GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
First time posting after lurking for quite a while.

Was due to pick up my shiny new black GT86 tomorrow, it was even at the dealership, but no longer possible. During the PDI the technicians took the car out for a test run and noted an intermittent engine misfire. They knew this was a problem because a sister dealership had a similar fault in a customer car a couple of days earlier.

It would appear to be a control valve in the engine that requires replacement, so not a major problem or a long fix. Unfortunately, the only spares are currently back at the factory in Japan - could be a 2/3 week delay.

Not a happy bunny, but the dealership have been upfront and honest and contacted me as soon as they found out. No complaints there.

However, two cars just on the road with the same faulty part seems worrying. Watch out for intermittent misfiring.

Ho hum....continue waiting....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, yes. Just spent the last hour reading through a 20 page thread aboutthe CEL (check engine light)issue. It doesn't make for reassuring reading. Sounds like an ECU change, new valves/sensors and the engine taken apart. Not a great thing to do to a brand new car.
As I haven't taken delivery/paid for it yet wonder where I stand on cancelling and getting deposit back?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
They should supply you an alternative car, not fix the one you haven't bought

Sounds like tripe to me; they've probably another customer that needs a black one.......

It's a great car and I'd take yank gripes with a pinch of salt.

Black brz available at my local dealer.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I must admit, it is slightly off-putting. I've been reading some of these threads over on ft86club and it does seem that there are some problems floating around. I know the first year of any new car shows up a lot of things, but these faults should have been identified with durability testing. Someone's made a cock-up somewhere and I know at our place, the warranty guys will be going ape.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whilst it would be great if it were a completely different issue, I suspect that it will not turn out that way.
My gut says that they seemed to diagnose the problem and identify a solution too quickly for them not to be aware of it already.

Going to sleep on it, go inand have a face-to-face chat tomorrowthen go from there.

I hope I'm wrong but I think this has further to run...

·
Registered
482 Posts
From the number in the USA , it's seems low ..I guess a few problems are to be expected , Pick mine up tommorow afternoon

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Yorkshire_GT86 said:
Whilst it would be great if it were a completely different issue, I suspect that it will not turn out that way.
Really??!! You'd rather it was a new issue that wasn'tknown about? The VVTi problems have a remedy and should be fixed quickly and easily. I just hope it's sorted quickly for you

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I can only imagine that this is really stressful for you and all our advice etc will only add to the aggravation.
However, don't forget that under sale of goods act you can reject an item that isn't fit for purpose. The more you let the dealer try to resolve it the weaker your position can become. Unfortunately my family has had issues with this in the past, i got my money back on a New Citroen Saxo and my Dad got a replacement Lotus Elise after the original car had a faulty gearbox after 50 miles.

If you bought a TV that wasn't right you'd expect a replacement..........

Hope it all gets sorted for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Kodename47 I just meant a small fault that didn't involve dismantling half the engine.

After further googling it would seem specifically to be a problem with the exhaust valve actuator and Toyota ARE aware of the issue.

Next stop the dealership and see what they know.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If the goods require to be repaired before use at point if sale, you are legally entitled to reject the goods under the Sale of Goods Act. A seller might try and tell you otherwise, but you have a strong legal position if you choose to use it.

If in doubt, contact your local Trading Standards Dept for further advice.

Or of course you could quite easily accept the repaired car.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Some of the US symptoms could be confused with not being able to drive a manual

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've ordered an OBD2 analyser, just in case I need to pull the code & it's the T000019.

You buy a car straight off the devlopment team, you expect this sort of thing - production inexperience & errors that were not picked up during testing.

A least it's not a Vag or a Reno or somesuch where problems recur year after year and the mfr. doesn't care.

·
Registered
466 Posts
RenaultSport does care.

I bought one of the first RS250s when launched in the UK early 2010. Quickly I noticed that in poor lighting conditions (before the autoheadlights came on) the speedo was hard to read. Purely due to the design of the instrument.

This was confirmed by other users on an online forum and we contacted RenaultSport customer service with the matter. In short RenaultSport investigated and reported they were working on a fix. The fix was released and dealers able to carry out it. In short I had the instrument pinnacle replaced outright, free of charge under warranty.

My experience of RenaultSport customer service was positive.Edited by: Targ86

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I know at least with our cars, if the same fault happens 3 times in the warranty period then the customer can demand a brand new car to replace it. I don't know if that's just our policy (not Toyota), or a legal requirement.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.