GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought since this section is empty I would get the ball rolling. Starting with the Power and Torque curve for the FA20 engine in the GT86. The units are metric but some are wrong.

Torque is actually in NM. To conver to Lb.ft multiply by 0.74

Power can be converted to BHP but multiplying KW's by 1.34

Some people have been conplaining abotu the lack of Torque but better than 90% max torque from 2800 - 7200 rpm is quite impressive for a high revving NA engine.

When I had my test drive of the GT86 I could just about notice the dip in torque. Overall It felt like it pulled well at low revs.

·
Registered
619 Posts
ECUTek have already opened the ECU up and offering it to dealers as port of a chip package. Shouldnt be long before that curve is improved.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DavidGT86 said:
The dip in torque is strange. I wonder whether the factory can work on that with ECU mods?
I would suggest it the crossover point between the direct and port injectors.

At low revs both direct and port injectors work
At mid revs just direct injection
At high revs both direct and port injectors work

I woudl think they are only using the direct injectors at mid revs for fuel economy. So if an ecu tune fixs this, expect fuel economy to drop.

Would be great great to see 200WHP with a tune/exhust/intake, but unlikly to get +30HP from just that on an NA engine.

Edited by: GT86Owner

·
Registered
363 Posts
They have been saying this on the American forums. I would be surprised if it cannot be solved without a drop in fuel economy. ECU tuning is so advanced now.

Edited by: DavidGT86

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DavidGT86 said:
They have been saying this on the American forums. I would be surprised if it cannot be solved without a drop in fuel economy. ECU tuning is so advanced now.
This is true, but Toyota/Subaru also had some of their best engineers working on this car.... If they could remove it without detriment to soemthing else I suspect they would ahve done it...

Toyota/Subaru also had multi million £ budgets for designing these cars. They probably did soem testing with different tunes and for whatever reason they have set it like this. With their big budgets they could afford to set an engine running for weeks simulating track conditions and not worry about cost. When you take your car in for a tune, you have no way of knowing if in the long run it doing damage, whereas they will have tested every possiblity.

·
Registered
363 Posts
GT86Owner said:
DavidGT86 said:

Toyota/Subaru also had multi million £ budgets for designing these cars. They probably did soem testing with different tunes and for whatever reason they have set it like this. With their big budgets they could afford to set an engine running for weeks simulating track conditions and not worry about cost. When you take your car in for a tune, you have no way of knowing if in the long run it doing damage, whereas they will have tested every possiblity.

This is true to a large extent. However, car manufacturers tune their engines to the worst case scenario of fuel for the countries they sell their cars in, with very little variation in the markets they sell in.

·
Administrator
5,794 Posts
GT86Owner said:
I woudl think they are only using the direct injectors at mid revs for fuel economy. So if an ecu tune fixs this, expect fuel economy to drop.

Would be great great to see 200WHP with a tune/exhust/intake, but unlikly to get +30HP from just that on an NA engine.

I think you hit the nail on the head.... it must be to do with economy figures. After driving Hondas all my life, an N/A tune may not get you +30Hp but it's what happens mid graph that will make all the difference. If that torque curve is flattened and a bit extra is weeded out up the rev range then it will be come really noticable!

You may only gain a couple of Hp at the top, so still only around 200Hp, but you could make up to 10Hp etc lower down the rangewhich makes mid range grunt alot more effective
. In turn, you wouldn't have to stir the box so much to get the best as you could leave it in a lower gear rather than changing down....

·
Administrator
5,794 Posts
To add to my last post.... These guys have got a fantastic reputation with the Honda boys and would be one of the few people I trusted with my Type R. Seems they do ECU Tek tuning. Thought I'd pass it on:
http://www.euro-spec2000.co.uk/Tuning/Ecu-Tek/

Ideal for anyone in the lower end of the country as they are in Guildford. Really friendly and helpful bunch. Seems that the ECU tek can be done without interfering with the warranty too? Might be worth looking into!

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kodename47 said:
I think you hit the nail on the head.... it must be to do with economy figures. After driving Hondas all my life, an N/A tune may not get you +30Hp but it's what happens mid graph that will make all the difference. If that torque curve is flattened and a bit extra is weeded out up the rev range then it will be come really noticable!

You may only gain a couple of Hp at the top, so still only around 200Hp, but you could make up to 10Hp etc lower down the rangewhich makes mid range grunt alot more effective
. In turn, you wouldn't have to stir the box so much to get the best as you could leave it in a lower gear rather than changing down....
Perrin Performance in the US has managed +12HP with a Catback exhaust and Air intake. So an ECU tune with a bigger intake might add another 10HP. I woudl be happy with 220HP fro ma few mods.

·
Administrator
5,794 Posts
I believe it's very possible. What I was trying to get at that if you stay N/A, max Hp figures aren't just what matter, it's the improvement mid graph that will become more noticable. I'm actually interested on what could be achieved on a purely ECU tune as I don't want to physically mod the car.

What I did find interesting is I've had a look at a few tuners graphs of the FA20 and the dip still seems to be there. See these:

These are purely ECU re-tunes with no extra mods BTW

Edited by: Kodename47

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NICE!

Judging by the bottom diagram, it look like an 11% increase! so 220BHP is achieved! looks like we may get 200WHP after all.

I dont go on ft86 club very often these days. This forum is much busier with UK people.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kodename47 said:
What I did find interesting is I've had a look at a few tuners graphs of the FA20 and the dip still seems to be there.
Yeap, I think its likely to be a Direct/Port injectors trade off. Using port injection with direct injection you can get a boost in low rev torque, but then when you come to turn off the port injectors mid revs it cause a slight dip in torque. after all it only abotu 10%. I hardly noticed it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts