GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
amcluesent said:
White and silver wheels looks a bit bland IMHO

True, but I much prefer it to the current, dark wheels, where all the detail is lost...especially when they aren't clean and the diamond finished spokes are looking darker.

Moves With Clouds said:
I don't see it in the discussion but is this about a paint job or a powder coating?
Rimtec does paint, Inspraytion does powder coating.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just popped down to Inspraytion and booked the wheels in for next week. I've decided on shadow chrome - they had an example there (a Porsche wheel) and I held it against the car. The silver photoshop above looks good, but the shadow chrome just looks a little darker, with a bit more depth, so I think that will give a bit of a contrast with the white bodywork.

Hoping it looks good...I'll post pictures when it's done :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
£65 per wheel for anything up to 18". Getting a new set of tyres delivered there too, so expensive month but at least ill save somthing on the fitting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oooh, exciting!

Looking forward to seeing the end result.

I would ask them what wheel cleaner to use/ not use as I know someone who's chrome finish wheels were ruined by the wrong wheel cleaner he used!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ignited said:
Oooh, exciting!

Looking forward to seeing the end result.

I would ask them what wheel cleaner to use/ not use as I know someone who's chrome finish wheels were ruined by the wrong wheel cleaner he used!
When I pick them up I was going to ask this. Using Bilt Hamber Autowheels which is water based and safe I think...but cant be too careful.

·
Registered
950 Posts
[RQUOTE=Conscript] £65 per wheel for anything up to 18". Getting a new set of tyres delivered there too, so expensive month but at least ill save somthing on the fitting.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the update Good luck!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Picked up the wheels this morning. Pretty chuffed, they look fantastic :)Car is at Abbey for servicing at the moment, so they won't be back on it until tomorrow at the earliest, but in the meantime here's a quick pic I took this morning in the garage (poor light, phone camera...sorry, better pics later):

Regarding cleaning, they said just avoid anything with acid, so the Bilt Hamber stuff should be OK. But they generally advise just hot soapy water. Tonight I'm going to give all the wheel a coat of Collonite 476, so hopefully keeping them clean will be a little easier.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I hope so. Just spent an hour or so waxing the wheels ready to fit them tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I took the centre caps out to give them a quick wash and now two of them wont clip back in place...wonder if the wheels are ever so slightly thicker where they mount due to the new coating. I'll give them another try in the morning, maybe the hot water caused them to expand a bit. If not, blutac!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Got them onto the car this morning. I think they look fantastic.

I whittled the center cap that wouldn't go back in down a bit then put a bit of double sided tape on the tabs, seems to be holding okay. Even took the time gave the wheel nuts a polish as they were covered in crap. Brand new tyres too; I almost don't want to drive it anywhere for fear of getting muck all over them, but the suns out so I might go out and search for a better location for photos later. For now, these will do :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
ledwardio said:
What was the cost of the refurb if you don’t mind me asking?

£260 - £65 per wheel up to 18".
Dropped them off on Monday morning, they were ready to pick up Wednesday afternoon.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was going to suggest sticking with this colour and then realised you already have them done

Looks Ace
really brings out the detail on the wheel for the better.

Need to get my wheels redone on my orange car. Was thinking the shadow chrome but a slightly darker shade for mine.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts