GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks the message . Up until this point Id always said Toyota Dealers had the best customer service . I had GT Celica I wish I’d kept . I bought it 1998 - Black and the best car I have ever had. I didn’t do many miles. I got to around 8500 and took ill after that I only drove it a few times . It was getting on for 4 years old when I thought i’d messed up the Alloys by using a pressure washer. I asked my dealer for advice thinking it was me as they were ok until I used a pressure washer and then they cracked all over . The Dealer looked and took about 2 mins to say I needed new wheels . He asked if it had a full size spare and it did , so he said you need 5 new wheels . I said oh heck how much is that and he said FOC they should not have gone like that under a pressure wash . We’d use a pressure wash. There’s something wrong with the coating.

I had Yarris’s with recalls , they’d make a huge fuss and give the wife flowers and a car valet kit. Nothing was ever to much trouble .

My brother in law has always had the best possible service from Northwhich Toyota , it’s where I would have liked my son to go. But he couldn’t wait for them to get a suitable car.

Where we went in Stockport got off to a bad start . We saw a 16 plate on their website 24,000 miles . Pearl White / because they go quick we went on line put a reserve on it. £99 to hold it for a viewing 48hours . It said reserved on the website and we got emails. Saying reserved . I called the garage after placing the reserve , spoke to a sales mans answerphone as prior to reserving we had spoken to make sure it was available . It was he said . Anyway no one came back to two answerphone messages and so i called at 22 hours reserved to advise we’d be there lunch time Friday / early afternoon . Our 48 hours would not be up until 4/5 pm Friday . They said hang on , let me check . Really sorry but we’ve sold the Car you reserved . I said but we reserved it . Yes I know , sorry we sold it. But we have another coming in same spec , younger , same colour 32,000 miles was a bit more mileage but it was 2017 with sports pack.
I’d have to check with my lad but it was a few £1000 more also. TBH it’s at that point we should have walked . To be continued

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The next day we found ourselves at the Dealers and the young sales person apologised about the reserved car . I asked what would be happening regard the deposit . The salesperson was really apologetic and he spoke of a lady being off sick and she looked after the reserved cars and it went wrong because she was ill. We are from a retail family and things go wrong . I remember thinking this could be happening to us and we said it’s ok , let’s see what this replacement is like. He showed it us, it was dirty and not well presented but he said it’s literally just arrived and the only way to view it today is viewed unchecked . Dirty . We said that’s fine .

continued

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sadly not all Toyota dealers are equal. There's a few bad apples in their dealer network. The one I bought my 86 from "Sold Me" a service plan which they said was a national one (not just for their franchise group). Turned out they sold me a piece of paper! I was told I needed to just hand over to any Toyota dealership and they'd settle the invoice. The sales exec expected I wouldn't try this for 12 months until my service was due, but after driving 3 hours back home the first thing I did was turn up at my local Toyota garage and show them the letter, they couldn't believe what this branch had done. It was the most unprofessional piece of paperwork out there. I chased the dealer up and threatened to take the letter public and report them to head office. They ended up paying out of their own pocket for a £900 national service plan they hadn't factored into my finance costs at all. Luckily the car is in fantastic shape and has just had a fully paid service with no issues found, the dealership I bought from though...bunch of cowboys! My local Toyota dealer are brilliant and always throwing in little freebies such as new numberplates when my ones looked a little worn, even though I was just going in for a recall with nothing to pay.

Here's the professional piece of work signed by the sales manager and sales exec (Both had apparently left the business within two weeks of me getting my car).

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Paper

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That’s incredible in this day and age . I think if I was told my tale of woe before it had happened I’d have found it very hard to believe . The experience you’ve had of freebie extra’s and stuff on recalls is much what my past experience was. I would have said what’s happened to my lad would not be believable , but I think the dealer concerned has a ‘system’ . Once the car is sold they throw you to the service side and the service manager seems truthful , down to earth . He does the I can’t really say this but ….. and then he tries to express statement lowering his voice etc . He even said he understands we’d be upset and says if it was his lad he’d be really shouting . He gives snippets of advice , tells me he rang another dealer to get perspective as this has never happened before etc etc . Of course go the way he says and the Finance company can’t take it up as there’s no financial dispute any more . Trading Standards said I shouldn’t have paid because not only did I pay the bill but they discounted the price they originally said . It even looks like we’ve agreed to a discounted repair . I feel set up. But worse than the money and worse than the dealer is the ‘shine’ it’s taken off the lads purchase . He’s not been in the car that much and noticed it was on the drive , dirty with leaves on it. The first few days he had it he’d rub a spot off with his finger, wipe down the windows . Now his car sits unwashed with leaves on it. His enthusiasm seems depleted. I asked him about it and he said the row with the garage , stress it caused he wish he hadn’t got it. He says it’s driving brilliant but he can’t help thinking about the row and negativity . He said he still loved the type , the car. He’d gone to use one of the charging points and it doesn’t work. He’s had problems with the tyre pressures centres etc.
Trouble is the slightest ‘thing’ throws up suspicion . I mailed the dealer regard the parts they took out . Ive always stated we wanted them back and they said no problem . But the service manager took them out of the car boot on the day we collected the car .Which we didn’t know until we got home. They weren’t i. the boot. Ive mailed them with no reply . They sent a mail saying in their view the car was fit for purpose and that was their final word. Since then , nothing .

I have a blog written up which I can load to the net on a website that could earn others of what happened to us . I wanted to load it up , but my wife thinks that it could cause them to come after us. The way things look we don’t have enough hard evidence , only what was said verbally and then that’s denied.

It’s been a truly awful experience .

My son was sold various add on s , one is a wheel insurance / tyre insurance . It was sold to him saying up to 30 repairs on his wheels. When we got the car it had a mark on one wheel. We pointed it out . They had a go at polishing it out , but there was a groove . When I asked about the alloy repair insurance it wasn’t covered . Plus having already been repaired nothing they could do. It’s no biggy , but I do wonder what the alloy insurance will actually cover.

I’m hoping the lad gets his ‘heart’ back regard the car . When he had his Skoda the Skoda garage offered excellent back up and free washes for life! I have a plan to take him to. toyota dealer ive heard good things about and get them to check the car over .

I haven’t given up rowing yet .

Steve

21 - 24 of 24 Posts