GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First frosty morning sicne having the GT86, windscreen frozen solid with ripply ice and side windows also had a layer of solid frost on the rubber seal bit... which made me hesitate - You know the windows drop a little when you open the door, well if the window is frozen solid is that not likely to damage the seal when it trys to drop..?

I've had mornings with the Fiesta where you really didn't want to try and press the Down button to open the side window as the frost had sealed it so tight it may damage the seal..?

Is there a way of preventing the side windows doing that little drop during the winter months or is it getting a hairdrier out on a long extension lead to carefully defrost the window so you can get into the car.

G

·
Never an issue with my e46 coupe or 350z for example.
I'll leave it to the northern monkehs to explore and report back.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Having had a number of cars with frameless doors and the odd one that drops the glass, it would seem that pouring a little lukewarm water along the seal before opening is a good bet.

Even if you don't it is reasonably unlikely to damage the seal, but you can't help but feel that it is putting stress on the mechanism. Then again Subura are renowned for their frameless doors, so you'd think they would have got it down to a fine art by now.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Lets get that North South divide going !

Don't quite know where about I fit any more, born and bred in London/Essex but now live "oop North", maybe this is it !

AlecEdited by: keelerad

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Lauren said:
Having had a number of cars with frameless doors and the odd one that drops the glass, it would seem that pouring a little lukewarm water along the seal before opening is a good bet. 

Even if you don't it is reasonably unlikely to damage the seal, but you can't help but feel that it is putting stress on the mechanism. Then again Subura are renowned for their frameless doors, so you'd think they would have got it down to a fine art by now. 
Just in case: note Lauren suggests luke warm, do not even contemplate using hot/boiling water or it could be expensive

[TUBE]u6P8MQDxmHE[/TUBE]

Alec

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Lauren said:
Having had a number of cars with frameless doors and the odd one that drops the glass, <strong sab="826">it would seem that pouring a little lukewarm water along the seal before opening is a good bet[/b].<div sab="827"><br sab="828">
<div sab="829">Even if you don't it is reasonably unlikely to damage the seal, but you can't help but feel that it is putting stress on the mechanism. Then again Subura are renowned for their frameless doors, so you'd think they would have got it down to a fine art by now.
<div sab="830">
<div sab="831">Not sure if pouring warm water on is such a good idea? Wouldn't de-iceing spray be better / safer?
<div sab="832">
<div sab="833">Dave
<div sab="833">
<div sab="833">Edit: Beaten to it by Alec (keelerad)

Edited by: Pitman

·
Registered
855 Posts
Or treat the windows occasionally with rain kleer or similar. Makes the ice not stick to the glass, and then no problem with opening the windows.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I''ve had this problem with my Alfa Mito. I get around it by pushing the door shut whilst I pull the door handle to open it. If the window didn't drop then I was very cautious not to slam the door shut whilst the glass hand't dropped. Never found a way round it though. Not sure how I can silicone the seal without getting the silicone on the window too.... Could always try clearing out the bikes from the garage and using that for the car instead?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
keelerad said:
Lauren said:

Just in case: note Lauren suggests luke warm, do not even contemplate using hot/boiling water or it could be expensive

[TUBE]u6P8MQDxmHE[/TUBE]

Alec
Hot / boiling water was acceptable back in the 70s; my mum's 1100 was routinely defrosted in this way although it was a waste of time as being built by BL it often failed to start

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'll be using the garage method. As a southern fairy.

G

·
The best thing out door car covers are for is scratching the paintwork.
Unless its spotlessly clean, any dust or dirt will be rubbed into the paint by the merest breath of wind.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, as there's no garage option for me, car covers aren't a good choice... the hairdrier on a long lead is looking to be the most favourable option so far... (apart from Nick's silicon suggestion).

I'm very glad I kept my little Fester for the winter.

·
Registered
967 Posts
This is the stuff you need -http://www.einszett.co.uk/Gummi-Pflege.php

I used this on my Mito which does the same thing of dropping it's windows when opening the door and never had a problem with frozen door to window 'interface'

·
Registered
655 Posts
The 1Z's Pritt stick applicator is a good idea, Tim. You have to spray the Holt's onto a cloth & rub it in.

Most of it disappears into the pores, so there is very little greasiness left on the windows.

There are a lot of rubbers on an S2000 that require treatment - mainly to keep water leaks out!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.