GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else had gremlins behind the dash trim?

The area where two pieces of trim join is notorious for it, and around the display screen too.

Popping the trim off couldn't be easier though, - child's play! it is just a case of gripping firmly and gently prising them off.
I have special trim removal tools but didn't need them, it was a doddle!

I have sorted my sqeaks by liberal use of sticky Velcro on all the main contact areas...(all invisible).

Now all I have is the 'Sounds of silence'!
Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yep, i've got some creaks around the display screen and another rattle that seems to be coming from behind the dash maybe near the back of glovebox.

Can you give me some details how you got trim off, what actual trim you're talking about and what you used to stop it. i.e. ebay link to what you used? Ta.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
en8wall said:
Yep, i've got some creaks around the display screen and another rattle that seems to be coming from behind the dash maybe near the back of glovebox.

Can you give me some details how you got trim off, what actual trim you're talking about and what you used to stop it. i.e. ebay link to what you used? Ta.

Yes mate, - just grip firmly at the base of the carbon trim piece (above the glove box) pull towards yourself and up slightly. Be firm with the grip, but don't yank.
Start at the bottom right and work clockwise arond the trim and it will pop from its clips easily (a bit too easily...thats the problem!).
Then once removed move on to removing the radio surround trim by same method, - start at the bottom left and it will pop off easy.

I used 3M Sticky velcro, (soft Felt loops) - you can get in B&Q or hobbycraft stores.

Works a treat! No detailed Senna knowledge required...

...Just as well, - eh ?

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..Forogt to say, you must put something (even insulation tape will do) on the contact surface betweenthe two bits of carbon trim, as they squeak like a bugger when in direct contact.

Hope you sort it, - it aint too hard.

Cheers & good luck.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be where the radio trim meets it - try that first?

Then check LFA's thread about head unit replacement...

I have run out of talent / knowledge now !

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Targ86 said:
mine creaks constantly where the top dashboard trim is on the top of the two central heating vents. when I press down on the dashboard above the middle if the two vents the creaking stops.

Yep I had that. You can either take it bakc to the dealer and they fit it with a special kit they can order or do it yourself.

My dealer fitted some kind oftape around the whole of the plastic trim. You cant see it which is nice and putting it all around ensures it wont come back somewhere else.......

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes... A tad disappointing.

But I had a Seat Leon Cupra and had over 20 Squeaks & rattles!

I got 'em all after 6 months though!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I've been getting quite a bit of rattle/vibration from behind the steering wheel area, near the tweeters in the corner or the speakers in the door, this is mostnoticeablewith the base booming and while driving. I was worried that the dealerhadn't done a good job of fitting the JBL. I'll have to swing by tomorrow to have a word.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Keethos said:
I've been getting quite a bit of rattle/vibration from behind the steering wheel area, near the tweeters in the corner or the speakers in the door, this is mostnoticeablewith the base booming and while driving. I was worried that the dealerhadn't done a good job of fitting the JBL. I'll have to swing by tomorrow to have a word.
Riceburner did mention they had trouble with vibrations....

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
He did didn't he.....darn it....

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GT86Owner said:
cleloid said:
I must be deaf - not really noticed anything...
The demo car didnt have any squeeks but did have a vey mild rattles somewhere in the back....

I mentioned in an earlier thread that there are quite a few issues with lose wiring... drop the rear seat and you will see it coming down from the bulkhead to the centre rear light... - could be that ?

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Senna said:
I mentioned in an earlier thread that there are quite a few issues with lose wiring... drop the rear seat and you will see it coming down from the bulkhead to the centre rear light... - could be that ?
Could be. No where near as bad as my carbon trim was rattling or the wire run under the glove box.....

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GT86Owner said:
Senna said:
Could be. No where near as bad as my carbon trim was rattling or the wire run under the glove box.....

Have you sorted that now ?

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Senna said:
GT86Owner said:
Senna said:

Have you sorted that now ?
Yeap, the dealer took both off and covered the back of them in some kind of anti rattle tape. the whole thing is now sitting on soft tape so not rattle guarenteed

The rattle under the glove box was a loose metel cable run so it has just bee padded and secured as it was supposed to be when it was built!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.