GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Been trying to get to the bottom of the differences between the basic head unit and the Nav version. Brochure IIRC mentions the Nav one also has 'advanced bluetooth'. Not sure what this means though.

Dealer told me the two head units are the same, but a GPS antenna/module are added and new software. Sounds a bit steep for £750 (but great for Toyota!).

Also interested to learn if the/either unit has any kind of audio line-out?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'm not sure what the "advanced bluetooth" is, either way I don't think it's voice command.

As for the headunit and Nav, what you've said is what I am lead to believe too, tho this can't be retro fitted as the GPS receivers are fixed to the car when built I believe (and its a couple of receivers so the NAV knows which way your facing I think). But your paying forconvenience of anintegratedsystem. I personally haven't bothered with it as I have a massive phone with sat nav anyways and since I don't think it adds much else to the head unit.

As for line out....no idea, sorry.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
best of all if you get lost you get longer to drive the car...now that's gotta be worth £750??

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lordgrover said:
I've assumed BT is to connect mobile for hands free operation

I believe both head units offer this.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
they do connect to i phone 4 as well as saleman showed me this in demp car

·
Registered
137 Posts
As previously stated the head units are the same. The sat nav option is basically a software install. The head connects either thru bluetooth or usb to your phone/mp3 player. It allows the head to read ur contacts etc from the phone. Once you have ur chassis number you can register with toyota and get access to additional features. For example you can create a route on your home pc,save it to a usb pen,plug this into ur unit and load the route. There are other things it can access using ur phone internet connection, eg weather, traffic and hopefully the closest KFC lol.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
and best of all nearest petrol station..

G

·
From the website:

Touch & Go:
Satellite Navigation
Featuring full map navigation, live traffic information, fixed safety camera warnings and a point of interest search.

Google send to car
Location searches via the internet can be conducted in the comfort of your own home and sent directly to your car ready for you to start your journey

Online Local Search
Touch & Go can connect to the internet via your phone to help you search for your destination. Hotels, restaurants or any location can be quickly and easily found using this function.

Standard:
Toyota Touch Audio System (including Bluetooth, USB and iPod Connectivity)

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
But remember that the Live Camera updates and Traffic only work if you pair with your phone then a subscription will apply as well so not just cost of Nav unit but also a yearly cost as well

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Celica66 said:
But remember that the Live Camera updates and Traffic only work if you pair with your phone then a subscription will apply as well so not just cost of Nav unit but also a yearly cost as well
Are you sure about that? My Accord has traffic info which it picks up from the old Traffic Master system and no subscription is required.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
For speed camer's you will need a subscription i am quite sure but will check with Dealer

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason i'm curious about this is because I use my phone today for sat nav, apps, that kind of stuff, so do not need to pay extra to have that integrated in the car (which would be limiting compared to a fully-functional phone). If there were other benefits beyond nav/some_apps then i'd like to take those into consideration.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Celica66 said:
For speed camer's you will need a subscription i am quite sure but will check with Dealer

When I was out on the test drive, the sat nav beeped for speed camera warnings, so I think you get that with the nav.

I admit, I'm not sure it's worth the £750, after all I've got all the stuff I need on my iPhone. All this business about planning a route and saving it to a USB stick to then put into the car is just irrelevant when I can put a sat nav address in my phone and just take that to the car and put the phone sat nav on.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Camera is static only and will not include mobile cameras

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just to clarify,The £750 Sat Nav option isn't a software upgrade it is a hardware upgrade in the form of a box of electronics about the size of a *** packet that goes behind the Stereo unit which then gives the unit it's Sat Nav capability & "advanced bluetooth" which gives you the option to use your smartphone as a tethering device (basically your phone becomes a modem) to dial out to get info for Google search so you can search for restaurants etc etc & it will supply phone numbers of pretty much anything you care to search for.
As a previous member correctly stated you also get "fixed" speed camera positions but there is not separate subscription involved as this is included within the Sat Nav license,there will be approx 2 Nav updates per 12 month period which will be carried out by your local dealer (at a cost of course) Hope this posting helps!,

·
Registered
39 Posts
P.P.S. Sat Nav upgrade is £750 when ordering your GT but it can be fitted at dealership at a later date if you decide that you want it a few weeks/months down the line,Add approx 20% to the cost though as you got to take into account labour.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts