GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
BRZ (MY2016), Caterham 7
52 Posts
#1 - Drive less. Seriously. If you can walk or cycle somewhere nearby rather than drive, why not?
#2 - Adjust your driving style. Plan ahead to avoid braking/slowing down more than necessary. Has that light been green a while? probably going to change by the time you get there, so lift and coast (but stay in gear). Is it already red? Lift and coast, but try to arrive without needing to stop. Be smooth with your inputs, accelerating and braking gently. Don't use more throttle than you need to. And drive to the speed limit, or less on motorways (100kph/62mph is a pretty economical cruising speed I find). Utilise the gear up/down indicator on the dash, it's good for economy.
#3 - Take weight out of the car. If you've got junk in your boot you don't need, take it out. No need to waste fuel carrying unnecessary weight around with you.
#4 - Keep the car well maintained. Service it with regular oil changes with the correct oil. Make sure the tyre pressures are correct (35psi all round I think).

That's my starter.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Well a few tips I can come up with right away
  • be aware that a cold engine uses a lot of fuel. So short distances are costly. However they are also short.
  • Fuel consumption goes up considerable above 60mph because the effect of air resistance depends an awful lot on the speed.
  • braking is costly so you save money by picking routes where you don't need to brake
  • Full throttle is much more costly than acceleration at half throttle.

Summarizing, the less fun you have the more you save :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
"less fun you have the more you save" - 100%. Most tips for ecomiling are completely against what i'd ever wish to use in car i bought for driving fun. Choosing to pay extra for fun :)

·
Registered
BRZ (MY2016), Caterham 7
52 Posts
If fuel efficiency is of concern, then you've bought the wrong car
With respect, I disagree. There's a time and a place to use more fuel and have more fun. There's no reason you can't drive economically and sensibly 99% of the time - around town, motorways, etc. - leaving you some 'budget' to play with when the time is right, like your favourite back road.

There's just no need to be wasteful with fuel.

·
Registered
307 Posts
With respect, I disagree. There's a time and a place to use more fuel and have more fun. There's no reason you can't drive economically and sensibly 99% of the time - around town, motorways, etc. - leaving you some 'budget' to play with when the time is right, like your favourite back road.

It's fair to say that "Green Car Guide" disagreed also as they gave it 10 out of 10 🙂

Reactions: Shad

·
Registered
307 Posts
Read that review a while ago and - admittedly - did think 10 out of 10 seemed slightly high praise for a car that would average about 28mpg on my 8 mile trip to work in Winter 😂 (but have easily got well over 40 on longer journeys).

Some more specific areas to look at:

1) Wheel alignment (if the wheels aren't all rolling in the same direction you are wasting fuel.....)

2) Brake maintenance - sticky calipers obviously not helpful, raise each wheel and check they all turn with same minimal amount of effort

3) Tyre choice - tyres come with a fuel efficiency rating

4) Fuel selection - you may find you get better mpg with eg Shell Vpower than regular unleaded (not necessarily enough more mpg to cover the price difference though).

·
Registered
774 Posts
While the twins weren't built for hypermiling... you can get decent numbers of out them. As it's been said, driving style is the big one to look at.

If it was safe to do so, I'd say stick a block of wood under the accelerator to limit how much it can move. You'd be surprised how much little throttle you need to pull away slowly and smoothly.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts

Well put. One does not exclude the other.

·
Registered
GT86
11 Posts
After only owning "Performance" cars and being a mostly laid back driver, The best thing i can advise provided the tires are fine as i would like to think that is a given is focus on your driving style.

Mine is tailored to automatics, as i typically like cruising, It does not mean i cant have fun at all, that said my jag XE S would give me 40MPG on a normal day, as i barely used the engine, probably flicked it to 3k RPM max on a normal commute, that thing would hover on motorways at 65mph like 800RPM though heh

My 86 whilst i have not had it for long its on the 32MPG mark, Yes its auto, typically that likes sitting somewhere in the sub 2000 RPM range most the time and its extremely high on the gears i would have to drop x2 gears if i wanted to pick up the pace, also, keep idling to a minimum, personally i dont switch off/on my engine after 5 mins or so, but thats just me, and its one of the better cars to not use the throttle with when going downhill, Speed limits exist afterall.

Also depending how you fill up, I dont fill a full tank, More like 90% as its just gonna be less weight when you roll out of the court :p

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Normal driving for me, going out for a fun drive, gives around 22-25 MPG between brimming the tank. The other day, did a relaxed drive on the A27 (50 miles each way). Pleased to find on brimming the tank on my return to achieve 32.81 mpg! So there is the difference, for me, between having fun and going on a relaxed journey to meet some GT86 buddies.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve heard getting the headers replaced and a tune can help economy.
Seems counter intuitive, more power but better economy…

But I suppose it likely changes driving habits, if the torque dip is gone, you don’t have to Rev it as much, to get moving.

Also, I assume tuning the car for performance over emissions may see an increase in overall efficiency.
I bet repeated cold start cycles actually has a noticeable effect on economy too, with the car over fuelling and adding revs to get the smaller cat warmed up as quickly as it can.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
JB86: and i heard opposite cases too, that even while headers & tune should reduce exhaust restriction, add power (and thus lessen need to floor it more for same performance), run on leaner AFR, some had worsened economy in daily driving. I'm guessing, that because of fuel economy mostly dependent on "drivers' foot", and one that has done performance mods, may subconciously drive more aggressive, floor more, drive at lower revs, do some small tire chirping slides here & there, coast less, install also grippier (but of worse rolling resistance) tires instead of stock eco primacies, to feel acceleration/hear engine noise from added mods more. I myself probably simply wouldn't care for fuel economy change in both cases, be it unmodded or modded car, as this is chosen/bought with prioritizing driver's enjoyment, not practicality (or economy), and most economical driving is not exactly most enjoyable, so i just fill full tank whenever it's empty, not minding how much car uses up, and filling with 98, not cheaper 95, even while car capable of using later (at cost of slight power drop).

·
Registered
23 Posts
JB86: and i heard opposite cases too, that even while headers & tune should reduce exhaust restriction, add power (and thus lessen need to floor it more for same performance), run on leaner AFR, some had worsened economy in daily driving. I'm guessing, that because of fuel economy mostly dependent on "drivers' foot", and one that has done performance mods, may subconciously drive more aggressive, floor more, drive at lower revs, do some small tire chirping slides here & there, coast less, install also grippier (but of worse rolling resistance) tires instead of stock eco primacies, to feel acceleration/hear engine noise from added mods more. I myself probably simply wouldn't care for fuel economy change in both cases, be it unmodded or modded car, as this is chosen/bought with prioritizing driver's enjoyment, not practicality (or economy), and most economical driving is not exactly most enjoyable, so i just fill full tank whenever it's empty, not minding how much car uses up, and filling with 98, not cheaper 95, even while car capable of using later (at cost of slight power drop).
I’ve measured the difference when using 95 vs 99 fuel and while obviously not in lab conditions, economy is noticeably better on 99.

Though that’s more likely due to E10 vs E5 fuel. All of my vehicles, both cars and both bikes dropped in economy since E10 became the norm. Not quite so certain about it’s eco credentials, I bet it helps with the petrol company profits though…

One thing that appears not to make much of a difference… tyre size.

My car has 9.5J 18” wheels on with 255 tyres. So a lot wider than the stock 7J wheels. I’m running Kumho PS71’s.

My long distance motorway cruising MPG is the same ~40mpg that my Dad gets in his completely standard 86 on Eagle F5’s.

My highest ever avg MPG was 44.5mpg over 180 miles on a particularly boring drive which matches the highest value my Dad’s ever achieved, even on the original primacy tyres.

Kind of surprising, I expected the wider wheels to have a noticeable impact on fuel economy but doesn’t seem to be the case.

Normally on mixed driving trips, 35mpg is the norm for me and around town or on more exuberant drives, 30mpg is what I expect to see and as you say, I didn’t buy this car for economy, so it’s not driven gently.

I’ve been surprised though! I sold my hybrid Golf for this car, which could produce a similar 200bhp.
It usually got around 45-50mpg on motorway trips over 100 miles. So the fact the GT86, a 10 year old car, with a NA 2.0 performance engine, manual gearbox and no hybrid system isn’t a million miles off VW’s very efficient 1.4TSI blue motion engine, with a DSG and electric motor to help, is really very impressive!!

Probably helps the 86 is a good 350kg lighter!
Of course on short trips, the Golf managed well over 100mpg but I’ve been impressed by the efficiency of the 2.0 Boxer.

Car is currently in for its valve spring recall. So let’s see if tearing the engine down has any impact…

1 - 17 of 17 Posts