GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1231 Posts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be a good idea to create a thread for Cosworth owners to be able to discuss all things Cosworth related with anyone who has questions they'd like to put to current owners. I'd invite people to ask as many questions as they like, no matter how technical (we have [email protected] to help out) and we can turn this thread into a pool of infomation for people interested in anything Cosworth.

I'll start with a list of people I can think of but as more people pop along I can request this first post to be updated. I think it'd be cool to link to any build threads too. Common you Cosworth lurkers, come clean!

Stage 1 Info: Cosworth Stage 1 Power Package Range
Stage 2 Info: Cosworth Stage 2 Power Package Range

Cosworth Stage 1 Owners:
<ul>[*]Steeps (Build Thread)[*]GT86_PRAGUE[*]86alex[*]ilikesleeping[*]86alex[/list]
Cosworth Stage 2 Owners:
<ul>[*]Ade (Build Thread)[*]Flux86 (Build Thread)[*]mike-p - Sold[*]UKDucatiman (Build Thread)[*]86er[*]AdamH[*]Rich gt blanco[*]thetyrant - ex-mike-p's
[/list]
Some pictures

Edited by: Kodename47

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few people have been asking about how the staged upgrades work. You can mix and match a bit with the stage 2 so you dont need the full exhaust or any exhaust upgrade over stock if you want to keep things quiet.

Stage 1.0: Thermostat, Filter and tune. 215HP
Stage 1.1: ^ + cat back (what I have). 220HP
Stage 1.2: ^^ + catted front pipe and overpipe. 225hp
Stage 1.3: ^^^ + Manifold. 230hp

Stage 2.0: Supercharger + Stage 1.0 260hp
Stage 2.1: Supercharger + Stage 1.0 270hp
Stage 2.3: Supercharger + Stage 1.3 280Hp

You can of course buy the supercahrger as a standalone kit but you will need to pay someone to do the calibration for you. Also note the airfilter and thermostat are worthwile as they add a few hp too.

Exhaust noise volume of 1.3: 93dB N/A and97dB Supercharged.

Edited by: Ade

·
Registered
277 Posts
I like the idea of this thread.

I cant wait to get mine tuned! Need a thermostat first though. And my other parts to arrive!

Also with the thermostat does the hot air enter the cabin sooner? and is it any cooler than with the original thermostat?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Brabus888 said:
Also with the thermostat does the hot air enter the cabin sooner? and is it any cooler than with the original thermostat?

I was wondering this, does the low temp thermostat affect winter warm up times?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brabus888 said:
On my car the coolant used to sit at around 91-93C.

Which the Cosworth low temp thermostat it now sit at around 80C-82C depending how hard I drive.

I havent noticed warm up times to be any faster, though I havent logged it to compare before and after.

My cabin was toasty with climate control set to 22C when it was -4C outside this week

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
adri-man said:
Brabus888 said:

I was wondering this, does the low temp thermostat affect winter warm up times?
As long as the thermostat seals well, which both do well, no water will flow through the radiator until it start opening (90C for OEM, 76C for Cosworth) so water heat up times shouldnt be affected. I havent noticed any difference.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have mine on HI all the time, I love a nice toasty cabin! Will the thermostat effect the heat it can kick out? Should be 30 degrees ish? If it doesn't effect that cabin temp then im happy

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brabus888 said:
I have mine on HI all the time, I love a nice toasty cabin! Will the thermostat effect the heat it can kick out? Should be 30 degrees ish? If it doesn't effect that cabin temp then im happy
I havent measured the temp of the air but it seems warm enough.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Ade said:
You can of course buy the supercahrger as a standalone kit but you will need to pay someone to do the calibration for you. Also note the airfilter and thermostat are worthwile as they add a few hp too.
So if I were to buy the supercharger stand alone, would I need to also buy the stage 1.0 kit for the calibration? The Cosworth website suggests that the supercharger kit comes with the calibration files.

The stage 1.0 seems pricey for what you get, but I suppose most of the cost is the calibration file. Any idea how well it works if you have other mods, like a non-cosworth manifold?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'd rather ask here than send PM's, I know they are RAY's but what wheels were used on the demo car (sizes etc) and would being on current stock brakes affect how well they fit in the arches? The rears look to be more deep dish than the fronts. It's not my favourite wheel but on the car... I just want them!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Furnate said:
Ade said:
So if I were to buy the supercharger stand alone, would I need to also buy the stage 1.0 kit for the calibration? The Cosworth website suggests that the supercharger kit comes with the calibration files.

The stage 1.0 seems pricey for what you get, but I suppose most of the cost is the calibration file. Any idea how well it works if you have other mods, like a non-cosworth manifold?
Most of the cost is the License and the Cosworth calibrated files. If you go stage 2 you'd still need a £200 License for ECUtek flashing, and the thermostat+filter bought. The supercharger kit will include the calibration files assuming you are able to flash to them already (ECUtek license). A remap session at Fensport is ~£340 + £200 for the license which would be a better route to go down if you have a different manifold. If you're fitting 2.0 with your own manifold then Fensport should be able to make adjustments to suit your car.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Furnate said:
Ade said:

When I bought the kit from Fensport, it had on their website that the SC kit came with a calibration and licence. So when I placed the order online they were quick to inform me that the licence and calibration is no longer included with the kit. Adrian gave me the base 2.1 tune free of charge because their website was out of date. But I ended up paying for the licence.

As it says on the Cosworth website it comes with a tune, that must be correct, so yes technically you could do what I did and purchase all things separately.

Thermostat: £80
Air Filter: £35
SC Kit: £4800
Licence: £180

You can either pay someone to install it which means they'll install the tune using their programming kit or if you install it yourself, you can hire a programming kit for £60/week or purchase the programmnig kit for £280. I did the latter as I like to do data logs and it can be useful if you have an issue and need to send datalogs (not that i've had any issue).

I'd be inclinded to think the stage 1.0 tune is not compatible with aftermarket exhaust manifolds, but I'm sure [email protected] will be able to answer this question accurately.

Regarding pricing. Thermostat £80 + Filter £35 + Licence £180 = £295 so you are effectively paying £400 for the calibration and the Cosworth badge.

That calibration includes all the racerom stuff too. It's not that much if you look at what "tuners" are charging for a remap.

I really want the cosworth bagde. Anyone want to sell me theirs?

Edited by: Ade

·
Registered
772 Posts
Steeps said:
Most of the cost is the License and the Cosworth calibrated files. If you go stage 2 you'd still need a £200 License for ECUtek flashing, and the thermostat+filter bought. The supercharger kit will include the calibration files assuming you are able to flash to them already (ECUtek license). A remap session at Fensport is ~£340 + £200 for the license which would be a better route to go down if you have a different manifold. If you're fitting 2.0 with your own manifold then Fensport should be able to make adjustments to suit your car.
Thanks. Seems like I'd be better off skipping the stage 1.0 then and just getting a Fensport map, and the thermostat + filter separately. The Cosworth badge does look cool though.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Furnate said:
Steeps said:
Thanks. Seems like I'd be better off skipping the stage 1.0 then and just getting a Fensport map, and the thermostat + filter separately. The Cosworth badge does look cool though.
That's what i'd do since you have an aftermarket manifold. Adrian will be able to tweak you map to take advantage of the lower block temperature and better airflow.

If the SC does come with a tune, you can alway remove the manidold and run the cossy tune when the SC is installed. Or pay more money for Adrian to do you a custom tune again.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steeps said:
would being on current stock brakes affect how well they fit in the arches? The rears look to be more deep dish than the fronts. It's not my favourite wheel but on the car... I just want them!
I think they might be Rays Gram Lights 57Xtreme. http://https://www.rayswheels.co.jp/products/wheel.php?lang=en&wheel=57EX_STD

They are lovely and work nicely with the blue.

Brakes shouldnt significantly affect how the wheel sits, so with stock brakes they would look more or less the same as in the picture.

I say more or less because the AP racing mounting bells I have are slightly thicker than the stock discs and therefore they push the wheel out slightly.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Ade said:
Furnate said:
Steeps said:
That's what i'd do since you have an aftermarket manifold. Adrian will be able to tweak you map to take advantage of the lower block temperature and better airflow.

If the SC does come with a tune, you can alway remove the manidold and run the cossy tune when the SC is installed. Or pay more money for Adrian to do you a custom tune again.
I don't have the manifold yet, but the plan is to get one of the UELs (probably the 1320 one, depending on how Brabus888 gets on with his) and get a NA tune on that. I may well do the thermostat and filter at the same time.
SC is longer term, probably next year some time (finances permitting).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ade said:
[
I'd be inclinded to think the stage 1.0 tune is not compatible with aftermarket exhaust manifolds, but I'm sure [email protected] will be able to answer this question accurately.

to be honest I've not tried that tune with that manifold

but I don't think it would give any issues per se its just that you wouldn't get the most out the parts as the cam timing has to change quite a bit to get the most out of it

·
Registered
277 Posts
Furnate said:
I don't have the manifold yet, but the plan is to get one of the UELs (probably the 1320 one, depending on how Brabus888 gets on with his) and get a NA tune on that. I may well do the thermostat and filter at the same time.
SC is longer term, probably next year some time (finances permitting).
Unfortunately UK customs are taking their sweet time giving me the manifold. They have had it since 23rd December I believe.

1 - 20 of 1231 Posts