GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Depends how much louder you want it.

If you wanted to stay on the cautious side and do small incremental increases you could keep the stock backbox and just replace the 1st cat/header with a catless header. You can then pretty much remap out the torque dip.

Then if you wanted it louder still you could replace the 2nd cat with a sports cat.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Under no circumstances buy a Malian. Your neighbours will all want to stab you.
Something tells me this one should probably be avoided for the same reason:

Product Nickel Auto part Metal Composite material

I like the way they describe it as a "backbox" 🤣

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Invidia Q300 + R400
Perrin 2.5" resonated
Ark GRiP + DTS
Greddy Supreme
HKS Legamax Sports

These are all pretty tame but sound nice. I'd recommend listening to them on youtube to get a feel for volume levels and tone.

Its worth noting that if you intend to replace any other section of the exhaust then you will want the quietest catback you can buy (Q300) as it get louds very quickly.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Something tells me this one should probably be avoided for the same reason:

View attachment 7838

I like the way they describe it as a "backbox" 🤣

There is a Fiat 500 locally with something like that on it. It sounds bloody terrible.

Reactions: MR2

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’m a bit late to the thread but I’m running stock manifold into a HKS Legamax catback…
Drastic improvement on stock sound, slightly louder but not too much and on the cold start is not offensive to my neighbours! It fits beautifully and was a breeze to install. Very impressed with mine 👍

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have a Remus sport backbox (which I think was a dealer upgrade option for the BRZ originally). I ran it with an Ace manifold and it was great - it was a tad louder, but not obnoxiously so, and gave the car a deeper tone. It's the backbox only, so it will bolt up to the stock midpipe easily. Like you, I wanted a bit more volume, but not to annoy anyone.

I'm currently in the process of selling my car and returned it to stock, so I actually have this backbox available for sale now (was intending to put it up this weekend). Let me know if that might interest you.

Below is a video I took after fitting - bear in mind, when this video was taken, the car also had a catless Ace manifold, so with a stock setup, it would be a bit quieter than this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Remus sport backbox (which I think was a dealer upgrade option for the BRZ originally). I ran it with an Ace manifold and it was great - it was a tad louder, but not obnoxiously so, and gave the car a deeper tone. It's the backbox only, so it will bolt up to the stock midpipe easily. Like you, I wanted a bit more volume, but not to annoy anyone.

I'm currently in the process of selling my car and returned it to stock, so I actually have this backbox available for sale now (was intending to put it up this weekend). Let me know if that might interest you.

Below is a video I took after fitting - bear in mind, when this video was taken, the car also had a catless Ace manifold, so with a stock setup, it would be a bit quieter than this.

Sorry for delay in my reply. I’d already bought a new rear box ….. I’d have had yours …. Typical of my luck .
All your replies have been really helpful, thank you. I spent some time listening to various exhausts to the point my wife was going to stab me. I gambled on a Malian, mindful of your comment, it is relatively loud but not obtrusive, for me, I love it.
I bought it from my next door neighbour so it would be almost impossible for him to complain. I have serviced the car and fitted a KN filter, and noticed a measurable increase in the low end torque around 2000 rpm, I assume resulting from improved air/gas flow.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Under no circumstances buy a Malian. Your neighbours will all want to stab you.

I gambled on a Malian........
I bought it from my next door neighbour.....
Cunning.

Especially so should you happen to have only one neighbour 😃

Does your Neighbour also drive an 86????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts