GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm picking mine up Saturday morning (yay!) and I've got one of the tiny 'thumbnail' USB sticks that were talked about... somewhere I can no longer find on here. Got a load of tunes on it and a couple of things occur to me. As I know some of you guys have done this already, I wondered if you could answer a couple of questions in advance

1 - browsing through the music. Does it do it by walking the 'file tree' so it's exactly like looking at it on a computer, or can you browse by say Album title or Artists name (by looking at the data stored in the MP3 files themselves).

2- playlists. Does it support playlists via USB? And if so what format does it read? There's nothing in the Touch manual about this beyond 'yeah, it'll read the playlists on your iPod' - well, I'm not using an iPod so..

Mind you, thinking about it, I wonder if I can get one of those new coloured iPods they've just announced to match the paint colour.

·
Registered
855 Posts
It shows the folders in a list, kindda like most car players do with mp3 cd's... main folder, music, is in head directory, and all folders under that is listed. Havent seen anythign about playlists yet

·
Registered
655 Posts
No, it doesn't have full functionality.

I had a weird one - went to move the car and it startwd playing some weird shi'. Some Samsung MP3 via BT, from my phone which I'd left on my desk!

Edited by: Nick Graves

·
Registered
119 Posts
New 16Gb iPod Nano @ £129. 16Gb SanDisk USB thumb drive @ £6. Makes the choice pretty easy . . . .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tonyplym said:
New 16Gb iPod Nano @ £129. 16Gb SanDisk USB thumb drive @ £6. Makes the choice pretty easy . . . .
Well, I'm buying a £28K car, a bit more for a shiny new iPod

Having had a look at the colours the iPods are made in, maybe not...

·
Registered
32 Posts
jonbwfc said:
2- playlists. Does it support playlists via USB? And if so what format does it read?
Yes it does support playlists via USB, both .pls and .m3u. I downloaded 'Playlist Creator 3.6.2', a freeware programto create the playlist onthe USB drive, but I had to play around with the settings before the media playerrecognised the files. The playlist hasto be saved as 'Absolute, without drive' in the settings.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Excellent info. I've been wondering how to do that for ages. I was assembling my tracks into playlist folders but this software is so much better. BTW where do u put the playlist file. In the root folder or??

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
I can confirm the unit does not play WAV files but will play WMA lossless.

I have a question for you guys.

I copied a CD using media palyer into a WMA lossles onto an emply pen stick. WHen I play a track it displays correctly the name of the band, the album and the track name. However, when I search by albums it display all the tracks fro mthe one album I have loaded. Sould it not just display the one album?
Edited by: GT86Owner

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Any body found a way of fast forwarding through the album list ? I wanted to listen to 2112 on my iPod and i had to press scroll down about 50 times as it did the numbers after Z and I have over 400 albums on my iPod.

The phone contacts has ABC DEF GHI etc buttons that let you jump forward, as anyone seen anything similar for albums or songs?

Alec

·
Registered
119 Posts
Maybe try the rotary knob on the right of the unit ? - this lets you spin through the radio frequencies, so perhaps it also does the same on USB tracks . . . .

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Yeah the knob on the right does let you scroll, but not much faster than using the arrows on the touch screen. When you have hundreds of albums and thousands of tracks you need some way of doing what the interface on the iPod lets you do and to scroll to the W's, or whatever letter you want

Alec

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
keelerad said:
Any body found a way of fast forwarding through the album list ? I wanted to listen to 2112 on my iPod and i had to press scroll down about 50 times as it did the numbers after Z and I have over 400 albums on my iPod.

The phone contacts has ABC DEF GHI etc buttons that let you jump forward, as anyone seen anything similar for albums or songs?

Alec
I just copied all my MP3's to a USB stick today (quite a few albums) and it comes up with the alpha buttons at the bottom of the touch screen when you are displaying the album list. Maybe there's a difference between how it handles iPod lists compared to USB sticks

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.