GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member 1st post. Bought a Toyota GT86 TRD in black. 40,000 miles on a 2013 plate. I have to say I have purchased my dream car. Even after 2 days of ownership I'm already in love with my car :love:

I never even drove one until the test drive. I also have a BMW Z4 3.0si. I think the Z4 is too fast and I've thought this for a while, but still kept it for those sunny days. I used to have a Honda S2000 which I loved because it was a 10/10th's car. The Z4 is just a bit too fast imo, like a 7/10th's car. The S2000 was borderline. A compromise between madness and safety :LOL:

The GT86 is perfect for me. I have ptsd and find that I can enjoy the '86 far more than the S2K and Z4. Still very enjoyable speed to drive. I love spending longer in each gear before I change. I don't even mind the torque dip. This car is exactly what I wanted. Now I can enjoy driving at 10/10th's again, but for even longer.

Got a leaking sump, so got her in the main dealer to give her a full check over and fix the problem. It's getting resealed. She's in until Monday afternoon, so thought now I'm not driving her it's finally time to join here.

Picked up a factory TRD for £14,000. Only £40,000 miles.

Looking for a TRD number plate next.

·
Registered
Red 20 plate GT86. Grey 06 S2000.
19 Posts
New member 1st post. Bought a Toyota GT86 TRD in black. 40,000 miles on a 2013 plate. I have to say I have purchased my dream car. Even after 2 days of ownership I'm already in love with my car :love:

I never even drove one until the test drive. I also have a BMW Z4 3.0si. I think the Z4 is too fast and I've thought this for a while, but still kept it for those sunny days. I used to have a Honda S2000 which I loved because it was a 10/10th's car. The Z4 is just a bit too fast imo, like a 7/10th's car. The S2000 was borderline. A compromise between madness and safety :LOL:

The GT86 is perfect for me. I have ptsd and find that I can enjoy the '86 far more than the S2K and Z4. Still very enjoyable speed to drive. I love spending longer in each gear before I change. I don't even mind the torque dip. This car is exactly what I wanted. Now I can enjoy driving at 10/10th's again, but for even longer.

Got a leaking sump, so got her in the main dealer to give her a full check over and fix the problem. It's getting resealed. She's in until Monday afternoon, so thought now I'm not driving her it's finally time to join here.

Picked up a factory TRD for £14,000. Only £40,000 miles.

Looking for a TRD number plate next.
Got to be honest, I do like the look of the TRD. Was tempted by a white one myself but fancied a newer car so went for a Pro instead. Might be tempted by switching the rear valance and exhaust one day though....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome DC86, don't think I've even ever seen a TRD, but then none of these cars are exactly common. 😃

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hello and welcome :)

It's cool you've got your dream car and that you've realised speed isn't everything! It's hard to convey how much fun the twins are though the Internet but for the lucky few who get it... They are awesome!

Having worked on BMW's before, I apriciate how easy it is to work on the twins 😂 Subaru are very good at making their cars easy to work on, where as BMW seem to take a sadistic pleasure in awkward component and fastener placement 🙃

Would be cool to see some photos of your car once it's back from the dealers.

Welcome DC86, don't think I've even ever seen a TRD, but then none of these cars are exactly common. 😃
Your quite right, are they pretty rare! I think around 200 were sold in the UK?

One of our members converted his car in to a TRD, with a few extra modifications. It's a pretty cool thread, even if a few of the image links are now broken.

(Goes and checks numbers) 🙃
Looks like it was closer to 150.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got to be honest, I do like the look of the TRD. Was tempted by a white one myself but fancied a newer car so went for a Pro instead. Might be tempted by switching the rear valance and exhaust one day though....
I was tempted by a newer car too, but this particular TRD car came up and I just fell for her. Love at 1st sight :love:

I didn't think £14,000 was too bad as it was 25% more expensive than the standard model. I has been lowered by previous owner, but looks really good. I will add photo's as soon as possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you MR2. I have never seen one either until I bought it.

There is a wealth of info here at this forum and even though I have just joined I would like to thanks the forum for educating me on the '86.

It's had the valve spring recall done which I found about here. Plus I was able to check it was a factory TRD because of the red TRD thread.

The members here and the wealth of info shared here made it very easy for me to buy my car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello and welcome :)

It's cool you've got your dream car and that you've realised speed isn't everything! It's hard to convey how much fun the twins are though the Internet but for the lucky few who get it... They are awesome!

Having worked on BMW's before, I apriciate how easy it is to work on the twins 😂 Subaru are very good at making their cars easy to work on, where as BMW seem to take a sadistic pleasure in awkward component and fastener placement 🙃

Would be cool to see some photos of your car once it's back from the dealers.

Your quite right, are they pretty rare! I think around 200 were sold in the UK?

One of our members converted his car in to a TRD, with a few extra modifications. It's a pretty cool thread, even if a few of the image links are now broken.

(Goes and checks numbers) 🙃
Looks like it was closer to 150.
I will take a look at that thread. I like reading anything about cars. I'm not a man that modifies cars though. My S2000 was stock, so is my current Z4. The last owner has made my car look great, but I won't be modifying my car any further than it already has been.

I look forward to posting photo's and sharing her beauty 😎

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so had a leaking sump that has been resealed at the toyota main dealer. They said oil was everywhere. I have just got my car back and driven it for 20 minutes then home. Slight smoke coming from the same place still, same burnt oil smell I think. Am I right in guessing it may take some time to burn off anything that couldn't be cleaned 100%? Maybe a week and it will be ok? Hope somebody can help please?

·
Registered
Red 20 plate GT86. Grey 06 S2000.
19 Posts
Ok so had a leaking sump that has been resealed at the toyota main dealer. They said oil was everywhere. I have just got my car back and driven it for 20 minutes then home. Slight smoke coming from the same place still, same burnt oil smell I think. Am I right in guessing it may take some time to burn off anything that couldn't be cleaned 100%? Maybe a week and it will be ok? Hope somebody can help please?
Hi,

If there was a significant leak and oil had got onto the engine, manifolds, exhaust etc. then it might well take a little while to burn off, but I wouldn't expect it to take a week. Once it's vapourised, it's vapourised and the 'smoke' should dissipate. The smell might remain a bit longer, but if it was done at a main dealer, it should be fine.

·
Registered
756 Posts
If they didn't clean all the oil off it might still have residue of oil left all over as mullinsm suggests
One of the problems with an oil leak is actually finding it, it can cover half the lower engine bay if left long enough and turn out to be from some place unexpected. It could be the cam plate, its out of sight but drips oil onto the exhaust, the mess will possibly be more obvious on the offside underneath if that's the case, but it is common.

See more information here, I guess the dealer check this but fyi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

If there was a significant leak and oil had got onto the engine, manifolds, exhaust etc. then it might well take a little while to burn off, but I wouldn't expect it to take a week. Once it's vapourised, it's vapourised and the 'smoke' should dissipate. The smell might remain a bit longer, but if it was done at a main dealer, it should be fine.
Thank you for your advice. Excellent advice. I will leave it a week. Would it burn off faster with the car parked, but with the engine running. Just thinking it may be affected by the wind if driving? Sorry I'm a bit slow sometimes...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If they didn't clean all the oil off it might still have residue of oil left all over as mullinsm suggests
One of the problems with an oil leak is actually finding it, it can cover half the lower engine bay if left long enough and turn out to be from some place unexpected. It could be the cam plate, its out of sight but drips oil onto the exhaust, the mess will possibly be more obvious on the offside underneath if that's the case, but it is common.

See more information here, I guess the dealer check this but fyi

I hope they main dealer got the right part. I really do. But they said oil was leaking from a sump that needed resealing. They were so sure and I told them I just pumped my entire life savings into buying my dream car, so I want them to go over the whole car, test drive her etc, whatever they have to make it right. The guy sounded certain he had sorted it. I'm going to drive her today and check. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love the exhausts. The sound of this car is great and so long in every gear to listen to it

I have driven the Z4 a bit too since having this. Had some nice weather. The power difference is a lot, but the Z4 now seems way too fast, not just too fast like it did before I got the '86. Both great cars, but I just smile far more and enjoy the drive in the '86. The Z4 on a sunny day has it's place though. It's nice to leave the cover on the Z4 when it's raining and still have a great hardtop car to get into.

Bit disappointed with the sound system in the '86. The speakers distort. In the Z4 it has the upgraded Bose sound pack, so is amazing.

Really glad I bought it though. I did like the aero model too, but glad I went with the trd. Spoiler is a bit more subtle in the trd.

In truth, I shouldn't really talk about this car like it's mine... It's really my 9 year old boys car. Even when I go out I ask him if I can borrow it :LOL:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts