

Facebook and Instagram - neither of which I partake in anymore - just seem to be about making as much noise as possible with the aim of one day getting your 5 minutes of fame. There's a living in it for some people of course, but a lot of other people I suspect naively see it as being easy and wasting a lot of time and energy taking to 'make it'. Young people don't want to be engineers, designers, actors, or vets anymore - they just want to be influencers. Having the ability to see everyone else's every move is not natural and as a society we've got some big problems ahead.
Nice to see you on this forum.. I think you are on the other one.

I was tipped off about this Podium Place JDM meet but could not make it as i had other commitments.

Would like to meet another fellow BRZ owner locally :) and i am in the same age bracket as you , so thinking am still young but writing like an old man...

Power and torque are the 2 numbers that have been bragged about since the days of the performance car, so 750 BHP is nice for pub bragging rights. Whether its of any use on public roads, NO.

Registered
But even an LC500 can look amazing Stanced out :ROFLMAO: Plus they have a v8 so lovely exhaust note when given a pipe of its own.
Actually to me no car looks amazing stanced out. Stanced to me says ruined car handling and practicality. I love cars that perform well. Stancing borks it. And is clear sign that owner doesn't care how car performs and that for arguable looks willing to sacrifice anything. I may like base car of some model, but stance imho is just unlucky fate for any car to meet.

Registered
BRZ (MY2016), Caterham 7
Nice to see you on this forum.. I think you are on the other one.

I was tipped off about this Podium Place JDM meet but could not make it as i had other commitments.

Would like to meet another fellow BRZ owner locally :) and i am in the same age bracket as you , so thinking am still young but writing like an old man...

Power and torque are the 2 numbers that have been bragged about since the days of the performance car, so 750 BHP is nice for pub bragging rights. Whether its of any use on public roads, NO.
Yes I'm on the other one as well (not sure why there are two but nevermind). I had to register here to buy a set of spare wheels recently so now you're stuck with me!

Podium Place is great. Nice collection of cars inside, nice drinks and snacks, and they have a decent sim-rig too. It's in a bit of an odd location but on the other hand there aren't neighbours to annoy when people are leaving. Worth a visit if you're in the Newbury area. I think they're going for an upmarket Ace Cafe sort of vibe, but with cars inside rather than tables.

Registered
I'm 58. I added an armrest and replaced the 2 piece dash to 1 piece covered in red stitched leather. I use Facebook to allow my old school mates to see how fabulous my life is without them. What does that say about me? :)

Registered
I'm 58. I added an armrest and replaced the 2 piece dash to 1 piece covered in red stitched leather. I use Facebook to allow my old school mates to see how fabulous my life is without them. What does that say about me? :)
That you are so old that you require an armrest!

Registered
So I joined a few GT86 Facebook groups. Damn I feel old now.

It seems as though, now the original twins are out there nearing 10 year old, they are cheap as chips and the 19-20 something zoomers are buying them up, pimping and blinging them into clown cars and plastering them over instagram.

"Tag me on insta bae #pimpmyride"

It bizarre. There are kids simply throwing money on bling parts based entirely on what some kid of Facebook says. If you point out that those part might actually serve a purpose, for, you know, driving the car safely and performantly and you get flamed for putting the kid down.

If you point out that the clown suspension actually just means the car is broken, has no grip, no traction and basically looks like a stupid clown car.... oh boy, are they a sensitive little bunch. Mucho panty bunching.

Then... then there are the multiple posts a WEEK where some moron has binned his blinged 86 into a tree being as idiot and... it's putting all our insurance premiums up. The rich kids are the best though, "Binned it. Had to happen. Eying a new one now. #rip-it-up"

Of course there are almost an equal number of "I'm going to boost the **** out of my FA20" and "My FA20 blew up, where do I get a new one?" posts.

The best is 15 year olds who have posters of GT86s on their bedroom walls giving me sh!t about pretending to own one... after 8 years ownership and 2 GTs from brand new.

It's deeply horrifying but then again, I AM actually old. (47)
So you were 47 at the time of posting, which means you are 55 this year. The big question is are you still driving the 86 now? :)

Registered
So you were 47 at the time of posting, which means you are 55 this year.........
Actually means he's probably still 47 (unless he's just had a birthday).

At the top of the post :

Discussion Starter 路 #1 5 d ago (5 days ago)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts