GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2016 (2012-2016) lapis blue GT86
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a new owner. Picked up a 2016 plate (pre-facelift) GT86 in the last couple of weeks.

I used to have a MK1 MR2 and was missing having something fun to drive. Decided my Mazda, while very good, was just boring.

My dad has had a 2018 plate since new and I loved it from the test drive (incidentally I can already feel the difference in the two - his is twitchier and has the extra bit of torque response).

So far so good. It came with very sketchy service history (madness that people don't look after their cars these days).

I've had a new windscreen - it was scattergunned with chips - and I've had a full service at Tuning Developments in Warrington as well as the tracking sorted at Demon Tweeks in Wrexham (very close to where I live).

It all looks stock. Had a couple of dodgy brand tyres on the rear which I'll be swapping soon.

No spoiler, which I like, and I also like the nose on the pre-facelift slightly more.

It's Lapis Blue/ Galaxy Blue K3X, option code EKBK and trim code M20 (if anyone knows that they relate too!)

I've got a couple of small scratches and a slight dent in the bonnet I'm going to get sorted but otherwise it's in tiptop.

I used to be very active on the MR2 forum and found this group really informative already.

Looking forward to the meets etc when we can!

Cheers,

Paul,

Super Moderator
Hi all, I'm a new owner. Picked up a 2016 plate (pre-facelift) GT86 in the last couple of weeks.

I used to have a MK1 MR2 and was missing having something fun to drive. Decided my Mazda, while very good, was just boring.

My dad has had a 2018 plate since new and I loved it from the test drive (incidentally I can already feel the difference in the two - his is twitchier and has the extra bit of torque response).

So far so good. It came with very sketchy service history (madness that people don't look after their cars these days).

I've had a new windscreen - it was scattergunned with chips - and I've had a full service at Tuning Developments in Warrington as well as the tracking sorted at Demon Tweeks in Wrexham (very close to where I live).

View attachment 6055

It all looks stock. Had a couple of dodgy brand tyres on the rear which I'll be swapping soon.

No spoiler, which I like, and I also like the nose on the pre-facelift slightly more.

It's Lapis Blue/ Galaxy Blue K3X, option code EKBK and trim code M20 (if anyone knows that they relate too!)

I've got a couple of small scratches and a slight dent in the bonnet I'm going to get sorted but otherwise it's in tiptop.

I used to be very active on the MR2 forum and found this group really informative already.

Cheers,

Paul,
Welcome to the club Paul. We are all itching to get out to meets when it's safe to do so!
Enjoy your new car 馃榿

Registered

View attachment 6055

Cheers,

Paul,
Welcome, I came from a mr2 mk2 before moving to the 86 (That's also galaxy blue) 馃槑

Registered
Welcome Paul, I'd love a nice MR2 MK1 !

What Mazda did you have ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Paul, I'd love a nice MR2 MK1 !

What Mazda did you have ?
I had a mk1bin silver, sunroof, 87. Was a lot of fun - you were never at risk of being fast but it drove nicely and had pop up lights! The body work is a nightmare though. So much rust.

pretty much the same clock as the gt86 though which I like. Obviously the ae86 Corolla shared parts with the MR2. Including the engine.

I had a Mazda 3. 2016. It was the 1.5. Super cheap tax. Good car. Would happily have a Mazda again and I thought it was a bit different to a Focus or similar. Think my 2 year old preferred 鈥渢he red car鈥 as he keeps telling me the blue car is 鈥渢oo noisy鈥.

Registered
Rust on the MK1 being one reason I did virtually all of my MR2 miles in Mk3s (which are pretty solid). Fun factor across the two cars was similar, did very few miles in my MK1, but always remember the lovely steering feel. It's the only unassisted steering on a RWD car I've ever experienced and definitely one reason I'd like to own a MK1 again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I always enjoyed the drive. Although I never drove another one and with 130k on the clock, 30 years old and multiple owners before me, who knows if it drove properly or not. It leaked a bit of oil from the sump and was pretty tappety. I got the interior looking mint though so when I was inside I didn't worry too much about the patchwork of silver on the outside!

I've been looking at mk3s ever since I sold my Mk1. Liked the idea of one as a second car and it being a bit more modern. Ultimately, parking space and practicality of not wanting to own two cars again (and dabbling with the idea of a motorbike) led me to the GT86! Best of it all.

Registered
Welcome Paul!! Enjoy!

Registered
I've been looking at mk3s ever since I sold my Mk1. Liked the idea of one as a second car and it being a bit more modern. Ultimately, parking space and practicality of not wanting to own two cars again (and dabbling with the idea of a motorbike) led me to the GT86! Best of it all.
MY GT86 replaced two cars - (a Blue Mk3 MR2 & a E46 325ci) and much though I loved both of those, I now don't miss either. Still got a Red Mk3 MR2 on the drive and then there's the 3 motorbikes in the garage :)

Have never had a "two year old" though which tends to make all of the above a lot easier I expect. TBH I'm looking to slim the fleet down a bit, after a year of Covid restrictions owning 3 motorbikes has never felt more pointless and the Red MR2 is just a collection of spares in reality.........

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I may as well add on here. I'm a few weeks in and thoroughly enjoying every drive. We had a bit of snow/ hail, following the sunshine (in the same day) on Tuesday, so I thought I'd attempt to get a bit of movement in the rear. So far, it's got more traction than any car I've driven! I wasn't trying to do anything stupid and I had a little bit slippage but nothing silly.

Two questions:

1) Does the antislide just naturally cut in quite early on the MY12?
2) When you see videos of the TV testers (admittedly professional drivers) power sliding, presumably they've turned all the gadgets off?

I've also got mismatched rear tyres, which I'm going to change, but I think that might be adding to it.

Cheers all.

Registered
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I may as well add on here. I'm a few weeks in and thoroughly enjoying every drive. We had a bit of snow/ hail, following the sunshine (in the same day) on Tuesday, so I thought I'd attempt to get a bit of movement in the rear. So far, it's got more traction than any car I've driven! I wasn't trying to do anything stupid and I had a little bit slippage but nothing silly.

Two questions:

1) Does the antislide just naturally cut in quite early on the MY12?
2) When you see videos of the TV testers (admittedly professional drivers) power sliding, presumably they've turned all the gadgets off?

I've also got mismatched rear tyres, which I'm going to change, but I think that might be adding to it.

Cheers all.
Here's a good breakdown of the control system. Your car will match up with the blue dots, for the 2016 and older cars.
track mode.PNG

Having mismatched tyres front to back isn't great but on the same axel, is a big no-no. The potential difference in grip levels and handling characteristics, will definitely be upsetting the car when you are pushing it.
I appreciate the mismatch isn't down to you and you've not had the car long, so fair play for getting it sorted quickly.

There are multiple modes the car can be put in too, again the pre 2017 data (top table) what's relevant for model year.
Screenshot_20200624-114307~2.png

For the stuff you've seen on TV, chances are they will have done what's know as "The Pedal Dance" or "Mode 5" I believe. This really isn't something for public roads but looks cool on TV!
Unless you're doing something you probably shouldn't be doing on a public road, "Mode 1" (Normal) and "Mode 2" should be all you ever need.

Church did a good job of describing the modes in this post...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brilliant explanations. Thank you for taking the time to share it.

I need to review the posts on tyres. My default was to get Michelin Primacy as it was the OEM but if there are others which are still fun to drive on then open to recommendations!

Registered
Brilliant explanations. Thank you for taking the time to share it.

I need to review the posts on tyres. My default was to get Michelin Primacy as it was the OEM but if there are others which are still fun to drive on then open to recommendations!
You're very welcome :)

There's a lot of threads on tyres, so I'll not open that can of worms here lol.
The only think I will say, is the classic bit of advice "always put decent tyres on your car, they are the only thing connecting you to the road!". That doesn't mean you necessarily need to spend a fortune, just something decent that suits your application.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Put some new shoes on. Pilot Sport 4 from Demon Tweeks which is just up the road. Made such a difference already. The car feels like a different vehicle and much more engaging, dynamic - bit slidier too. I also have managed 33.5 mpg in my last 270 miles, mostly short journeys. Impressed. My maths, not the onboard computer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts