GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Administrator
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the suggested running in procedure? I guess it's in the manual?
Has anyone got their own recommended ideas on what to do to get the engine decently run in for longevity?

I haven't seen a manual yet but I'm probably going to do a filter and oil change after 100 or so miles on my own. Does this sound a good idea? Then I'll stick to Toyota's service intervals.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
I'd say the usual. Just drive it normally. No labouring and all that.

I reckon full revs by 500miles, though some say thrash it from the start to seal the rings.

Modern engines don't need runnning in as such.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
I think you'd be pouring money down the drain if you changed your oil after 100 miles. Tolerances and all that have considerably improved since the good old days. In all honesty I'd just follow the service schedule.

·
Registered
619 Posts
you need to keep revs below 4k for the first 1000 miles. it wont be easy but after 600 you can start giving it some.

·
Registered
123 Posts
R32 GTR said:
you need to keep revs below 4k for the first 1000 miles. it wont be easy but after 600 you can start giving it some.

Yeah I would agree with this fully

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Read the handbook today whilst sitting in a GT86. Running in is as follows: No going over 4000rpm for first 1000 miles and have to use varied driving rather than driving for a 1000 niles at one speed. Going to take me ages to do a 1000 miles, do 5 per day normally.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
en8wall said:
Read the handbook today whilst sitting in a GT86.  Running in is as follows: No going over 4000rpm for first 1000 miles and have to use varied driving rather than driving for a 1000 niles at one speed.  Going to take me ages to do a 1000 miles, do 5 per day normally. 

Get in it, set the SatNav for Aberdeen avoiding Motorways, drive for 20 hours, enjoy !!

Alec

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does make you wonder what sort of test drive experience you would get if you were in a new demo....did they keep you guys sub 4000?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
My test drive car had 250 miles the first time and about 400 (500 after I finished)miles on the second time. I red lined it many times, many many times
and I took it past 100mph

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hammered the poor car to redline a few times.
Also slammed on the brakes when i didnt see a speed bump - all at 20 miles old.

No wonder ex demo cars are cheap.

I plan to take a very long journey to the coast and back to put a few miles on it the day I pick it up. It gunna be difficult to keep to the manual if you need to overtake a tractor or slow moving vehicle or something. I presume its just a warning so you dont go overboard.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
LuckyP said:
Does make you wonder what sort of test drive experience you would get if you were in a new demo....did they keep you guys sub 4000?
Nope, the sales guy didn't mention it, gave it a fair amount of throttle well over 4000rpm, didn't say a word.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No fair enough. And just imagine if they had said "If you wouldn't mind keeping to 4000 rpm please Sir/Madam, we are running her in"!!!!!

Good excuse for a sales exec to take it home for a few nights that!!!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I hit rev limiter in 1 st to 4 gears on all test drives ....not my car so did not matter
Dealers were quite happy for me to give it some ...as we say

·
Registered
278 Posts
GT86Owner said:
My test drive car had 250 miles the first time and about 400 (500 after I finished)miles on the second time. I red lined it many times, many many times
and I took it past 100mph
You took it past 100mph. Didn't the dealer give you a test drive on the road, rather than on a track only?

·
Registered
363 Posts
The run in process is all about heat-cycling. The metal parts all expand/contract at different temperatures/loads and effectively mate together over a period of time.

This is why you don't want to put the engine under too much load (eg flooring it from low revs/revving to limiter) in the first 500 miles. It is also important to vary the revs up to about 4000/4500rpm - no higher initially.

Sitting on a motorway for a 400 mile trip is not perfect. Part of heat cycling involves the engine cooling in between runs Regular commute trips are ideal - ie 50 miles each way with the engine completely cooled when it is switched off, then brought up to temperature with varied revs.

This is what I was taught by an engineer and it has never let me down. What everyone does is of course entirely up to them.

G

·
Hmmm. My daily 'commute' is only 10 miles each way.I may have to get up a little earlier and take a more circuitous route for a few weeks.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts