GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Some nice shots of what is hopefully coming to the U.K. The infotainment screen looks different to the one in the photos which appeared in the U.K. press following the global launch by Toyota

Hopefully not long until the European launch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
U.S. Colour choices

Color choices include Track bRED, Trueno Blue, Neptune Blue, Halo White, Steel Grey, Pavement Grey and Raven Black.

Wonder if they will be the same in U.K./ European markets ?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Looks better in the flesh (well, in the videos).
I will be interested depending on launch price.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
That's a shocking eyesore 😂
Which I could live with quite happily while relishing the better torque (curve) and structural improvements.

Any guesses when we can expect the GR86 on the UK roads? This autumn, maybe?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Which I could live with quite happily while relishing the better torque (curve) and structural improvements.

Any guesses when we can expect the GR86 on the UK roads? This autumn, maybe?
I meant the modded example in Andy's video

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I meant the modded example in Andy's video
Yeah, that is a bit much for me, too. But I have to say the styling of the standard car is growing on me now I'm seeing more videos not just static photos. The front end looks pretty good to me now; it only really the rear I'm still not sold on.

Still, can't see that from the driver's seat, so if they've fixed the only real problem with the original (ie, massive torque hole) and given a little power boost, then I think I might well be interested. Have to start saving some pennies.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Had a GT86 before my 19 BRZ and must say i prefreed the 86 for handling balance. I find my car way too understeery from stock :( This new GR86 is really growing on me and could have the engine it always should've had in 2012. The marketing seems to be saying "track ready". I do hope it's not as soft as before becuase even my 86 felt like it had a sloppy disjointed rear end at times with cheap bushings or something..

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
BRZ is not that understeery. Also IIRC restyle brz & gt86 have same shocks/rollbars (unlike slightly different for earliest twins). I find gt86 understeery (with stock alignment) aswell. Just add some negative camber in front, and imho you'll like grip balance more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m really liking the look of the GR86 from all angles, just got to be patient for the U.K. / European launch date. With the way things are heading legislation wise I can’t see there being another ICE car like this. The 10 year Toyota Warranty should offer peace of mind who see this as a “Keeper”.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking at the torque curve on the dash read out it seems the torque dip is still present. Though it does seem reduced, though I wonder how accurately presented it is given the level of criticism regarding the previous model.

Though it seems once you hit that peak at 3,XXX RPM the torque seems to gradually fade.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Being critical the part ringed looks a little odd to my eyes, all a mix of shapes. Not sure the vents needed emphasizing with such a massive surround, its bigger than the rev counter!

Also i do wish they could intergrate the screen instead of it looking like a garage diagnostic machine by Autel

Untitled.jpg

also saw a Suzuki Jimny interior for some reason on first look
15-suzuki-jimny-2018-rt-dashboard.jpg

·
Registered
244 Posts
BRZ is not that understeery. Also IIRC restyle brz & gt86 have same shocks/rollbars (unlike slightly different for earliest twins). I find gt86 understeery (with stock alignment) aswell. Just add some negative camber in front, and imho you'll like grip balance more.
I had pre restyle 86 and that had a really loose end, too much for my liking but a lot of that was down to the primacies i guess. Just hoping that GR have made a more neutral to oversteer balance on this more track ready car..

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I had pre restyle 86 and that had a really loose end, too much for my liking but a lot of that was down to the primacies i guess. Just hoping that GR have made a more neutral to oversteer balance on this more track ready car..
It's easy to overcome grip of stock primacies. Both intentionally and when pushed or when doing wrong driver inputs at wrong times. But when i actually tried to drive fast on track (which is grip-driving obviously, not drifting of any kind), with stock alignment (zero front camber and -1.1deg rear camber) in many corners (in addition to uneven (for track use) camberwear with ripped outer sides of fronts. With -3 front camber and -2.5 rear it's much better for me. I'm guessing in similar way increasing front 0dg camber to some -1 or -1.5 should cure most of mentioned understeer in BRZ, and such modest values can be easily got by cheap camberbolt set + alignment job (a bit more expensive). Well, such car grip balance is to be expected, most modern cars usually are (via alignment, or other methods) as stock more understeer biased, due that considered as generally safer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts