GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 plate, stock engine and breathing, burnt orange awaiting some body and breathing upgrades
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for the right Android head unit replacement for the standard radio and screen.

There are obviously loads out there and I’m not sure which is the best mid range £200-£300 radio to go for, for the GT86.

All the other posts are from about 4 years ago!

Any advice?

Cheers

·
Registered
14 plate, stock engine and breathing, burnt orange awaiting some body and breathing upgrades
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you fancy a full fat android unit, or one with support for android auto?
Im not sure on the difference!?

any advice?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Im not sure on the difference!?

any advice?
The full fat ones run on the Android operating system, just like a phone or tablet. Think of them as a tablet with an amp and radio tuner bolted to the back.

A headunit with Android Auto (or Apple Car Play) is more akin to a traditional headunit, with the ability to mirror some elements of your phone, like maps and media.

I guess a good way to think of it is... Your headunit is acting as a 2nd screen for your phone, allowing apps that support Android Auto, to be displayed in a way that is sympathetic to resolutions and aspect ratios found on head units. Simaler to how modern websites are responsive to different devices and screen formats.

There's a boat load of videos covering both bit unless you've got a partular need for a full fat Android unit, stick with a decent branded unit that supports Android Auto :)

Edit: Something like this would be good staring point.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I really want a wireless Android Auto unit but can't seem to find any available. Kenwood do one which apparently fits perfectly in our cars (without even needed a fascia adapter) but it's not available in the UK. And I don't fancy importing it from Australia.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Dave I got one of the 200mm kenwood units. Bought from Fasmoto in Malysia as it was the best price. Arrived in less than 2 weeks without any issue. Works perfectly just doesn't support DVDs due to the different region. But who watches a DVD in a car anyway.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Dave I got one of the 200mm kenwood units. Bought from Fasmoto in Malysia as it was the best price. Arrived in less than 2 weeks without any issue. Works perfectly just doesn't support DVDs due to the different region. But who watches a DVD in a car anyway.
You did? The model number I was looking at was the DDX919WS, that the same one?

Is it as I said, proper wireless AA and no need for a fascia? And did you get stung for import charges or anything?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
@MattGT another couple of questions (sorry, but I think I've found the head unit on the Fasmoto site and I am thinking about ordering it now :D
  • I notice there is a VSS wire to allow connection to the ECU speed sensor. I gather this only needed for Apple Cr Play (so wont bother me as I have Android), but does that mean the unit also adjusts volume automatically as the speed increases? My one gripe with this unit is that ALL the controls are touch screen, including volume. And being quite a noisy car, one annoyance with the current head unit I have is that I find myself regularly changing the volume as I'm driving, but that's about the only time I have to touch the volume. If the head unit does it automatically via the VSS wire, then that would be ace.
  • Did you need to buy a new adapter harness? I already have a Pioneer HU, which I bought second hand and it came with an adapter for our car. Should that adapter work for any aftermarket HU? Sorry, that's a rather generic question rather than specific to Kenwood, but I'm not a big authority on car audio.
  • What are you general impressions of the unit? Touchscreen speed/responsiveness, etc.

As for DVDs...doesn't bother me. Probably been at least 10 years since I even used a CD in a car, so I'm unlikely to ever bother with a DVD.
And apologies OP for hijacking your thread a little, hope you wont mind as the questions are alerting to an Android head unit :D

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The unit bought was the 919. It's great I'm over the moon with it. As for import charges and tax, it was only minimal, we came to an agreement on the value if you know what I mean.

Since its a 200mm Toyota unit you don't need any fascia it fits perfectly. It was the main reason I wanted it. I'll post some photos tomorrow.

I can't confirm how/If AA works wirelessly. I use it tethered because I have an ancient phone (galaxy S7) but it's not an issue for me. The headunit has 2 USBs so I used one in the standard location then ditched the cigarette lighter for the other, my phone sits in the arm rest.

The Kenwood supplied harness plugs directly into the Toyota so no nothing needed, I have the fensport reverse camera and it connected easily to that too.

I can't answer the speed question either sorry, I haven't terminated the VSS wire to anything because I didn't think I needed it. You will have to terminate the handbrake signal wire to ground otherwise it won't let you use AA on the move. Just a safety feature I guess.

I'm not a fan of soft touch buttons but with the unit being designed for RHD cars they are on the right side of the unit which is ideal. Gesture control is a bit of a gimmick but i got it to work nicely for skipping tracks, no good for changing volume though. Screen being HD is crystal clear, you can't fault it probably overkill if anything. Boot up time is quick, 10 seconds at most and my reverse camera operates instantly as you'd expect. It's never crashed or stuttered and always connected both by BT and AA with no hassle. Hands-free is clear for both me and the person on the other end (I tucked the mic up the top of the a pillar). The DSP is fantastic, sound quality is excellent. One nice feature is screen mirroring, so you can havs full android on the unit by using your phone if needed (idea for torque pro).

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The unit bought was the 919. It's great I'm over the moon with it. As for import charges and tax, it was only minimal, we came to an agreement on the value if you know what I mean.

Since its a 200mm Toyota unit you don't need any fascia it fits perfectly. It was the main reason I wanted it. I'll post some photos tomorrow.

I can't confirm how/If AA works wirelessly. I use it tethered because I have an ancient phone (galaxy S7) but it's not an issue for me. The headunit has 2 USBs so I used one in the standard location then ditched the cigarette lighter for the other, my phone sits in the arm rest.

The Kenwood supplied harness plugs directly into the Toyota so no nothing needed, I have the fensport reverse camera and it connected easily to that too.

I can't answer the speed question either sorry, I haven't terminated the VSS wire to anything because I didn't think I needed it. You will have to terminate the handbrake signal wire to ground otherwise it won't let you use AA on the move. Just a safety feature I guess.

I'm not a fan of soft touch buttons but with the unit being designed for RHD cars they are on the right side of the unit which is ideal. Gesture control is a bit of a gimmick but i got it to work nicely for skipping tracks, no good for changing volume though. Screen being HD is crystal clear, you can't fault it probably overkill if anything. Boot up time is quick, 10 seconds at most and my reverse camera operates instantly as you'd expect. It's never crashed or stuttered and always connected both by BT and AA with no hassle. Hands-free is clear for both me and the person on the other end (I tucked the mic up the top of the a pillar). The DSP is fantastic, sound quality is excellent. One nice feature is screen mirroring, so you can havs full android on the unit by using your phone if needed (idea for torque pro).
Fantastic. Think I might treat myself (although with the Suez canal blocked, I guess I'll be waiting longer than 2 weeks :)

Regarding import charges, did you just email them and ask them to under declare the value? I used the shipping charge calculator and it was about 50 quid for delivery with DHL, which seemed quite high, so I assumed it included charges too.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Have you seen the AVH-Z9200DAB? It looks have full Wireless support for Android Auto?
I hadn't, no...ill be honest, the Kenwood one is the only one I've found which definitely has AA wirelessly. I'll look into the Pioneer a bit more but I think the Kenwood might just clinch it for a couple of reasons:
  • It has a capacitive touchscreen rather than resistive. I currently have a Pioneer AVH-X5800DAB, which looks very similar to the one you posted and whilst it's a good unit, I'll be honest, the resistive touch screen leaves a lot to be desired. Quite laggy, often find it either not registering presses, or registering a press as a drag if I'm not completely precise. So a capacitive touchscreen more like a phone screen would be welcome, especially as the intention is to get AA so I can leave my phone in my pocket.
  • The Kenwood unit fits into the GT86 perfectly with no need for a fascia adapter.
  • Going by the site Matt bought from, the Kenwood is cheaper...currently it's about 490 including delivery (although I may end up having to pay a customs charge, granted).

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
That does undoubtedly look a tad cleaner than the one I've ordered. I will console myself with the thought that at least I will have physical volume controls, which was about the only thing I didn't like about the 919 (that and having to import it) :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice one, the Kenwood units are really nice.

Here are a couple of photos off the DDX919 anyway, for those that might interested.

20201208_074844 by mattp_88, on Flickr
20201208_074802 by mattp_88, on Flickr
Looks really neat and tidy(y). Does anyone know of any other head units with the same dimensions? I would go for this one, but i adjust the volume quite a lot, and i would prefer a physical knob.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts