GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A DIY on fitting a replica wing, such as sold on AliExpress. Shipping to the UK was pleasantly rapid and no damage - it was all bubble-wrapped in the box. Initial impression was quite good - no major flaws in the carbon wrap or mouldings. No instructions of course.

It hardly needs saying that the pictures used by the vendors show the genuine item fitted on the cars. The real-thing fits more on the top of of the boot-lid, while the replicas all slightly curve over the rear edge. Also, as expected, the mounting points in the side pieces don't match the holes in the OEM boot-lid - I'll cover how I addressed that.

My policy was to allow returning to OEM so that meant no drilling of holes in the boot or filling in the holes where the OEM spoiler clips in. I'd previously fitted a replica TRD spoiler so had previously pulled the OEM wing off and figured out how to unclip and unscrew.

If you've seen pictures of my car, you'll know it has vinyl stripes and I planned to extend that wrap to cover the OEM holes. After removing the TRD spoiler, I realised that vibration had caused tiny chips in the boot-lid paint at the edges. This was despite being mounted on 3M tape, seems that there was enough movement to chip down the metal in a few areas. That damage forced my hand in design of the vinyl wrap as we'll see.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I tested fitted the supplied bolts and it was clear that resin had partially blocked the threads of the moulded-in captive nuts. Rather that try and force these, I used a combined drill and tap to clear the threads. You could probably run a 4mm drill through and use an M6 bolt to clear the resin but this makes sure.

Painting the end-pieces in body colour was quite simple - I use the aerosol repair kit from paint4u which has primer, case and clear. In my experience, they do a very good match for Toyota code, at least for 61K. Usual process of wet-sanding, prime, two coats of base and coat of clear. The opening in the side for the end pieces means you can hold the piece. NB don't spray the underside as you want the 3M tape to get a good grip.

Reasonable finish with no trash.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Test fitting after assembly using short pieces of 3M tape to hold. This was most fiddly job to get on centre and positioned with closest fit to curve of boot lid. As with all 3rd party pieces don't expect accuracy of fit like OEM/TRD items. Overall, fit was not too bad but there's 5mm projection from the boot lid on both sides. The painted pieces and the carbon wing are all slippery af, so ideally have a 2nd person to hold while you mess with the fitting.

Once located as well as I could achieve, 2mm holes were drilled in the side pieces via the existing 4 holes in the boot lid. These were nowhere close to the 3 mounting points pre-drilled in the side pieces. IMHO sheer laziness by the replica makers who could place their mounting points to align to OEM holes which would greatly simplify fitting! 😡

At this point the end pieces are just attached by 3M tape to get an impression. The vendor supplied some crappy self-tapers for these! See later for how I addressed this.

Note the existing vinyl wrap on the boot lid, this will be replaced and extended to cover the OEM holes along the back edge.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Re-doing the vinyl wrap to extend and widen to cover OEM holes at rear of boot lid. The requirement to cover over the area of paint damaged by the TRD spoiler required a less than ideal, wide design, plus my wrapping skills on complex curves and experience with knifeless tape set a limit on how fancy I could get.

Note that the vinyl doesn't extend under the side pieces so that the 3M tape would be stuck to paint, not vinyl. You can see the outline of the OEM holes at this stage - a touch of heat taughtened the vinyl and you need to know what to look for now. Small TRD sticker because racing.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
By this point I'd drilled out the pilot holes in the side pieces and fitted a pair of M6 aluminium Rivnuts into each. I went with aluminium to avoid rust and also reduce risk of crushing the plastic. Obviously it hugely helps to have the proper setting tool rather than bodging.

Fitting for real, 3M tape placed with pull-outs ready once final placement was done. I attached both side pieces leaving bolts loose then attached cross wing. I placed a bead of building adhesive on the ends of the wing to help seal the gap and add some strength. Once every thing was bolted loosely together, I pulled the 3M tape tabs and stuck it down, doing up the nuts. Then it was a case of progressively tightening the bolts on the wing and then pulling the 3M tape tabs on other side and locking into place. At this point I left for the 3M tape to fully bond.

I use large OD M6 penny washers as the OEM holes are quite large and wanted to spread the load over the largest surface. Note the side pieces extend over edge of boot lid; given the width of wing, I couldn't find any position where the edges aligned. Note remnants of sticky tape on bolt head to minimise risk of falling into void in boot-lit when placing.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Last lap...after the 3M tape set, all the bolts were undone, treated with Loctite Red 271 and redone. As mentioned, some crappy self-tapers were supplied for the end pieces. These were drilled to take M6 button heads and the side pieces drilled to allow them to tighten OKish even though not self-tapers. Touch of building adhesive was added to fully secure.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Impression of effect from extending vinyl with wing attached. Note no 'space pod' brake-light, replacement with high-level was a mod I did years ago. The grey line of 3M tape can be seen under the end-piece. I'm OK with this, the fit to the curve of the boot-lid with bolts tightened down is acceptable IMHO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This looks bloody amazing! Good job mate. I ordered the same wing from AliExpress a couple weeks ago and will be installing it myself- it’s good to see I haven’t wasted my money!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts