GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else being told deliveries are delayed until October?

I ordered in July, and was supposed to pick up early September, but now the dealership are saying it has slipped to late October, with no real explanation. I haven't ordered anything out of the ordinary, just black leather.

Anyone else hearing this kind of thing?

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Not me. I got an email a couple of days ago confirming mine is still on target to be with the dealer on the 25th of this month.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I dont understand how this works. When I told the dealer I didn't want the incorrectly specced car I was picking up this Saturday he immediately reserved another for the 18th. Less than 2 weeks away....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
malcolmgt86 said:
I dont understand how this works. When I told the dealer I didn't want the incorrectly specced car I was picking up this Saturday he immediately reserved another for the 18th. Less than 2 weeks away....
I suppose this is my point also. I'm not sure how this system works. it's clearly not a queue. I notice people in the forum have ordered last month and already picked up.

It's not the end of the world, but if it doesn't turn up soon then it will cause me issues as I have already sold my car...

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
malcolmgt86 said:

That comes down to what dealers have what allocations and which can be moved around. I think you were just lucky to be honest.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It probably also comes down to specifications. I do remember him saying colour and transmission were a big factor, and the auto is a less popular choice by far!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think it could be dealer specific. My dealer only had allocation for 9 GT86's this year and by the time they had my order I think they were up to 7. Perhaps, as their allocation has been sold, your dealer have to wait a little bit longer to get cars over and above their original allocation by Toyota?

·
Registered
245 Posts
When I ordered mine, I was told the red alcantara would slow things down and we looked at the ordering system which gave me a choice of 3 colours for beginning of september delivery...mine slipped from monday to today but it was a condition of ordering that i get it at the start of september (tax ran out on the M3 on 30th August)...

Still Jemca have loaned me a beast of a car for the interim - a Yaris CVT!

(I'm not complaining, proactive notification of delay with the offer of a loan was definitely appreciated!)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not being in touch with the dealer but the way mines been going I wouldnt be surprised it just keeps creeping back, I ordered grey mt with leather, and looking at the order section there aren't many greys been collected yet.

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Ces17 said:
Not being in touch with the dealer but the way mines been going I wouldnt be surprised it just keeps creeping back, I ordered grey mt with leather, and looking at the order section there aren't many greys been collected yet.

Mine's been at the dealer for a week and I get mine later! But mine is cloth so no seat swapping needed. Grey isn't a popular colour choice though.

1,998, if it's a problem, ask them about a courtesy car and say that you sold your car on the basis of the original delivery date. Then at least you have a car until it turns up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My order has also been delayed to an as yet unspecified date in October. Under duress the salesperson threw out a claim of a 'manufacturing problem' but was unable to clarify further.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Extremely plausable speculation thoughand it'd fit that they'd try to limit the flow of damaging information regarding any issues the cars may have by keeping things as quiet as possible.
As much as I'd like to blame the dealership for any delays feeding into my impatience and eagerness perhaps for once they can't be held to account.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
You can't just slow down an assembly line. I highly doubt this is the case. Every action on the line is to-the-second on timing.

·
Registered
626 Posts
They wouldn't slow the line, they'd just stockpile the cars after them being made perhaps with the part missed off, or marked for replacement when they arrive, then do a bit swap over.

This often happens in the delivery ports, if there's a recall they'll stop deliveries to dealers and change them as they come off the boat. On cars that had parrott hands free kits fitted for example, as part of the spec, this was done in the port not in the factory :)

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Rarerims said:
They wouldn't slow the line, they'd just stockpile the cars after them being made perhaps with the part missed off, or marked for replacement when they arrive, then do a bit swap over.

This often happens in the delivery ports, if there's a recall they'll stop deliveries to dealers and change them as they come off the boat. On cars that had parrott hands free kits fitted for example, as part of the spec, this was done in the port not in the factory :)
Not really complying to the Toyota production system by stockpiling cars...

·
Registered
626 Posts
They're being built by Subaru aren't they?

I would expect them to stockpile them at local ports etc for cars aleady made, and make the changes if that is what is happening at the port of the destination country.

The ones currently in build would have improved parts right away I would think?

Edited by: Rarerims

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.