GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

My name is Stuart and i'm from the Epping Forest area of Essex.

I've been running a 2001 Honda Accord Type R for about 4 years now and have been saving up loads of cash to eventually replace the old beast.

The cars that i'm mostly looking at are the FWD Honda Civic Type R Saloon (FD2) & of course the RWD Toyota GT86 Coupe. Two very different cars, i think you'll agree.

Hopefully i'll be looking to attend some meets in the Essex area in Sept/Oct. That is of course if i'm allowed. Lol.

I'm looking forward to seeing some GT86 tuning projects/threads on this forum, because i'm quite into the whole 'car modification/car improvement' scene. I have a few technical questions about the GT86's gear ratios and in-gear speeds, but i'll have a search around the forum first before asking.

By the way, if anyone has never heard of what a Honda Accord Type R is, then your not the first person to ask.

It's a fairly powerful 2.2 VTEC with LSD. Only made from 1998-2003. Mechanically similar to a Late-1990's Honda Prelude but with 4 doors and a slightly higher revving H22 lump. More info here :

http://thrll.com/car/2001-honda-accord-12389

Hopefully i'll see some of you around. Thanks for reading.

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Welcome mate! Another Type R owner over here ay!? I've just sold on my EK9 to get an 86. The FD and 86 will be very different
. After 6 years of JDM Type R ownership I quite liked not beingshaken like a maracca in the 86 as the ride is much nicer. The FD would be worse that the EK in that respect as standard they are very hard! A very capable car though and I still love them..... fair bit of road presence too. I've been a Honda head since I started owning cars and I shunned the idea of a FD2 or S2k for one of these but it's down to personal preference. I felt that even with the softer ride it still handled as well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind welcome.

I dismissed the idea of an S2000 about 6 months ago. The gearing is a little too long for my liking (115mph in 3rd & a really long 4-5-6
). I've also known quite a few EK9/DC2 owners that have bought an S2000 and have felt underwhelmed by the driving experience...

The FD2 is apparently overdamped (for road use) at the rear & notorious for having a harsh/fidgety ride at the back end, but quite a few owners fit aftermarket dampers to correct this design fault. It does have short gearing though, which gets a big thumbs-up from me.

My first impressions of the GT86 are very good. It has huge potential, in my humble onion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jimgreen83 said:
Welcome, another one from Essex, we should have good numbers for an Essex meet. I too was into the modifying scene (mx5's though) but I have promised not to spend on modifying this one!
i said that about my last car, but ended up spending thousands

I always say that i'm getting too old for modifications, but it's very hard to resist buying things that improve the car.... Edited by: 2157R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.