GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How’s it going, i’ve currently got a 17 Golf GTD, i’m 19 and have been looking at a switch to a GT86, im worried it’ll underperform a lot as all i can read is that it’s “insanely” slow. The reason for the switch is i only do 10 miles a day to work and back which is very low to do in a diesel. Just wanted peoples thoughts on the switch and some honest opinions on the GT86 itself. Thank you

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome, the GT86 in standard form will never win the traffic light GP, but 'insanely slow', it isn't. It's still a 200bhp car and a great place to be / car to drive.

Go and test drive one. You won't be disappointed (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome, the GT86 in standard form will never win the traffic light GP, but 'insanely slow', it isn't. It's still a 200bhp car and a great place to be / car to drive.

Go and test drive one. You won't be disappointed (y)
Appreciate the reply, i’ve got a test drive booked for Saturday 👍🏽

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
It's going to be pretty much the opposite to you Golf GTD. The power delivery you are used to won't be there and you will need to use the engines full rev range to get the most out of it, it will feel gutless. However the chassis dynamics and driving position are fantastic and are going to be absolutely leagues ahead of the Golf. The seating position and layout is great, all the controls are well balanced and it drives and handles superbly.

You are 19, why on earth are you driving such a dull motor vehicle, you have the rest of your senior years to do drive the 'domestic white goods' of the car world. Get one, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's going to be pretty much the opposite to you Golf GTD. The power delivery you are used to won't be there and you will need to use the engines full rev range to get the most out of it, it will feel gutless. However the chassis dynamics and driving position are fantastic and are going to be absolutely leagues ahead of the Golf. The seating position and layout is great, all the controls are well balanced and it drives and handles superbly.

You are 19, why on earth are you driving such a dull motor vehicle, you have the rest of your senior years to do drive the 'domestic white goods' of the car world. Get one, you won't be disappointed.
Thanks for the reply, i work for VW so a GTD seemed ideal to insure with enough torque to make it quite nippy, my idea of “fun” was fast but hopefully it changes my mind after the test drive on saturday

·
Registered
498 Posts
Dunno if im missing the point, but in what way? 😂
A Golf diesel probably doesn't do exciting. Unless you find a bit of shove in a straight line exciting.

A GT86/BRZ is exciting. It would completely outhandle a Golf.

·
Premium Member
GT86, 2012, Satin White
101 Posts
Thanks for the reply, i work for VW so a GTD seemed ideal to insure with enough torque to make it quite nippy, my idea of “fun” was fast but hopefully it changes my mind after the test drive on saturday
Keep a Golf R on your list too then? Friend of mine has one that leaves me looking for a lower gear anytime there is a bit of straight road. But we both have different views of fun and I'm happy chasing him down the road listening to the VVT sing their hearts out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
How’s it going, i’ve currently got a 17 Golf GTD, i’m 19 and have been looking at a switch to a GT86, im worried it’ll underperform a lot as all i can read is that it’s “insanely” slow. The reason for the switch is i only do 10 miles a day to work and back which is very low to do in a diesel. Just wanted peoples thoughts on the switch and some honest opinions on the GT86 itself. Thank you
Maybe I'm showing my age, but if seeking out opinions on cars I will often visit sites such as Autocar and TopGear, who in the case of the GT86 mention the words "pleasing level of performance" and "usefully brisk" .

Have not seen the term "insanely slow" anywhere, perhaps I should be checking out Top Fuel Dragsters Monthly? 😃.

On the right road a GT86 can most certainly feel pretty fast and is hugely more involving than a FWD VAG diesel (I've driven quite a few over the years - and don't especially want to ever drive another......) Twisty rural roads are where the 86 really shines, but the car for me is simply an enjoyable drive at any speed on any road - it's always a great place to be.

Something to bear in mind that might be relevant for your roadtest, an 86 drives better solo on Vpower than with a 15 stone salesman sat next to you and 95ron E10 petrol in the tank .....

In the meantime suggest you watch this (even if you've already seen it)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep a Golf R on your list too then? Friend of mine has one that leaves me looking for a lower gear anytime there is a bit of straight road. But we both have different views of fun and I'm happy chasing him down the road listening to the VVT sing their hearts out.
I’d have it on my list if there was any way of getting it insured, but
Thanks a lot, really didn’t expect this many if any answers when joining the community, i think i’m mostly sold on it if all goes well on the test drive,
Maybe I'm showing my age, but if seeking out opinions on cars I will often visit sites such as Autocar and TopGear, who in the case of the GT86 mention the words "pleasing level of performance" and "usefully brisk" .

Have not seen the term "insanely slow" anywhere, perhaps I should be checking out Top Fuel Dragsters Monthly? 😃.

On the right road a GT86 can most certainly feel pretty fast and is hugely more involving than a FWD VAG diesel (I've driven quite a few over the years - and don't especially want to ever drive another......) Twisty rural roads are where the 86 really shines, but the car for me is simply an enjoyable drive at any speed on any road - it's always a great place to be.

Something to bear in mind that might be relevant for your roadtest, an 86 drives better solo on Vpower than with a 15 stone salesman sat next to you and 95ron E10 petrol in the tank .....

In the meantime suggest you watch this (even if you've already seen it)

Thanks a lot, really didn’t expect this many if any answers when joining the community, i think i’m mostly sold on it if all goes well on the test drive.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You will learn and experience a classic formula here a Front Engine Rear Wheel drive , low centre of gravity sports car which is very different to a hot hatch and that too a diesel one.

Like others have said, its plenty quick, you will need to adapt your driving style to not short shift but to rev the engine before upshifting. You can also experience a track day or two in this car to see if that interests you.
If you really feel the need for more power later on, there are loads of aftermarket options available in terms of forced induction etc as the platform is very customisable and well supported in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
GT86
13 Posts
Personally, from my perspective, its the response time that is plenty quick, It can get power off the lights just as quick as my V6 Jag XE S i used to have, Sure i might not do sub 5s 0-60s, so coming from that i have not felt like i have downgraded, and by the time you get to decent speeds in the UK you have ran out of road, And im sure that depending on location everyone wants to have some fun, but at the same time, its not worth losing your licence over, in power for our roads, I find it just right, and you actually get to play with the engine in this car instead of hitting 80+ in 2nd gear heh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Personally, from my perspective, its the response time that is plenty quick, It can get power off the lights just as quick as my V6 Jag XE S i used to have, Sure i might not do sub 5s 0-60s, so coming from that i have not felt like i have downgraded, and by the time you get to decent speeds in the UK you have ran out of road, And im sure that depending on location everyone wants to have some fun, but at the same time, its not worth losing your licence over, in power for our roads, I find it just right, and you actually get to play with the engine in this car instead of hitting 80+ in 2nd gear heh.
Great response, my GTD is only 0-60 in about 6.6s stock, but for it being my second car (after a 1.4 corsa) that felt fairly quick to say the least, ofcourse as well as it having 380nm of torque. I think the GT86 is one of those you need to drive to decide so that’s what i’ll do!

·
Registered
GT86
13 Posts
Great response, my GTD is only 0-60 in about 6.6s stock, but for it being my second car (after a 1.4 corsa) that felt fairly quick to say the least, ofcourse as well as it having 380nm of torque. I think the GT86 is one of those you need to drive to decide so that’s what i’ll do!
Yeah if you know your own driving style, its easy to understand if its right for you, My first test drive i was like.... Yes, This is pleasant, I even have the auto but thats what i was after and for me i dont see it any less fun than the manual, its preference, I aimed to get a small auto GT car and its basically the only one on the market, Its a clever car to actually enjoy it for what it is, driving.
And if you come across many flowing corners down the b roads, stick to like 50 and just flow with them, the gliding experience is beautiful, feels like im playing a game or something heh.

You are likely not gonna notice any considerable speed difference in all honesty might actually feel faster cause your arse is gonna be planted low to the ground

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is also a review worth checking out Toyota GT86 (2012-2021) review – the best budget sports car on sale? | Evo

I'm selling mine now after enjoying 4 years with it. I'm 56 years young so its time for me to clamber into something a little taller:p

It's worth mentioning I came from a 245bhp straight six and a 330bhp flat four as previous cars and I never once saw my BRZ as a downgrade in terms of performance.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm 54 and only just bought mine lol
She's staying until the day i can't physically get into it 😁
Same here - well ok I'm 53 and got it 2 years ago.

I think it's a few years since @Subota Boy was 56......

Admittedly it's easier to hang onto an 86 in later life IMO if you have other options (no longer my daily driver).

Reactions: IvanDP
1 - 19 of 19 Posts