GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday was amazing! all six of us from both forums turned up at Millbrook proving ground for a pootle around.Started off on the mile straight performing different types of braking techniques at around 90mph, then straight onto going around very long corners in ONE movement no looking ahead at all.
We then went into the high speed bowl, putting into practice what we'd learnt about braking and load shifting and then straight up the sides of the bowl progressing to around 135mph (all while you were looking to the furthest end of the lane, which was always around to the left) this was amazing, never looked forward at all (bum clenching).
We then went on a fast track with all types of bends, each one put there to test you (and they did)and close to one another. Throughout the day the following course used all the skills which you'd previously learnt.
Straight after lunch was the alpine circuit, this was epic! loads of awesome corners with some lovely hairpins, negotiating through these was testing and really rewarding when you nailed it.
Next was the limits circuit where we drove until we lost the car, we did this in normal mode, sport and fully off (very interesting)
Lastly was the fun gymkhana when I proved a turbo is know match for someone who actually knows where he supposed to be going and can actually (fully) stop in the designated area. It was a right laugh "86 arse ends out everywhere (why would anyone want FWD when you can have this much fun). Congratulations to Keith who won it with a great drive and plenty of arse out moments.

Well I learnt sooooo much yesterday still taking it in really, absolutely amazing day with some top top instruction. Thanks to Colin, Paul and Jo and the rest of the 86 squad for making it truly epic.

·
Registered
277 Posts
That sounds awesome, is your GT86 turbo'd? 135mph is nearly top speed that's all im thinking, turbo is supposed to be 150 ish I believe? Sounds like an awesome day!!

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Brabus888 said:
That sounds awesome, is your GT86 turbo'd? 135mph is nearly top speed that's all im thinking, turbo is supposed to be 150 ish I believe? Sounds like an awesome day!!

Depends on the power output.

A chap in Germany maxed out at 165mph with a Cosworth Supercharger. I think thats pretty much red line in 6th so might have gone a bit more if wasn't for the gearing.

Theroretically a 300hp GT86 should do around 175mph.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nice to know, not that I would even attempt that haha.
My target is to get the cosworth SC this year, so good have the info.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Brabus888 said:
Nice to know, not that I would even attempt that haha.
My target is to get the cosworth SC this year, so good have the info.

Thanks

Well depending on where you are in Lincolnshire, im not in million miles away in Cambridgeshire nr Huntingdon. Give a shout if you fancy a passenger ride

·
Registered
772 Posts
Mine did 137 mph on the speedo, GPS clocked 130.6 mph max. I wasn't completely out of go at that point either!

It really was a great day, easily the best money I've spent for improving track performance. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Don't know how I missed this was happening, I'm really keen to do one of those. Not that I plan to track my car regularly, I'd just like to know how to drive it properly and have a little fun with it. It sounds like a great day so I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next one.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Furnate said:
Mine did 137 mph on the speedo, GPS clocked 130.6 mph max. I wasn't completely out of go at that point either!

It really was a great day, easily the best money I've spent for improving track performance. :)

Stock car is supposed to do 143mph but on an oval it will be a bit less, but you do have a bit more power.

Its great. I'm looking forward to the cornering master class. No matter what level you are they can help.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ade said:
Brabus888 said:

Depends on the power output. 

A chap in Germany maxed out at 165mph with a Cosworth Supercharger. I think thats pretty much red line in 6th so might have gone a bit more if wasn't for the gearing. 

Theroretically a 300hp GT86 should do around 175mph.

There was plenty left in it, but not in me! 135 maybe a bit more was plenty when your eyes are not looking infront of you, but to you left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts