GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why not simply have a meeting somewhere central in the country and everyone can make it, without having loads of regional meets?

The centre if the UK is just outside Lancaster. So why not meet at the Ashton Memorial. Anyone more local than me can perhaps suggest some good driving routes. And we could start to suggest dates for all those getting their GT86s in Sept and Oct.

The actual strict centre of the UK is:
near the junction of Fenham Carr Lane and Wyresdale Road one mile south east of the City of Lancaster and close to the Ashton Memorial . (54°02′41″N 2°46′46″W ; grid reference SD4901460926

·
Registered
74 Posts
That'd be about a 650 mile round trip for me. Might be a good chance to run the car in properly but would have to check with the other half about disappearing for a day and a bit to meet with people from an internet forum.
I can imagine the quizzical looks already.

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Targ86 said:
Why not simply have a meeting somewhere central in the country and everyone can make it, without having loads of regional meets?
I do agree that we should do a UK meet. I justarrangedthe SE England one in the meantime while the main one is organised. Would the whole UK one not benefit from being a whole weekend? If I were to come up to Lancashire it'd take half a day and leave me exhausted, before then just turning round and heading home later.

Maybe add in a night at a campsite so we can all enjoy a beer or two and have a right laugh? The old CRX-UK boys used to meet and camp in Wales and then head off into the mountains for a drive on the following day, itwas always a highlight of the year! Also meant if some people could only makethe Saturday or Sunday then no-one was excluded

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the point of a UK meet. Inevitably it will be closer to the locsl guys who live nearby. But if you live in the very south or north of the UK it will be further to travel.

Regional meets are fine as travel will be short for all the people. The nature if a UK meet means it will attract the dedicated owners, willing to travel and meet owners from all parts of the UK.

My suggestion for a UK meet is Ashton Memorial just outside Lancaster as it is the centre point of the UK. That's the starter for 10.
Edited by: Targ86

·
Registered
469 Posts
I agree that the main yearly UK meet should be a whole weekend so those with long distances to travel can stay the night somewhere.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm up for it and would def make a long weekend of it. Probably hit the Lakes for some twisty stuff as well

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any UK meet is a big roundtrip for me too.

A lot of later orders are coming in Sept and Oct. So maybe towards the end of then to maximize the possible numbers? We need to get as many as possible from all parts of the UK to really max the event and hopefully show off dozens of GT86. - and maybe the odd BRZ around at that time?Edited by: Targ86

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Maybe then for next year, book a decent hotel in the Lakes around October (so it's quieter), we can all meet in a hotel on the Friday night, go driving over the lakes, have a few drinks on the Saturday night, nice meal etc, then go home on the Sunday.

The biggest problem IME is to get someone to volunteer to organise it all.

Or, as I said on another thread, do the coast to coast from Robin Hood Bay to erm the other coast. I've done this before (11 years ago!) and there were some great driving roads, plus some sort of achievement of making the coast to coast run.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Kodename47 said:
I am up for this.... but I would have to make a weekend of it - it's a 10 hour round trip for me. Maybe others having to travel similar distances would fancy doing the same? 
When are we thinking?
Hi Steve

Perhaps we can get something moving when we meet next weekend and get a topic going with details of places and agreed date with some links to accommodation if needed
Pm you later

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did the coast to coast run last weekend. Inverness to Applecross - North Sea to Atlantic Ocean. What a fantastic day that was. Pics posted on a separate thread.Edited by: Targ86

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Lauren said:
Maybe then for next year, book a decent hotel in the Lakes around October (so it's quieter), we can all meet in a hotel on the Friday night, go driving over the lakes, have a few drinks on the Saturday night, nice meal etc, then go home on the Sunday.

The biggest problem IME is to get someone to volunteer to organise it all.

Or, as I said on another thread, do the coast to coast from Robin Hood Bay to erm the other coast. I've done this before (11 years ago!) and there were some great driving roads, plus some sort of achievement of making the coast to coast run.
In total agreement on the lakes. But lets do it this year and make an annual event of it.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
TBucket said:
In total agreement on the lakes. But lets do it this year and make an annual event of it.

Make it so.

You might need to put up with some members not having a GT86 yet, but a social and drive out like this would be good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.