GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All

Anyone else seeing a lot of condensation/mist on the front and rear screens. If i turn the front and rear heaters on it goes away, but as soon as i turn them back off and carry on driving both windows get fogged up pretty quick? I am also seeing more fog/mist/condensation on my drivers and passengers windows that i would expect.

Wanted to know if i was the only one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Sounds unusual

Heater stuck on recirc; part if problem maybe

Any sign of water leaking into car; footwells, under rear seat or boot?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,716 Posts
It should 'do the right thing' if you leave it on auto. One of the problems is going from having A/C on (when you hit the de-mister) and then turning it off. The change in temperature and humidity can cause it to fog up again. Once it all stabilises the fogging should go. All cars suffer this to some degree, especially at this time of the year when the temperature plummets rapidly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
Yep same problem but its not really a problem. As it gets colder outside temp will be colder than inside temp so naturally you'll get misting. Quick blast of AC and its gone then lower the temp inside the cabin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
I'm sure everything will be fine for you.


Oh no - that's condescension.



I think because there is no insulation in the roof, the car is quite prone to condensation - it clears quickly though.



There's also something about the ventilation in most small Japanese cars - they seem to mist up the moment you get in & you need to run the a/c a lot of the time. Or drive fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,998 Posts
Sounds like you need to keep it in an evil villain / Thunderbird 2 -style secret base like mine!






Edited by: Senna
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Yes if you knock your drive through into your lounge and keep it in there on the carpet then no probs

Alec
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
If you're driving with the AC on all the time in auto, then you should have no probs after the first few minutes after getting in/starting up.

Are you saying that you are driving along and its fine, you don't change anything (e.g. turn off/alter AC) and then it starts misting up ?

If that's the case then it does sound odd.

You're not a continual fiddler are you? My wife will not leave the climate control in her car at auto 20 C, its always set to LOW or HOT, rather than letting the climate control system do it's job.

AlecEdited by: keelerad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
ITGeekLondon said:
Morning All

Anyone else seeing a lot of condensation/mist on the front and rear screens.

Wanted to know if i was the only one?
Morning!
With the weather we have been suffering, for what seems an age, up here the humidity levels have been extraordinarily high for weeks so the answer is, no, you're not the only one to notice this... Last couple of days seems to have turned a little and so have had the windows open quite a bit to air the car out when possible.

More worrying for me are the rear light clusters. We've started to notice moisture/condensation creep at the top edges on the inside of the sealed units.
It's more worrying because back in '06 we had a brand new MR2 (TF057) with a similar problem and it ended up being a bad batch of leaking light clusters that had to be changed out on a recall...


Colin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL i am a "Fiddler!" (Sounds soo wrong!).

I try and avoid leaving the air con on all the time, and in all honesty i dont think you should have to do that to stop it steaming up!

Although if thats the fix then thats what i will do!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,716 Posts
ITGeekLondon said:
in all honesty i dont think you should have to do that to stop it steaming up!

Why not? Are you able to defy the laws of physics?



Cold glass, hot/steamy human + heaters on = condensation.


A/C only resolves it due to the by-product of reducing the humidity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe i am nto explaining this very well. I have been driving a BMW 320 and an Audi TT for the last three years.

My windows do not steam up, have condensation or fog in either of those cars even when the air con is off.

Dont get me wrong, of course i know sometimes you will get condensation and this is normal, but i am talking about constantly with this car and as soon as i turn the air con off it happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,716 Posts
You're explaining it just fine. Condensation happens when there is a temperature differential between the glass and atmosphere. The same basic physics apply to all cars, so unless the Audi or BMW had heated glass (unlikely as it's a Ford-owned patent), double-glazing or the A/C on, then they would be equallysusceptible!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Interesting... You all seem to be implying that in your cars, when switched to "Auto" (at say, 21C), that the A/C is cycling on/off by itself (i.e. green light above switch)? Would that be right? That's how it worked on the climate control on my SIII Coupe but that's the first thing I noticed about the GT86. The A/C doesn't come on in Auto by itself, even if you set the temp really low... Have to switch it on myself. Do I have a faulty Climate Control I wonder?
 
G

·
keelerad said:
You're not a continual fiddler are you? My wife will not leave the climate control in her car at auto 20 C, its always set to LOW or HOT, rather than letting the climate control system do it's job.
A pet hate of mine.
I leave it on Auto 21°C rain/shine/frost.
When I get cars back from service/parking/etc some knuckle dragging chimp had invariably changed it to 18° if it's warm out or 28° if it's cold.
Leave it the feck alone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,716 Posts
CPN said:
Interesting... You all seem to be implying that in your cars, when switched to "Auto" (at say, 21C), that the A/C is cycling on/off by itself (i.e. green light above switch)? Would that be right? That's how it worked on the climate control on my SIII Coupe but that's the first thing I noticed about the GT86. The A/C doesn't come on in Auto by itself, even if you set the temp really low... Have to switch it on myself. Do I have a faulty Climate Control I wonder?

No, unfortunately the climate control in the GT86 isn't very smart and the A/C is a manual operation and not related to temperature. However, it will automatically switch the A/C on when you activate the front de-mister and the re-circ is automated in certain conditions too.


It is slightly disappointing that the climate control is a bit half-arsed.


It may be something to do with the economy figures. The manual also discusses leaving the A/C off for green driving, but I think most of us know that these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
gt_sjo said:
CPN said:
Do I have a faulty Climate Control I wonder?

No, unfortunately the climate control in the GT86 isn't very smart and the A/C is a manual operation and not related to temperature. However, it will automatically switch the A/C on when you activate the front de-mister and the re-circ is automated in certain conditions too.


It is slightly disappointing that the climate control is a bit half-arsed.


It may be something to do with the economy figures. The manual also discusses leaving the A/C off for green driving, but I think most of us know that these days.
Aha! Thanks for explaining that because the manual isn't totally clear on that score and having owned a car in which it was completely automagic (it even returned to "Auto" after using the demisting button), it was a bit confusing... Kinda detracts from the term "Climate Control" like this though doesn't it? How can it be if it can't activate the A/C when the temp drops?

Colin

Edited by: CPN
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top