GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here find the gear changes knotchy? Hope will loosen up as wears in? Particularly noticeable changing down from 3rd to second. Still only done 250 miles so far so hopefully will get smoother?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm finding 1st and 2nd a little tricky to change between smoothly but thought that largely due to me needing to get used to the car after driving a Fiesta for the past two years.

·
Registered
977 Posts
First few changes are notchy when it's cold, double declutching works a treat. It all gets much smoother with miles, though. Don't be a thug with it, by simply pushing the stick harder and harder... Careful matching of revs and speed is required.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Mine is also notchy 3rd to 2nd, but has only done 300 miles...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone with loads of miles on the clock got an opinion? I am being gentle with the gears but tbh getting wrist ache 3rd down to second and driving like a bunny! lol Still love it tho just hoping it gets smoother

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have only just done 550 miles so far and changing from 3rd to second, when not warm, can be notchy.To be honest I think it will loosen up with heat/wear/miles so I am not at all concerned. Double declutching does solve it.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I think double de-clutching will only prolong how long it takes for the synchros to bed in.

·
Registered
363 Posts
gt_sjo said:
I think double de-clutching will only prolong how long it takes for the synchros to bed in.

You are not wrong there! I had that issue with one of my other cars. Best to be as smooth as possible and use it as it was intended. It is definitely smoother with heat, the problem is probably more obvious because a lot of us are not taking the engine above 4000rpm just yet.

·
Registered
655 Posts
splerb said:
Anyone with loads of miles on the clock got an opinion? I am being gentle with the gears but tbh getting wrist ache 3rd down to second and driving like a bunny! lol Still love it tho just hoping it gets smoother

There's quite a ratio difference and second will have double or triple synchro cones.

You'll need to rev-match and don't worry about it taking longer to run in! Smoothness is the key to fastness.

·
Registered
469 Posts
splerb said:
Eh... In English please? Female damsel!
Nah, that won't work - Female Damsel wouldn't have the sense or taste to pick a GT86 in the first place..!

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
splerb said:

Why not google 'how it works' rather than be a bad advert for your gender?

If blokes can understand these things, it can hardly be rocket science can it?

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
lordgrover said:
When you say gender, do you mean sex?

No I mean gender, it is the term that is used these days.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Lauren said:
splerb said:

Why not google 'how it works' rather than be a bad advert for your gender?

If blokes can understand these things, it can hardly be rocket science can it? 
Hey I've got a degree in that! Are you qualified to say what is and what isn't rocket science !

BSc (hons) Eng. Aeronautics and Astronautics Southampton 1984

You are qualified in telling me how to improve driving a RWD car though ! As I found tonight I still have a lot to learn there!

Alec

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.