GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiTook delivery of my new manual GT86 yesterday and within half an hour noticed a clunking noise from clutch pedal so returned to dealer who diagnosed a defective electronic clutch switch which also caused the hazard warning lights to flash (due to the clutchbeing linked to the security locking system) Toyota has advised switch replacement and I am due to pick up the car on Thursday. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mine does this too, it's common by the sounds of things, when I took mine back to the dealer about this I tested the other 86's they had and both did it, it doesn't bother me to be honest.

·
Registered
482 Posts
lukester said:
My switch is getting louder (~800 miles), was going to have a poke at the weekend. Big clunk when coming off the brake pedal too but maybe I just can't drive for toffee...

And others... http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/clutch-pedal-clonk_topic717_post8753.html
i noticed this today when coming off brake quick.. big clunk.. ... plus had two noticably crappy starts but i put it down to me too eager with button or clutch i'll keep an eye on it

edit to add only 300 miles
will

Edited by: yahtzee

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for your replies. I can live with some noise - it just worries me that my dealer said that the warning lights were flashing when the clutch was being depressed because it is linked to the door locking security system. They wouldn't let me take the car away for safety reasons until Toyota head office had been notified.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
GT86 said:
Not sure, not a click more a hollow sound but doesn't bother me.
This is how mine sounds. Sometimes you can't hear it other times you can, mostly after using the clutch a lot. I put it down to a noisy switch/plunger and will just live with it or maybe ask dealer to take a look on first service.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Martin F said:
GT86 said:
Not sure, not a click more a hollow sound but doesn't bother me.
This is how mine sounds. Sometimes you can't hear it other times you can, mostly after using the clutch a lot. I put it down to a noisy switch/plunger and will just live with it or maybe ask dealer to take a look on first service.

was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have noticed this.

If you are stationary and are holding the car on the foot brake, then come off the foot brake and put it into first gear the car makes a "clunk" which seems to be coming from the diff.

Hasn't really bothered me if I am honest, but I would like to know what it is.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Let's clarify the multiple issues..

1) Clutch 'click' - something on the clutch pedal/switch/mechanism makes a click noise when you press/release the clutch pedal. You can feel it through your left foot.

2) Diff clunk - something completely different!

·
Registered
363 Posts
gt_sjo said:
Let's clarify the multiple issues..

1) Clutch 'click' - something on the clutch pedal/switch/mechanism makes a click noise when you press/release the clutch pedal. You can feel it through your left foot.

2) Diff clunk - something completely different!

Fair point. I haven't noticed any click, only diff clunk. I thought you only got diff clunking with worn bushes or knackered fluid?

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
It's unlikely to be the diff itself, more just the entire drivetrain. I've experienced it in most rwd and 4wd vehicles.

·
Registered
482 Posts
mine was from brake pedal when releasing it not from diff happens when parked up , just very quick release i thought .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.