GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The TRD door stabilizer fills the gap in the door striker area using a spacer. This provides quicker steering response by cutting down the delay from when the steering wheel is turned.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The idea being that you get an increase in torsional rigidity because the door aperture is stabilised - similar to 'welding the doors shut' but less hassle getting into and out of the car (and less effective)...

I'm dubious as to whether these things make any kind of difference at all but who knows, they must have been designed for a reason........

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Load of rubbish.. the door has four sides, and a hinge with play in it!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Kodename47 said:
You may notice a difference if you had every percievable brace and bar fitted. But for every day road use, I'd be suprised if any difference was noticed.

Marketing in it's best form.... people will part good cash for parts that can be made for almost nothing in the promise that you'll gain from it

Very true and deffo not the reason I've bought the TRD carbon brace
It's purely as a bit of eye candy under the hood. If it works with the diagonal rods to stiffen the front then that's a bonus.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Can't help thinking that if such a minor mod made a significant improvement then Toyota would fit it (or something similar) as standard . . . after all it would simply replace a part they're already having to manufacture and fit - can't image that the raw material and manufacturing costs would be significantly different.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We can increase the rigidity of the chassis but how stiff is stiff? What knock on effect would it have due to the increase in local stiffness to other part of the chassis.... With new vehicle design these days factor of safety would be much lower compare to vehicles 20 years ago.. Due to the amount of FEA and computational calculations that has been done probably even before they ever made a prototype part. I am not saying the mods mention is not effective but I would take a very careful approach and choose rather carefully.

tonyplym.... you would be surprised the slight increase in per part cost = a lot of money for the mass produced cars. My colleague told me, when he was working in a big car manufacturer, as a supplier if you say you want to carry out a cost saving exercise or 50p per part, they would give you a vehicle for nothing.... and I am not talking about a 12k car... a 30k mass produced car. Again that is nothing to the big manufacturer because that 30k could cost can save them millions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have my TRD door stabilizers fitted. Nice finishing yet just noticeble with open doors. No special fitting problems just the earlier descriptions of some difficulty with unscrewing the stock ones.First driving impressions: Better handling while driving on winding roads. Some more fitness on the steering wheel. Surprisingly one aerodinamic noise while driving on highway at about 150Km/h has disappeared. If it´s a placebo effect it´s a very good one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts