GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get my wheels refurbished (finally!) in the next few weeks. They all have some slight curbing, and the wheel that was refurbished several years ago when someone ran into my rear quarter, has terrible white corrosion and lacquer peel from some minor damage (and I was never that happy with the finish anyway).

When they are done, I want to ditch the diamond cut finish and revert to a single colour. I was planning with a standard silver finish - I've seen a few pictures of the OEM wheels done in this colour and think they look much better.

However, I'm also toying with the idea of a shadow chrome finish, but I'm not sure how this would look on a white car. Has anyone here had any experience with having the OEM wheels recoloured? Would be interested in any pics or experiences.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a shadow chrome finish on my Mazda MX5 wheels, to be honest I think the standard silver finish looks better.</font>
</font>

</font>

·
Registered
132 Posts
My old wheels before I went after market, I got them done satin black and they looked wicked. Got a red 86 emblem off eBay for the wheel caps and they looked nice with my red GT 86.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I'd go Lepsons black chrome all day long (they really aren't black though?)

Silver is too repmobile.

Black is pointless, you lose all definition and depth, might as well be riding on steel wheels.

Each to their own

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Silver is practical though if one is lazy (like me) to wash frequently :). Dusty, they still look greyish :D
Also the reason, why i'll never consider white wheels (even though liking that color for wheels and it imho goes well together with many car colors), as road or brake dust makes them ungainly looking very quickly. Not willing to clean/wash every day nor driving with sticking in sight like sore thumb dirty wheels many days in a row.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be avoiding black wheels personally...as Matt said, I feel they lose a bit of definition - one of the reasons I want to ditch the diamond cut and go for silver is that the OEM wheels look better when you can actually see all of the spokes, it looks like a much better balanced wheel on a white car. It seems to work OK in the picture above, but I think that's because you have dark bodywork. White cars with black wheels, the wheel often looks 'lost'.

Matt - I'll actually be avoiding Lepsons. They usually get universal appraisal. However, I know a few people who said they've had wheels refurbished there recently, which had an excellent finish, but which didn't last more than 6 months before they began to corrode again. Not sure if they've changed their process or something, but that and the high price means I'll probably look elsewhere.

As for cleaning, I am exceptionally lazy when it comes to wheels. They usually get no more than a soaking in wheel cleaner and a blast with the pressure washer. If I get them refurbed, I'll take the opportunity to put a decent quality sealant or wax on them and give them a bit more attention when washing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
They look so much better in a single colour (any colour!) so I doubt you will be disappointed with whatever you go for.

My plan is to use gloss black rattle cans on my red car when the weather warms up. Not sure how long it will last of course but very cheap and if I like it I can always have a proper refurb at a later date.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PeteT said:
My has solid silver,
I prefer this to the standard colours.

That looks cracking - they do indeed look a lot better in one colour, more like multispoke wheels and less like Halfords specials. Any budding Photoshop experts fancy changing the car colour to white?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Conscript said:
That looks cracking - they do indeed look a lot better in one colour, more like multispoke wheels and less like Halfords specials. Any budding Photoshop experts fancy changing the car colour to white?

Thank you. I like it. I took on your challenge to change the colour :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, but I meant change the car colour to white and keep the wheels silver :D(However white wheels on red car does look kinda good :))

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Conscript said:
Matt - I'll actually be avoiding Lepsons. They usually get universal appraisal. However, I know a few people who said they've had wheels refurbished there recently, which had an excellent finish, but which didn't last more than 6 months before they began to corrode again. Not sure if they've changed their process or something, but that and the high price means I'll probably look elsewhere.

Oh really? Thats interesting, I was planning to head over there, I have a rare set of Advans which i wanted refurbing... In one of their chrome finishes funnily enough, they are definitely on the expensive side. Do you have an idea of who you will be using?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MattGT said:
Conscript said:

Oh really? Thats interesting, I was planning to head over there, I have a rare set of Advans which i wanted refurbing... In one of their chrome finishes funnily enough, they are definitely on the expensive side. Do you have an idea of who you will be using?
I was planning to head to Rimtec in Meopham. However I've recently had a few people on Faceballs recommending Inspraytion, on Medway City estate, which is a 5 minute drive. Done some searches on their name and can find nothing but praise, and there's plenty of pictures of their work on their website/Faceballs. So I think I'll give them a go.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Conscript said:
PeteT said:
My has solid silver,
I prefer this to the standard colours.

Not my best work but you get the idea

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Conscript said:
I was planning to head to Rimtec in Meopham. However I've recently had a few people on Faceballs recommending Inspraytion, on Medway City estate, which is a 5 minute drive. Done some searches on their name and can find nothing but praise, and there's plenty of pictures of their work on their website/Faceballs. So I think I'll give them a go.

That's great thanks Dave, I like what i see from Inspraytion, especially the price.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts