GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone will be changing the tyres at all for their new car, either early on or after they've worn out? (NB - besides sticking on winter tyres
)

If I'm correct, the standard tyres are 215/45R17 87W Michelin Pilot Primacy which cost roughly £135 per corner fully fitted and are "Premium Touring Summer" tyres which according to this site:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Primacy-HP.htm

aren't actually that bad compared to "Max Performance Summer" tyres such as "Continental Sport Contact 3" which I've been running on my Clio 200 and they've been great and are actually slightly cheaper (roughly £120 per corner fully fitted):

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/Sport-Contact-3.htm

I don't know why but when people say they're tyres off a Prius, I was thinking they would be cheaper eco tyres....or is this just me?

Edited by: Keethos

·
Administrator
5,771 Posts
They have been designed with a lower rolling resistance in mind to aid MPG. Although I'm sure they're not bad tyres they can be improved upon. So if you stick tyres with similar grip on, expect the economy to go down.

I'm npot sure what I'll do when mine wear.... which wont be that quickly as I don't do many miles a year and my girlfriend drives like a girl. To be fair she is one

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'll be getting some track wheels and tyres.

Tbd choice depending on toon!

G

·
Everything we've heard so far has been anecdotal, unavoidably.Until I've driven on them for a while I'll reserve judgment.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Having tested 2xGT86 and a BRZ (GT86 on order) I am pretty sure that whilst the std Michelin Primacy (Prius) tyres are great for general / summer use, they are less likely to inspire confidence during a long cold winter in Northern England / Scotland.
Pushing on in icy conditions with tyres like that sounds like a ticket to the undertakers to me...

I will be swapping mine, probably to Contisport 5's or Goodyear Eagle Assy 2's...

I suspect this would dial out the mild understeer if they were on the front, at least.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Forget this mythical north/south divide. Winter in the UK is winter in the UK.

For best performance from your car in winter in the UK, winter tyres are the choice to make.

And before some people bang on about snow. It's not simply snow, more relevantly it's all winter conditions.Edited by: Speedymurr

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Speedymurr said:

For best performance from your car in winter in the UK, winter tyres are the choice to make.

And before some people bang on about snow. It's not simply snow, more relevantly it's all winter conditions.

Actually that isn't the case. The weather varies depending on the region. The north of Scotland is not the UK.

Winter can be very mild where I live. It would have been a waste of time fitting winter tyres last year as an example.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Lauren said:
Speedymurr said:

And before some people bang on about snow. It's not simply snow, more relevantly it's all winter conditions.

Actually that isn't the case. The weather varies depending on the region. The north of Scotland is not the UK. 

Winter can be very mild where I live. It would have been a waste of time fitting winter tyres last year as an example. 
I tend to agree with that.
My GT86 won't be my daily drive so proper winter tyres wouldn't be needed, just something with a bit more cold / wet weather bite than the Prius tyres!

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Ha ha...

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
As posted by Sideways earlier, this seems to answer these points with a proper test...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10253

Moral:
Dump the Primacys for some proper rubber, - I suspect in the cooler UK climate the gains would be even greater...

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Can I just check as I am planning to dump the Primacy's for some nice grippy continentals, - what are the tyres sizes?

Are they 205 Front and 215 rear ?

·
Registered
654 Posts
87W.

Unsure whether to go for the 'Lude's F1as - in the same size!

AD08s would be tempting - they are fabulous on the NSX, ifa tad under-treadded for standing water for an everyday car.

Still, have to kill theMichelins first.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I ordered mine with an extra set of winter wheels. Having sold and fitted tires for years, i know the difference, and would NEVER get caught out in winter on summer tires. Even if u may be lucky and not fall off the road, u would still save on wear and tear, since ur summer tires get torn out driving in the really cold days, and u end up having to replace them sooner.

So having an extra set, to switch, may be a bigger budget to begin with, but saves u money in the long run. And ofc gives u an added amount of grip in cold/wet weather. And as a general rule. If YOU drive when the temp is under 5celsius, then use winter tires. So, if u leave home at 4am, u will need to put them on sooner than the neightboor, who leaves at 8am... and so on .. :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
You do live in Sweden though. Having worked in Stockholm for a couple of years I can totally understand the need for winter tyres.

Are people in the UK really using them though? I never have and don't know anyone else who has either...

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I am going for Contisport Contact 5's.
Superb dry and wet grip.
Also quiet and crisp on turn in.

Nice

·
Registered
855 Posts
Malcoolm , true, i live in sweden, but in the south, weather here is quite mild, with the ocean close, and on about the same lattiude as south england. But as someone said, snow and ice isnt what makes the winter tire necesary, or economical. Its mostly temp. If u only use the car in +5 celsius, then by all means, keep the summer tires on, but by God i got so tired of people using the "well, if it snows, ill just take the train to work that day" line, to avoid getting winter tires. Mostly cause we all know, we would still take the car, to save the time and hassle of finding the train station, getting a ticket etc etc :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts