GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

So when ever I hit 7k revs I get a coilpack error on "A".

I take it the coil pack is on the way out?

Best to change it for OEM or go for after market like MSD?

How much of a pain is the job, give their location!

Secondly is it worth getting the newer loom from Abbey Motorsport?

Registered
I can only guess "A" refers to cylinder one? If so, it's good news as it's the easiest one to get too 馃檪

Before you buy anything give the wiring a good look over. Check for any loose or bad connections, damage, or any weirdness in general.
If it all looks good, try swapping the coil packs between cylinder 1 and 3, clear the code and test again. If the fault moves to cylinder 3, it's most likely the coil pack. If not, it could be the wiring or potentially the spark plug?
Out of interest, how many miles has your car covered, have you ever had the spark plugs changed and have you had any work done recently?

From past experience cheaper aftermarket coils can be bit funky, so I'd recommend going OEM where possible and failing that, a manufacturer you trust or somewhere with a good warranty.

Looking the parts up... Toyota seem to have had 3 revisions, with "SU003-04713" being the latest.
Subaru may have done the same but I can only see one part number that active: "22433AA650"

I seem to recall members paying around 拢190 at dealerships but I may be wrong. It's worth calling you local Subaru and Toyota dealers to check.

As for online...
If you order from overseas looks like you can get a decent deal, even though Amazon!
If you look at the options, Amazon themselves sell this item for 拢136.08 with free 7-9 day postage from the USA. Or you can pay 拢8.80 for 2-5 day shipping.

I also found this one SU003-04713 GENUINE OEM IGNITION COIL ASSY SU00304713 | eBay, from the UAE.
As well as this one Genuine OEM Subaru 22433AA652 Ignition Coil On Plug | eBay from the USA. Which isn't subject to any extra import charges, so the price you see is what you pay 馃憤

I did also find this SUREFIRE for SUBARU BRZ 2.0 FA20 PERFORMANCE IGNITION COILPACK FK0438 SET x 4 | eBay, which looks to be an absolute steal! I'm still in two minds about it but they do have 100% positive feedback.

Registered
Personal view, go for OEM Coilpack and not over engineer it as there are loads of theories of new looms needed, new coilpacks by counter science garage. Not heard of any repeated failures yet!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cool! Thank you guys mega helpful.

Done about 89k

Turbo fitted in Feb and only started after that.

Plugs where changed around 60k when the recall was done.

Oem it is! Ill ring my local dealer and check prices.

Registered
90K ish seems fair for them to last, worth a punt trying what Kaviar has said of 1 to 3 and see if error persists.

Also two more things:

1. Someone has put up a set of OEM Coil packs for sale on the Facebook page. Are you on it? If yes, you can grab a bargain.
2. 2012 to 2014 were different coil packs ( wiring connectors are different) to 2015 onwards when it changed, so please don't buy the newer ones as they wont fit/connect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts