GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the GT86 will be my first brand new car, I remember my parents having to do so many miles in a new car below a certain number of revs/slower speed. I asked the Toyota Dealer about this and they advised that there's no need to 'run in' a new car these days... in fact, they indicated that those that hadn't been driven slower at the start were often 'looser' later. So, what's the feeling here..?

Does a GT86 need a run in or is it better to just go for it..?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yep theres already been a thread on it. No more than 4000 rpm for the first 100 and must be varied miles not all motorway

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, yep, read other thread. Should be okay as my daily commute is around 40 miles each way so it'll get a varied drive and will cool inbetween. Keeping under 4000 RPM for first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Who did you deal with at the Lincoln dealer Angel? same place as I go to
Might be picking em up on the same day, would be pretty cool, a 2 car GT86 convoy! haha

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damian1985 said:
Who did you deal with at the Lincoln dealer Angel? same place as I go to
Might be picking em up on the same day, would be pretty cool, a 2 car GT86 convoy! haha
Hey there Damian, wouldn't that be something to both get them on the same day! I dealt with Charles, nice guy and got on well. Have found them all very pleasant there and cetainly recommend them to anyone nearby.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also deal with Charles, can't both pick em up ay same time then, haha same salesman. Where abouts in the shire are you? I'm about 10 miles east of Lincoln at Wragby.Edited by: Damian1985

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm over Skeg Vegas way, I usually go through Wragby a couple of times a week. Charles must be having a good month, last I heard is that Lincoln have sold 8 of their allocated 10 cars for this year... Glad I got my order in when I did.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been reading into this and basically there is no need to run in a new engine as it's already been red lined in every gear before you even get it. Test's have shown that engines that have been "run in" generally develop less power than those that have been driven hard.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Full justification to "welly" any demonstrator we can get our hands on, knowing we're actually doing the future ex-demo owner a favour!

·
Registered
26 Posts
i love all these people saying they need to be run in, there was about 40 of these at donnington for the launch and they were driven HARD from 0miles to the end of the week and the were mostly on 500-800miles and they`re still going strong.

our demo was run in for all of about 3miles to the petrol station and ive now done 2,000miles in it and its A*.

end of the day they have a 5yr warranty so i seriouslywouldn'tworry about it :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
They are revved at the factory to seal the rings. Once that is done it would be good practice to run them in gently. As for the demo/track cars... There is no guarentee these will be long life models and someone else will inherit their problems.

Even reliable cars have failures and maybe the demos will account for a high proportion of these. I have thrashed new car engines and broken them in gently and the gentle break in has always resulted in a better engine over the years, but that's just my own experience..

·
Registered
377 Posts
if you stay below 4000rpm you wont feel the power band for a 1000 miles haha

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
I think it will be ok to red line every so often when running in just not all the time. Drive it normally, as in how you would drive a prius normal not a GT86 normally ;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GT86Owner said:
Drive it normally, as in how you would drive a prius normal not a GT86 normally ;)
What so drive around cursing at yourself for buying a Prius instead of a *real* car like a GT86..?

·
Registered
877 Posts
The manual states not to exceed 4000 RPM for the first 1000 miles unless in an emergency, I'm going by the book for piece of mind.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The way it was presented to me is that it is recommended to stay below 4,000 rpm for the first 1,000 miles, and not use full throttle of labour the engine. However, it was also pointed out that occasionally going above 4k every now and then wouldn't hurt as long as you didn't smack into the redline...

IMO while it may not be absolutely necessary to 'run-in' an modern engine in the same way as an 'classic' engine I don't think I'd be comfortable driving off the dealership and wanging it to 7k on the way home...!!

at the end of the day, it is your car and you have been presented with a lot of options, go with what you're comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts