GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tempted by a demo GT-86 that a dealer close to me has, it has everything I'm looking for (OK, I *really* wanted red and this one is grey) but it's done over 3000 miles. Is there anything 'bad' about that (considering it's over £4k off list) ??

G

·
It's been discussed several times whether the saving is worth the potential risk. An ex demo has likely been ragged from mile one. This may or may not have a detrimental effect - who knows. Whether it does or not is a moot point as five year warranty is a five year warranty, no?

Only you can decide what's right for you, but I'm not too concerned about saving a few bob over the 3-5 years I'll be keeping the car.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
If you don't intend to keep it beyond the warranty period, then knock yourself out.

Long term reliability may be compromised as demo cars are rarely run-in as per the manufacturers guidelines.

·
Registered
283 Posts
PPS- Has the dealer (with the demonstrator)said that it will be reprogrammed re. ECU and CEL issues before you would have it.....?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Maybe it is time for an ' I ragged this demo' sticky.

I'm sure any used 86 will have seen some revs

·
Registered
466 Posts
Does every manufacturer's demos break down after a few years or are they generally reliable? I might have missed that BBC Watchdog article on the subject.

Or is it just Toyota GT86 demos that will fail after a short time.....

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying this. Just that we know the demos will have been thrashed from the word go. So not run in as recommended by Toyota. The importance of running in has been discussed in detail in many other threads on here.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Like I stole it. You're not gonna explore the handling unless you get up on it.<div id="LCS_336D0C35_8A85_403a_B9D2_65C292C39087_communicationDiv">

Well, not in the 86's case; it was a slushbox & a damp road.

It's probably not enough off, for me, personally. You can get a new BRZ from Broadspeed's for that, if you are prepared to wait.

But if you don't plan on keeping it forever, it's probably a good chunk of the fifteen large it could lose in three years.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That is a good price and you will definitely get more off if this is the advertised price. The dealer cars are not selling so bargain hard.

As for it might have been ragged ignore the naysayers. I bought my current car with 3000 miles on as it was 3 months old and had 12,000 quid knocked off. You would be mad not to take advantage.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I texted them first :

Me:I'm interested in the demo GT86 you have for sale. Has it been sympathetically run-in or was it run like it was stolen? Any stone chips or wheel damage?

Dealer: The car is a company demonstration vehicle and any demo has been carried out supervised by ourselves and not been thrashed like you think it had done only 3800 miles and the car is valeted ever couple of days blah blah <snip> [SIC]

Of course I'd be foolish to think it had been driven like a granny, but as I doubt I'll be keeping the car longer than the warranty, what could go wrong?

Don't forget I'm getting them to change the oil & filter and fit a set of flaps (I love that word!) - might have to see if they can throw some servicing in too . . .

·
Registered
571 Posts
Response
Dealer: The car is a company demonstration vehicle and any demo has been carried out supervised by ourselves and not been thrashed like you think it had done only 3800 miles and the car is valeted ever couple of days

Translated
Dealer: We have all had a go on the GT86 and group rode it like the village...
Once we finished thrashing it within an inch of its life me and the other lads from the stealership formed a circled round the GT86 and ... all over it. This is just fiction. we are nothing like the guys who did the joy ride on Ferris Buellers day off.Edited by: a18ttc

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.